What We'd Like to See for Old School Vol. 4

Drtooth

Reaction score
I meant to say that often times, the music of a show is also copyrighted, but some times, under a separate copyright, which is the reason behind some shows on DVD having music and song replacements, due to legal issues with the music and songs being owned under a different copyright holder; apparently, that was the issue behind ALL of the music for Rocky and Bullwinkle being replaced on DVD. Apparently, in this case, for whatever reason, Warner Bros. some how wasn't able to clear the rights to use SST's own theme song on this release, which is why the episodes are missing their respective main titles and funky chimes closing, there are no credit crawls as bonus features, and apparently episodes that utilized instrumental rearrangments of the theme had music replacements.
Yeah, I know about how stupid music rights are... but, unlike all the other cases, Sesame Street has been on 40+years continuously, and they're still using the same theme song. Why the theme song of a current show can't be cleared when the show supposedly owns the song yet none of the other songs are blanked out.

They need to secure the rights to the Sesame Street theme song before they release a single other Sesame Street release. I don't see why of all things that's the rights tangle.

mr3urious

Reaction score
This is why copyright laws can often bite people in the butt. :rolleyes:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This week I've had a number of dreams regarding a fourth set.

First, I dreamt that Sesame Workshop asked fans on facebook to let them know what clips they want on volume 4 (I just suggested "any or all of the Miami Mice segments"). Then, I dreamt that the set was out and actually had some episodes that weren't season premieres, including one which featured a lot of fireworks, Oscar protesting against them, and then Oscar and Bruno crash-landing as a result of the fireworks blasting them off... Causing Bruno to be scrunched to the point where only his head and feet were shown (and Oscar's can was squashed into his body). As well as having the rarely-seen "Surprise!" song with the cast (only it was different from how fans have described it, taking place in front of a white background and being a bit more like the "Big Hello 1-20" segment). As well as having the song with Bob and Simon Soundman from episode 1899, beginning with an alternate angle. And then last night I dreamt that the set had a bonus street story, titled "Shivers the Penguin", only Shivers appeared in one scene, without Big Bird and speaking full sentences (in contrast to the one Shivers clip online, where he only says "hello" over and over), the main plot being about Big Bird and Snuffy playing a game involving clues. And a soft drink company actually promoted the fact that the set had something with Shivers by releasing two-litters with his picture on them.

Dreams can be weird. They can also get my hopes up.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is why copyright laws can often bite people in the butt. :rolleyes:
But it's just so weird, y'know? They managed to clear all these celebrity appearances and usage of outside copyrighted characters, but not their own song. It's not something I should mind as it doesn't affect the episodes, but the logic (or lack thereof) of the situation is kinda annoying.

That said, what else I'd like to see for volume 4? One lousy Deena and Pearl bit. We're due for one of those falling out the Sesame Vault.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That said, what else I'd like to see for volume 4? One lousy Deena and Pearl bit. We're due for one of those falling out the Sesame Vault.
They were only on the show for season 12, not sure if they're segments were repeated after season 12 (or, if they were, how long they were repeated). I'm hoping that the season 16 premiere (which Muppet Wiki has no information on) just happens to include one of their routines. Or that maybe Noggin cut one of their segments from episode 2096 (then again, if that were the case, shame on Noggin!). Or maybe if anything gets cut they'll replace it with one of their routines.

Then again, volume 3 had season two's "Henson Ball #3" (with the season six ending) listed as a season 15 segment (and volume 1 mistakenly listed season two's "Rubber Duckie" and "I've Got Two" as season one clips). Maybe they'll incorrectly include a Deena and Pearl segment as a season 16-20 segment (I prefer they be correct with the seasons, but if they mistakenly put any much-earlier segments under season 16-20 classic cuts, I'd want 'em to be rare segments).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking of the possibillities of a volume 4, and after thinking about it and looking at the episode guides at Muppet Wiki, I actually feel less excited about a potential volume 4 than I did the existing ones (while I feel a little more excited about a set of the season 21-25 premieres, for a number of reasons).

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still buy a volume 4 on the day it comes out, but most of the known contents don't excite me as much. Sure, it will be great to finally know what's in the season 16 premiere (for the sake of the set I'm hoping it's like a "gold mine"* for fans and collectors, though it'll probably be less than the gold mine I'm hoping for) and to know what Noggin cut from episode 2096. I do want episode 2096 on DVD, and the Miles' birthday episode looks interesting, and it'll also be great to have Jazz #8 on DVD, but many of the best clips in the episodes have already been on video (especially in past Old School volumes). I'm not too excited about seeing the first part of Maria and Luis' honeymoon, or the trip to the zoo, though they might be better than I think (some of the "street stories" in volume 3 are a lot better than I had expected before seeing them).

Of course there'll probably be some really great bonus features, and I'm sure I'll be happy with many of the bonus clips. Hopefully the bonus clips will include some clips that we haven't even heard of (it seems the late-1980s had less "holy grail" inserts that we are aware of), in addition to clips that should have been released on video years ago.

Thinking about it, I think I'd like there to be a collectors set full of inserts from seasons 1-15 in the summer, and an Old School Volume 4 in october or november. I wonder how likely Sesame Workshop/Warner Home Video would release two sets for the adults.

*In this case by "gold mine" I mean it'd have previously-unreleased Sesame Street News and Monsterpiece Theater clips (I don't think there are many unreleased MT clips from before 1984), maybe a Super-Grover or Waiter Grover segment, some clips from the first season (I'm hoping a non-2 Jazz Numbers and Baker film, and any Muppet clip from that year), and appearances by most if not all of the following characters: Biff, Sully, Bruno, Dr. Nobel Price, Don Music, Forgetful Jones, Sherlock Hemlock, pre-Kevin Clash Elmo, and maybe Deena and Pearl, Aristotle, and Leslie Mostly (those characters were discontinued by then, but I don't know if they continued to show their inserts). I know it's wishful thinking, and probably far-fetched for the episode to have included ALL of those things.

tpirman

Reaction score
I know one thing I'd like to see on the Old School Sesame Street volume 4:
Rush Hour by Joe Raposo - Watch/Listen to this sample:
I have not seen this in years, but this audio sample is all there is for now.
It's a rare song.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Any early Elmo footage. After seeing "Being Elmo" I'm more interested in knowing about Elmo's earlier Sesame Street scenes.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The one episode I clearly remember seeing as a kid that I'm almost positive is from that time period that no one but me seems to remember- lol. (I'm sure a lot of us have that experience though with particular Sesame Street memories...):batty:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Does any of the Old School DVD's have the adults believing Big Bird over Snuffy being real?