Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I'm late but yeah, the JibJab video having Jerry was terrific. I was very mad Jerry was left out of the tribute section of Katie Couric's "2012-in-review" special.
I was shocked, honestly. Jerry Nelson might not have been a household name, but The Count was.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I don't think anyone did. His tweet before correcting the notion was hashtagged "AhAhAh", implying the Count was involved somehow.
I bet that The Count was featured in this episode. Maybe, he had a speaking role.

Yorick

Reaction score
I was watching Muppet Christmas specials recently and was knocked out by Jerry's work, as always. So hilarious or touching, depending what was needed. And I love the singing of all the Muppeteers, but Jerry's THE voice, to me. I am so very thankful that we have his voice recorded in it's many amazing forms, and with all that soul that he put into everything he did!

When I joined this board and read interviews with Jerry, the more interviews I read, the more my respect for Mr. Nelson grew.

I wish that when he was still here, he had seen all this love we've sent him since. But I know that he knew he was very much loved by us from reading some of the messages in a thread made here about him some years ago. But since he seemed to be so humble, I'm sure he'd never have guessed how much of an outpouring there would be. Although we fans aren't surprised by it (because we know he deserves all this love and more!), I think would be. And that's one of the many, many reasons why we loved him, and love him still.:cry:

Along with THAT VOICE.

theSHE124

Reaction score
Nice video, Proboman! But there's one thing I don't get: outta all these 'Public' (not counting ours) tributes, why should the Count be the most remembered character for Jerry? The website's banner always had Floyd for his annual birthday. I mean, who is his signature character???:confused:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Nice video, Proboman! But there's one thing I don't get: outta all these 'Public' (not counting ours) tributes, why should the Count be the most remembered character for Jerry? The website's banner always had Floyd for his annual birthday. I mean, who is his signature character???:confused:
I believe that his signature character must be The Count, since he's the most famous character played by Jerry Nelson. I think Sesame Street is more popular than The Muppet Show in my opinion. Sesame Street has been running for 43 years now and The Muppet Show has ran for only 5 years. This explains why more people watched Sesame Street than The Muppet Show. There's also Floyd Pepper from The Muppet Show and Gobo Fraggle from Fraggle Rock but they should deserve more importance, too. News coverages and TV tributes should've shown clips of his characters from The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock too, not just his characters from Sesame Street.

Hubert

Reaction score
I think that one of the beauty of Jerry is that he never had a "signature character." Instead, he had a variety of supporting characters that were always there at the side. I always prefer my potatoes over my meat at dinner, and I think that's how Jerry was. He was on the side, yet you still loved him just as much, if not more. He took whatever he had and made himself stand out.

So I would personally prefer a showcase of more of his characters in public tributes that mention not only the Count, but also Floyd, Robin, maybe Crazy Harry, Julius Strangepork, Lew Zealand, etc.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I think that one of the beauty of Jerry is that he never had a "signature character." Instead, he had a variety of supporting characters that were always there at the side. I always prefer my potatoes over my meat at dinner, and I think that's how Jerry was. He was on the side, yet you still loved him just as much, if not more. He took whatever he had and made himself stand out.

So I would personally prefer a showcase of more of his characters in public tributes that mention not only the Count, but also Floyd, Robin, maybe Crazy Harry, Julius Strangepork, Lew Zealand, etc.
I agree with that too, Hubert.