TMS Seasons 4 and 5 Petition

OpenVaultDisney

Reaction score
Hey guys, Head Admin Jason here from Open Vault Disney. The second petition you guys have been sharing on this thread came from my group. I first want to thank you guys for supporting it, it has done a lot better since Muppet Mindset started sharing it, but we still have a ways to go. I've been dealing with a number of different fan bases and people since Open Vault Disney has been up and running, and each seem to have different feelings when it comes to online petitions.

I want to say, our approach is to use everything at our disposal. So, while I feel online petitions do have some usefulness, especially on Change.org, it is not the most powerful tool in our shed. We just had a phone call event calling Disney Home Entertainment. I hope many of you joined us. That is actually our most powerful tool. After that would be letter writing. But, once again, our feeling is to use everything, so any and all help you guys can offer is great!

The last thing I wanted to mention was about the story on the Muppet Mindset. I have a source as well over at Disney Home Entertainment (who shall stay anonymous to protect the source's employment), and from what I have been told, DHE wants to release the last two seasons, but music rights issues have been the what is holding things up. This is speculation for now, but I would tend to agree that Season 4 stands a great chance at being released around the time of the next film. In fact, I tend to feel that if the next film is a hit like the last one was, we might start seeing more vintage Muppets on DVD, or at least it might be more likely.

That said, until it happens, it's not happing. So, we need to make sure Disney knows from time to time that there is a very active fan base that wants these titles yesterday. Thanks for all you guys do and I hope you join us on our next campaign activity.

muppetperson

Reaction score
For those who are sick of waiting, you can find places on line that sell unofficial boxed DVD sets of all 120 uncut episodes.

Hubert

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance know of an email address that we can send emails to regarding this?

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Does anyone by chance know of an email address that we can send emails to regarding this?
Just go to the Disney DVD site, go to contact and contact them there. My advice to anyone who wants to get anything released on DVD is email the DVD company and call them too. Also write letters. That's what I do. I even contacted lionsgate about releasing The Jim Henson Hour by phone. My key to it is be polite yet formal. A DVD company might say "we don't take unsolicited..." and just mention it's a DVD request. I think the best examples I've seen in terms of fandom internet getting something to be released and returned in the history of Muppet / Henson fans was Fraggle Rock coming to DVD inspired by an online petition and the return of Farscape (personally I never really cared for Farscape).

Drtooth

Reaction score
The last thing I wanted to mention was about the story on the Muppet Mindset. I have a source as well over at Disney Home Entertainment (who shall stay anonymous to protect the source's employment), and from what I have been told, DHE wants to release the last two seasons, but music rights issues have been the what is holding things up. This is speculation for now, but I would tend to agree that Season 4 stands a great chance at being released around the time of the next film. In fact, I tend to feel that if the next film is a hit like the last one was, we might start seeing more vintage Muppets on DVD, or at least it might be more likely.
We keep getting conflicting news about the music rights. We hear that it is the hold up and then we hear it isn't. I really thought they hammered the music rights up once they did season 2. If they have to renegotiate them, we just want to know which old sourpuss owns those music rights so we can at least make passive aggressive remarks about how much of a sourpuss they are.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
We keep getting conflicting news about the music rights. We hear that it is the hold up and then we hear it isn't. I really thought they hammered the music rights up once they did season 2. If they have to renegotiate them, we just want to know which old sourpuss owns those music rights so we can at least make passive aggressive remarks about how much of a sourpuss they are.
Yeah I figure that too and the thing about music like TV and whatever media form, it's all own by separate copyright holders and owners. But at the same time the media industry has changed, sometimes songs are not owned by the musician but record companies who are owned by another company that owned by, etc. Some are Union or the RIAA. It's complicated. By theory is that the reasons who newer shows come out on DVD faster then older ones is probably because of contracts of distribution. Since shows like The Muppet Show were made around the time before Home Video had the capability to release seasons of shows and not just clip combinations. I'm noticing the same kind of problem with another show I like called Spitting Image (British late night political satire puppet program from the 80s and 90s). Even though they parodied a lot of stuff, there was a lot of stuff edited out, even punchlines to jokes that don't seem offensive at all. On the box it says "the episodes differ from their transmitted versions due to contractional reasons".

I think Disney is trying their best to make the other season box sets not end up like the edited Season 1 box set. Though what's weird is the Germany release of Season 1 had the musical numbers on there that the US release didn't. And I think the Twiggy episode is altered which has nothing to do with it's DVD release but it there was something about episodes being re-filmed a little bit to include German celebrities or something like that. I remember reading at it somewhere.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I am watching the unofficial set, and it is strange that Brian Henson introduces the john Denver episode, so has it been on DVD before or video, and if it was cleared before, why are there issues now? All the remaining ones come from the Disney Channel, so once again, how come they screened and cant be released now.Are screening rights for DVD release different from TV screening?:confused: