Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Again... Why does there have to be trouble? Hasn't Piggy attract—er, I think that line's been used already. C'mon guys, let's try to have something positive happen for the Muppets. At least until the awards are over. Then we can go back to the usual dread and doom conjured by the double whammy of Seymour and Scribbler on both coasts' fronts.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
So you know Aunt Ru, I've read and loved this update. Am thankful to have this huge chunk of fic for tomorrow as I'm riding a giddy football high. :fanatic: Please, continue when able. We'll come back for more each and every time.
Thank you, Sweetie! You have no idea how much it means to get such a nice review. Writing is a rather solitary occupation, requiring lots of time, even if it's acquired in odd bits and dribs, and we wait on tenterhooks to see if our readers "get it." Receiving a thoughtful and thorough review is like hearing the applause from the crowd, and it can sure keep you going when you're down.
Piggy: I told you you were a diva. A drab one, but a diva nonetheless.
Ru: Er...um, maybe....

Misskermie

Reaction score
UPDATE YAY!

More Bunsen and Beaker in there!
Poor Beaker! :big_grin:

And I love that little line about Gina wanting to fix Newsie's tie. That got the little giggles out of me.

But more about the frog!
Kermit's nervous!

You're TEASING me Ru.

Must... Get.... Kermit... To... Kiss Piggy.... Soon....
*passes out and hold up a sign, that says, "Please Update"*

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 140: It’s Not What It Looks Like (Part I)

(Okay, just so you know: I was tempted to call this chapter, It’s Whatnot it Looks Like, but I behaved myself. I wanted you to know that I practice a little restraint!)
I also found that—apparently in a fit of delusional optimism—I had labeled some of my notes for writing this section: Notes to writing staff. (I have a writing staff? Where the deuce have they been all this time?) This chapter is too big to post in one post, and there are lots of characters in play. I’ve done my best to deal fairly with the timeline in three different time zones, but we’ll see….
Enjoy, enjoy…and if you do enjoy and do wish, post please. It is so nice to know you are there….

His cameraman, who seemed decent enough if not friendly, had gone looking for the little raccoons’ room, and Scribbler was left to collect his thoughts, few though they may have been. They were not nearly prestigious enough to have an actual, allocated area of their own, so they were on the lookout for anyplace they could use without the risk of someone higher up in the hierarchy telling them to move. Scribbler was used to being told to get lost, but he wanted to avoid actually being made to move once they got settled.
“Junk-writing hack,” muttered a guy with teeth so brilliantly white that they were a little scary. “You know, some of you tabloid guys ought to shove off so the real reporters can work.” His suit cost more than Scribbler had made last year, and Scribbler felt the bile rising in his throat.
“Huh,” said Scribbler, eyebrows climbing innocently. “Could be. Do you know any real reporters?”
The man’s handsome face formed a sneer and, quick as—well—a flash, Scribbler raised his camera and took his shot. The man’s eyes widened in alarm, and he hastily composed his features into something more pleasant.
“Good one,” Scribbler said, grinning insolently as he examined the picture and saved it. “I’ll have to post that one when I run out of junk to write for my tabloid….”
Mr. Handsome and his camera jockey made themselves scarce.
“That was pretty fast thinking,” said a voice near his kneecap. Scribbler looked down in surprise and saw a rat with a microphone. Behind him, a gerbil trailed along with a small digital camera, the disproportionate size of which made him look like he was carrying a couch. “You sure got the upper hand with that dweeb.”
“Wasn’t hard,” said Scribbler honestly. “I think his dentist accidentally bleached his brain cells.”
The little rat laughed and slapped his knee, and even the hapless gerbil smiled. “You must write for the comedy channel,” said the little rat. He stuck out his paw. Bowing to the inevitable and the present company, Scribbler took it.
“Bradley,” said the little rat. “Scoop Bradley.”
“Scribbler.”
“This here’s Leonard,” said the rat, jerking a thumb toward the gerbil. “He don’t talk much, but he can get in places what other folks can’t.” The gerbil gave Scribbler a thumbs up, oozing cool. “Scribbler, eh?” mused the little rat. “Scribbler, Scribbler, hey—I know that name! First name Flint?”
“Fleet,” said Scribbler, ready to cringe.
“Yeah—Fleet. You’re that guy who wrote all that stuff about Miss Piggy! Say—is that stuff really true?”
Scribbler was caught up short. “Um….” He stammered. “Well, she’s in New York now, so—“
“Not that stuff,” the little rat said dismissively. “I meant the old stuff. Oh man, my old man had such a thing for Miss Piggy. Used to turn in to The Muppet Show like it was the news. You was writing about her even before then, right?”
“I was,” said Fleet, feeling such a strange mixture of pride and shame. So, even though his recent work was mostly drivel, there were some who remembered him from his glory days.
“Is she everything they say? I hear she’s giving the frog a run for his money and breaking his heart! Shame, that. He seems like a nice guy.”
Scribbler avoided the last topic. “She’s wonderful,” he said firmly. “Talented, driven—a real old-school glamor girl who can sing and dance and act. Not many of those around anymore.”
“Anne Hathaway,” said the gerbil. “And Meryl Streep. That’s it, I think.”
“I still like Bernadette Peters,” said Scoop. “And that Jane Krakowski is a talented gal.”
“She was in that musical Scrooge thing with Kelsey Grammar—right?”
“Yeah,” said Leonard. “She can haunt my dreams anytime.”
It was hard to know what to say to that.
“So,” said Scoop. “You here to pick up what you can pick up?”
Fleet thought about it a moment. That sounded depressingly accurate, but he tried to put a better spin on it. “I’m, um, here to cover the awards for my paper.” He jerked his head at the raccoon now holding the camera and inspecting the rat and the gerbil with interest. “We’re doing video for the webpage.” Now that they were friendly-like, Scoop did not snort or make any embarrassingly accurate observations about Scribbler’s paper.
“Us, too. I’d love a real career-making break, but when they all turn out, it’s hard to sort out the winners from the also-rans.”
Scribbler nodded. Another reporter, scruffy but alert, joined their conversation. “It’s all the cable stations,” he said. “Everybody what has a bit part on some show thinks they’re the NBT.” Scribbler and Scoop nodded.
“Hurley,” said the reporter, thrusting out a hand. Scribbler had taken the rat’s paw, so he had no choice but to return the firm handshake, and found the man’s piercing eyes on his face.
“Scribbler,” he said.
“Scoop,” said Scoop. “And Leonard.”
“What’s hot tonight so far?” Hurley said. Scribbler sneaked a peak at his pass and saw that he represented a paper not far from his own in the food chain. Oh, well. At least he had company. Kermit had the lovers and the dreamers—he had the rats and the bottom feeders. It figured.

The guy who was wiring him for sound had decided it was easier to pull Kermit’s coat up instead of bending to meet Kermit where he was. Kermit found that he was listing unavoidably to the right and tried to keep his footing. “There—you’re ready to go,” said the man, releasing him with a suddenness that made Kermit step back to keep from falling.
“Um, yeah,” said Kermit, trying not to squirm as they adjusted his lapel mike. When they were done with the microphone clip, someone stepped in to straighten his jacket and his tie, and Kermit—surrounded by kneecaps—began to feel mildly claustrophobic. He turned his mind deliberately to happier thoughts. This was, he thought, a lot like some of his earlier dates with Piggy, both of them excited to see each other, hoping for a moment or two of alone time but plagued by the ever-present crowd and a slew of cameras. Well, he’d felt plagued then by the cameras, but tonight he was trying very hard to be grateful for them. Very hard.
Thinking about those early days, Kermit smiled, thinking about the first time he and Piggy had kissed on camera, both aware of the many pairs of watching eyes. He had been reserved, but Piggy, if anything, had seemed to enjoy the audience, or his discomfiture, or both. When the script called for her to pucker up, up she puckered and yet…and yet her kisses had been so amazingly personal. When Piggy kissed you, scripted or otherwise, the world tilted on its axis, and Kermit had been hard-pressed not to fall off the edge. At least it explained (although it hardly excused) why he had been guilty of scripting some of their, um, interactions and why he’d been so wary off-camera. He tried not to think about the fact that Piggy was currently kissing someone else on demand, but the fact that it was a live audience cheered him just a little. In a live show, you got one shot at getting it right—in movies, it might take, oh, 23 before the kiss was in the can and the pig was back in her trailer.
He was thinking about that, thinking about her, and thinking about how he would play to the cameras if he had his girl on his arm tonight. But he didn’t, and he had to think how this was going to play, and how he planned to play it when he saw her.
Lost in his reverie, Kermit was jostled by the press of the crowd. According to Scooter, there had been some sort of mix-up and some of the media teams had arrived at their designated spot on the grid to find another network already set up and ready to go. Although they had tried to make a sort of private interview area with the backdrop, attendees and on-lookers continued to walk through the set. Kermit craned his neck, trying not to seem obvious, and Scooter appeared by his side as if by magic.
“Yeah, Boss?”
Kermit’s mouth quirked a little at the corner. He had a split-second image of Scooter as a turbaned genie from a bottle, conjured up in readiness for his master’s wishes. “What time is it? I feel like they’ve been setting up for forever,” Kermit murmured, barely moving his froggy lips.
Scooter was equally subtle, answering without shooting his cuff or consulting his PDA. “We’re a little past our time, but they’re talking to New York, so they’re aware we’re having difficulties.”
“What are the difficulties?” Kermit said. “And why are there all these people wandering through where we’re setting up?”
“One and the same,” Scooter said. “Some of the places that were assigned to specific news groups were also assigned to other news groups, so there’s been a lot of petty warfare going on.”
“I heard about that,” Kermit said. “But…but do you think it’s going to mess up our thing with Piggy in New York?” He looked around and made a scrunchy face that Scooter knew well. “All these people keep walking through. It’s not going to be very organized looking if people keep walking through.”
“Agreed,” said Scooter, sighing. “It’s a shame Meredith couldn’t come.”
Kermit made grumbly noises but knew it couldn’t be helped. Reporters had lives, too, and they had the same interruptions as performers. If Meredith Vieira couldn’t come, he would have to suck it up and make do with the perky young blond woman who probably hadn’t graduated high school when he and Piggy were making movies together. “Yeah,” he said finally, more to cheer Scooter than out of any real acquiescence.
