The Adults and Snuffy

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah. I've noticed Maria was one of the first ones to believe. I didn't know that it was Wally that sort of convinced her.
I didn't say that Uncle Wally convinced her. Retreading my post, I can see the confusion: I said that I read that Uncle Wally always believed Big Bird, and then I mentioned I read some forum gossip that there was an episode where Maria decided to believe him. When I said "him" I was referring to Big Bird.

A few additional things to bring up:
  • When Big bird first met Snuffy in episode 276 and told the adults, they didn't seem to be as annoyed. Of course, his was the first Big Bird told them about Snuffy.
  • A Walking Tour of Sesame Street has a clip where it seems the characters where teasing Big Bird about Snuffy as opposed to being annoyed about Snuffleupagus.
  • it seems the Muppets didn't acknowledge Snuffy much, but when they did, based mainly on what I've read in posts, the Muppets didn't seem to be annoyed at all (wel, Owcar did show annoyance in the book Big Bird Goes to the Carnival). When Big bird asked Forgetful Jones to watch for Snuffy, he didn't question Big Bird (and when Big Bird tried to get Forgetful to remember the meeting, he was impressed by what Big Bird remembered as opposed to thinking it was an imagination).
  • It seems like in order for the adults to believe, one of the main adults had to see him, and any other alibi was dismissed (though it seems Bob was willing to remember Forgetful if he could only remember). When Telly saw Snuffy, the adults thought he was imagining (it's a shame Telly didn't think about asking Fluffy if she saw Snuffy). I mean, what if Gordon saw Snuffy while the others didn't, would they not believe him? Olivia wasn't in the episode where he was seen, I wonder if they had trouble convincing her after all the other adults did.
  • After all the trouble Big Bird went to get the adults to see Snuffy, it's a wonder that they no longer had trouble getting to see him afterwards. I'd as if seeing a Snuffleupagus is only easy for those who believe/ have seen him without being convinced (Big Bird didn't know about his species when they met).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as the Muppets go, I think most of them either believed Snuffy was real, or were convinced otherwise by the adults... there's a clip on YouTube, where, apparently, Fluffy had gone missing, and Snuffy found her, to Telly's delight, but Telly tells Snuffy that he isn't real, that he's imaginary, but Snuffy insists he's real, so Telly decides to go get the adults to show them he is real, and he was the one who found Fluffy... though, unfortunately, as Telly runs off to fetch them, Snuffy and Fluffy decide to play a game of hide-and-seek... so, naturally, when Telly returns with the adults, both Snuffy and Fluffy appear to be gone.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I didn't say that Uncle Wally convinced her. Retreading my post, I can see the confusion: I said that I read that Uncle Wally always believed Big Bird, and then I mentioned I read some forum gossip that there was an episode where Maria decided to believe him. When I said "him" I was referring to Big Bird.
Yeah. I know what you mean and even when I wrote that I didn't think that sounded right. I do agree that it was strange that there was no mention of that in episode 2096 (aside from the fact the Uncle Wally was one of the few who didn't think Big Bird's plan was silly).

it seems the Muppets didn't acknowledge Snuffy much, but when they did, based mainly on what I've read in posts, the Muppets didn't seem to be annoyed at all (wel, Owcar did show annoyance in the book Big Bird Goes to the Carnival). When Big bird asked Forgetful Jones to watch for Snuffy, he didn't question Big Bird (and when Big Bird tried to get Forgetful to remember the meeting, he was impressed by what Big Bird remembered as opposed to thinking it was an imagination).
Well Muppets did acknowledge Snuffy sometimes. I do recall someone mentioning Bert interacting with Snuffy on an album with the Snuffy's. I always thought if Bert believed in him, he could just tell the adults since he's always been the more serious of the group and not one to imagine things. Just something I thought about.

It seems like in order for the adults to believe, one of the main adults had to see him, and any other alibi was dismissed (though it seems Bob was willing to remember Forgetful if he could only remember). When Telly saw Snuffy, the adults thought he was imagining (it's a shame Telly didn't think about asking Fluffy if she saw Snuffy). I mean, what if Gordon saw Snuffy while the others didn't, would they not believe him? Olivia wasn't in the episode where he was seen, I wonder if they had trouble convincing her after all the other adults did.
Well, remember the episode where Olivia sang opera with Placido Flamingo? When they sang about Big Bird's situation about Snuffy, she didn't seem to have any doubts there. It would have been nice if those two had interacted. After all, they did have a nice duet of "One Little Star" in "Follow That Bird." Too bad they were in different places at different times when they just happened to be singing the exact same song. It would have been nice if they had done that together at some point.

After all the trouble Big Bird went to get the adults to see Snuffy, it's a wonder that they no longer had trouble getting to see him afterwards. I'd as if seeing a Snuffleupagus is only easy for those who believe/ have seen him without being convinced (Big Bird didn't know about his species when they met).
Well, I think Snuffy's shyness had a little to do with that. Since he met the adults, I guess he felt more comfortable sticking around rather than walking away when someone was coming. Just a theory.

As far as the Muppets go, I think most of them either believed Snuffy was real, or were convinced otherwise by the adults... there's a clip on YouTube, where, apparently, Fluffy had gone missing, and Snuffy found her, to Telly's delight, but Telly tells Snuffy that he isn't real, that he's imaginary, but Snuffy insists he's real, so Telly decides to go get the adults to show them he is real, and he was the one who found Fluffy... though, unfortunately, as Telly runs off to fetch them, Snuffy and Fluffy decide to play a game of hide-and-seek... so, naturally, when Telly returns with the adults, both Snuffy and Fluffy appear to be gone.
Yeah. I've seen that too so I know what you mean. Then in the episode where Snuffy got sick, Telly definitely expressed a belief in Snuffy there. I'm not sure that was before or after that episode you described.

Also, wasn't Fluffy originally male? I know she's a female now, but in her early years on the show especially in episode 1933 (I think that's the right number), Oscar called Fluffy a 'he.' I know I'm getting a bit off topic with this, but I'm just sort of curious there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, remember the episode where Olivia sang opera with Placido Flamingo? When they sang about Big Bird's situation about Snuffy, she didn't seem to have any doubts there. It would have been nice if those two had interacted. After all, they did have a nice duet of "One Little Star" in "Follow That Bird." Too bad they were in different places at different times when they just happened to be singing the exact same song. It would have been nice if they had done that together at some point.
There is a clip at sesamestreet.org where Olivia interacts with Snuffy and Alice. I think the clip is titled "Alice Explores Olivia".

Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah. I've seen that too so I know what you mean. Then in the episode where Snuffy got sick, Telly definitely expressed a belief in Snuffy there. I'm not sure that was before or after that episode you described.
I don't know which episode came first, but Hulu lists the "Snuffy Finds Fluffy" clip as being from season 15, the same as the episode where Snuffy gets sick, so it's close to the episode.

Daffyfan2003 said:
Also, wasn't Fluffy originally male? I know she's a female now, but in her early years on the show especially in episode 1933 (I think that's the right number), Oscar called Fluffy a 'he.' I know I'm getting a bit off topic with this, but I'm just sort of curious there.
Honestly, I didn't know what gender Fluffy is. I always assumed Fluffy was male, but then upon writing in this thread I starts thinking that Fluffy was primarily a girls name so I assumed Fluffy was female.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was always under the common belief that Fluffy was female.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If they had kept Snuffy's eyes as they were in his debut episode, I would not have believed in him either. Except perhaps in my nightmares.
Well, at least in Snuffy's debut episode, Big Bird never mentioned his eyes in his description of Snuffy.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I was always under the common belief that Fluffy was female.
Yeah. I believe she is now. I think they changed the gender like they did with Azreal on 'The Smurfs.' I hear that he was originally a female in the comics. Then there's Hoparoo on 'the Flintstones.' He's generally a male, but Betty called him a female in one episode. Maybe they were considering making him a female but they sort of nixed that idea. Just a thought while we were on the subject. Anyway back to the subject of Snuffy....

There is a clip at sesamestreet.org where Olivia interacts with Snuffy and Alice. I think the clip is titled "Alice Explores Olivia".
Thanks for pointing that out. After watching that, I guess I can see why Olivia moved. Lol. I also remember the perm she had in later years.