What We'd Like to See for Old School Vol. 4

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm really anxious and hoping that we will, indeed, get a volume 4 of Old School, as this would respectively cover 1984-1989 (Seasons 16-20), years that I remember fondly from my earliest days, since leftovers of this time period were what I was introduced to in the form of tapes and such, so that particular era (as well as the following 89-94, since I first saw those first hand growing up) is particularly special to me.

So, any way, if we do get Vol. 4, what would you like to see? I'm glad Snuffy finally being revealed to the adults is a Season Premiere, no doubt we would get to see that (especially since the only version that was previously available on YouTube was taken down because of the Noggin logo)... HOWEVER, there's some thing really pivotal about this period of the show, that I think deserves a spotlight on Vol. 4, much like the inclusion of Mr. Hooper's death on Vol. 3: Maria and Luis's wedding. Them leaving for their honeymoon is the Season 20 premiere, no doubt we'd get that, but the actual wedding concluded Season 19, though I really feel that should be included as a bonus, again, similar to Vol. 3 including Mr. Hooper's death, which was part of that respective period, and was a fitting bonus.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Street scenes from the episode where the adults see Snuffy can be viewed at sesamestreet.org.

I was going to wait until we got official confirmation of a volume 4 to make a wishlist (an official announcement would probably come around September if we get one in 2013), but since there is this thread I'll post what I'd like to seie in included:

Disc 1:
Season 16 classic cuts:
  • Imagine That
  • Rappin' Alphabet
  • Snuffy Jumps
  • Danger's No Stranger
  • Elmo Rhymes Boys
Season 17 classic cuts:
  • Happy and Sad (with Kermit and Elmo)
  • Miami Mice
  • A New Way to Walk
  • Dr. Noble Price: Cupcake
  • Bert & Ernie: Shopping List
Season 18 classic cuts:
  • Kermit's Mystery Box
  • Twiddlebugs: Smoke Detector
  • Alone in the Swamp with You
  • Ookyook Song
  • Peligro
Disc 2:
Season 19 classic cuts:
  • Paul Simon & Ladysmith Black Mambazo
  • Gordon Preaches Rain
  • The American Revolution
  • Biff and Sully: Alphabet
  • The Letter of the Day Pageant
Season 20 classic cuts:
  • Get Along
  • Bellhop #8
  • Monsterpiece Theater: The Taming of the Shoe
  • Fay Ray: Animal Costumes
  • The Word is No!

• Additional Features:
      • Luis and Maria Get Married street scenes
      • Gordon and Susan Adopt Miles street scenes
      • Gina Looks for Mr. Robinson street scenes
      • animated storybook: Ernie's Neighborhood
      • commentary by Martin Robinson and Caroll Spinney on episode 2096

I'd also like to see an "evolution of Elmo" feature, maybe an interview with Kevin Clash (With the recent controversy which shouldn't be mentioned in this thread I wonder if Sesame Workshop would have Kevin do an interview). There was also something put out for the 20th anniversary called The Sesame Street Experiment. It'd be great to see that included (part of it was uploaded to YouTube a long time ago).

The listing of bonus segments was based on how it was done on volume 3 (five per season), though I'd really like to include an extra segment or two for the disc 2 seasons (since there wouldn't be as many episodes). Of course, since Muppet Wiki doesn't have any information on the season 16 premiere, I very well could have listed some season 16 segments that do appear in the premiere (ditto with any segments from season 16 that I might have incorrectly listed as being from a later season).

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I would love to see The Count's appearance on a Miami Mice sketch. I haven't seen an English copy of that particular sketch in my whole entire life yet. :sigh:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For years I've really wanted to see The Count's appearance on Miami Mice, since it's the rarest-known Miami Mice segment, but at this point I'll settle for any Miami Mice segment, regardless of whether it's one that can be viewed on YouTube (and I feel like the ones with Ernie and Kermit are much better known) or a rarer one (I wonder if there are any Miami Mice segments we don't know about). Especially since we didn't get any on 40 Years of Sunny Days or Best of Sesame Street Spoofs!

I wonder if any Teeny Little Super Guy segments were made after season 15. If there were then I'd like to see any post-season 15 segment. It's interesting, the timeline in The Street We Live On shows the Teeny Little Super Guy theme under season 14, and the baseball segment was listed as a season 14 segment in Old School Volume 3, while 40 Years of Sunny Days has the school segment listed as from season 15, which would mean those segments were not all made (or at least not all broadcast) during the same season, but a talk page on Muppet Wiki points out a season 15 press release which refers to it as a new recurring segment (of course there is a season 12 press release which refers to several characters as new, including some who had existed in the previous season).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's what I want to see for the next Old School set.

clear the rights to the freaking theme song before you do anything else! Saying anything about the Old School 3 set is looking a gift horse in the mouth, sure... but it makes NO sense whatsoever that they can't clear their own theme song.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's what I want to see for the next Old School set.

clear the rights to the freaking theme song before you do anything else! Saying anything about the Old School 3 set is looking a gift horse in the mouth, sure... but it makes NO sense whatsoever that they can't clear their own theme song.
Well... it DEPENDS...

There are some legal issues surrounding theme songs... a few older shows, like The Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith, Bonanza, etc. ended up having a number of episodes available in public domain due to legal errors, however, their theme songs are still copyrighted, so some off-brand/underground DVD releases of those public domain episodes may or may not actually contain the original theme songs, and in some cases, have song replacements.

Apparently, that's why ALL of the music on Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs had to be replaced, because they couldn't clear the rights of the music present in the original prints, that are still heard on television.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Apparently, that's why ALL of the music on Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs had to be replaced, because they couldn't clear the rights of the music present in the original prints, that are still heard on television.
Wait, is the show in the public domain? I thought the whole series was still under copyright.

Also, while some shows may have episodes in the public domain, I'm pretty sure that there aren't any episodes or inserts of Sesame Street in the public domain (if there are, then I wish somebody could obtain a copy... though most of the inserts would still be copyrighted).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Wait, is the show in the public domain? I thought the whole series was still under copyright.
It is.

I meant to say that often times, the music of a show is also copyrighted, but some times, under a separate copyright, which is the reason behind some shows on DVD having music and song replacements, due to legal issues with the music and songs being owned under a different copyright holder; apparently, that was the issue behind ALL of the music for Rocky and Bullwinkle being replaced on DVD. Apparently, in this case, for whatever reason, Warner Bros. some how wasn't able to clear the rights to use SST's own theme song on this release, which is why the episodes are missing their respective main titles and funky chimes closing, there are no credit crawls as bonus features, and apparently episodes that utilized instrumental rearrangments of the theme had music replacements.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'd also love for this bit to be on the next volume: