Happy 30th Anniversary The Dark Crystal

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score

Hubert

Reaction score
Wow...I had no idea that its 30th anniversary was coming around. It isn't my favorite Henson work, but I wouldn't say that I don't like it. :scary:

Happy 30th Dark Crystal!

Laszlo

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Thra!
Anyone saw the ART OF DARK CRYSTAL exhibition back then?

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
It's so hard to believe 30 years can pass by so fast! I was so obessed with the movie as a kid when it was released. It most definitely is one of my all time favorite films! :scary:

Inspired by Jim

Reaction score
Hi there! Some friends and I, having seen the film when it came out originally, decided to do a tribute to Jim Henson and the creative folks behind the film. We presented it at the 1984 World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon). It won Best of Show for Re-creation by a Group. Details of the project with photos can be found at www.dark-crystal-tribute.com I actually got to meet Jim Henson in 1985. I presented him with a folio of documentation on the project. Enjoy!

Laszlo

Reaction score
Hi there! Some friends and I, having seen the film when it came out originally, decided to do a tribute to Jim Henson and the creative folks behind the film. We presented it at the 1984 World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon). It won Best of Show for Re-creation by a Group. Details of the project with photos can be found at www.dark-crystal-tribute.com I actually got to meet Jim Henson in 1985. I presented him with a folio of documentation on the project. Enjoy!
Wow, pretty impressive!
Did you took any photos on the Dark Crystal Exhibit, Craft and Folk Art Museum?

Inspired by Jim

Reaction score
Wow, pretty impressive!
Did you took any photos on the Dark Crystal Exhibit, Craft and Folk Art Museum?
Photos were not allowed at the exhibit, per the request of the staff of the Craft and Folk Art Museum. However, I did do extensive sketches of the characters in preparation for re-creating the costumes for the Jen and Kira.

It took a full 2 years to put everything together, and the sketches and observations of the displays helped immensely. I did find out, when the film came out, that the designs on the display characters' costumes were slightly different than the ones in the film, so it may have been that they had costumes made specifically for the traveling display, or they may have been backup costumes. I'm inclined to think it was the former. Were I in their shoes, I'd want clean, fresh, new costumes on display (best foot forward!), and not ones that had been extensively used in the film (showing wear or staining).