“Well, you’re certainly close to the action,” Scooter soothed, jerking his head toward the entrance not a hundred yards from where they stood. “The entrance is spitting distance from here.”
“I’ll try not to spit,” Kermit muttered, and allowed his right-hand man to straighten his tie again. His erstwhile host was returning, and Scooter melted away and left Kermit to be charming.
“Hi Mr. The Frog. I’m back,” said BrandeE. “Sorry for the confusion earlier, but we’re about ready to go. Want to tape an intro real quick?” Her voice was friendly and professional but she did not make eye contact with him—not once. He forced his voice to be hearty.
“Sure, um, BrandeE,” he said, hoping he pronounced her name right. “I’m ready to get started.”
She looked at him, finally, having adjusted her cleavage to her satisfaction, and her smile was mostly friendly, if not especially interested. She flashed a bigger smile at the cameraman, who gave her the “go” sign.
“This is BrandeE Vargus on the red carpet with Conan the Frog,” the young woman said, her brown eyes very wide.
“Kermit,” Kermit said. “It’s Kermit.”
“Oh! Oh—right. Let’s do that again.”
“This is BrandeE Vargus on the red carpet with Kermit the, um, Frog,” the young woman said, her brown eyes very wide. “And in a moment we’re going to be talking to Miss Piggy, the star of the upcoming Fozzie’s Angels, due this spring from Rainbow Productions.”
“This, um, summer,” said Kermit, trying not to be alarmed. They’d already pushed the schedule back once, and he did not think he could stand any additional studio pressure to move the release date back any more.
“Oh! So the movie is coming out this summer! And Miss Piggy is your co-star in this movie?”
“Well, Miss Piggy is my wife,” Kermit said. “And she’s, um, she’s starring in the movie.”
“With you?”
“Well, no, actually. I mean, sort of. I’ve only got a small part in the movie. This time. I’ve been spending more time off camera—behind the camera—and this is more of an, um, Miss Piggy vehicle.” He had moved past enthusiastic and was well into uneasy. He could hear himself sounding stiff and slightly irritated and tried to stifle it. This reporter obviously hadn’t been prepped for this interview, and she barely seemed to know anything but her name and her…her neckline.
“I guess you’re excited about talking to Miss Piggy tonight,” she said.
“Oh, um, Piggy and I talk all the time,” Kermit said. “And we, um, text a lot, too. But I am looking forward to seeing her in her costume for the show.” He heard the defensiveness in his voice, the whininess, and worked to silence it. He rolled his shoulders, trying to banish the tension that was coursing through his wiry frame.
“That’s right!” the blonde bubbled, eyes growing wide. “She’s on Broadway now, and you haven’t been to New York to see her yet!” gushed the reporter.
Inwardly, Kermit sighed. So far, nothing about this interview had gone right—not the reporter and not the setting and not one single thing had come out of his mouth. This was certainly far from the intimate little venue he and Marty had imagined when they set this up. “Not yet,” he said with as much excitement as he could muster. “But, boy, I’m looking forward to it! The critics just love her—which should come as no surprise.”
“And what about you?”
What about him? What about him? He tried to make meaning out of the last question and formulate an answer. The movie release date…Broadway opening…critics—oh! Surprise—she was asking if he was surprised!
“Oh, I’m not surprised,” Kermit said, and was startled and horrified to find her looking at him as though he’d just asked her to factor quadrilateral trinomials. His mind searched desperately for the right conversational groove, skipping wildly over the previous comments. “Um…about the critics loving her, I mean. Why wouldn’t they? She’s, um, Piggy’s very, er, lovable,” he babbled. Kermit was glad this wasn’t live yet because he knew that Marty and Scooter would probably both have their hands over their faces by now, stricken with mortification, and he tried desperately to salvage the statement. “Um, Piggy can do whatever she wants. She’s amazing.”
“And right now she wants to be on Broadway!” said BrandeE. Kermit gritted his hard palate, trying to remain friendly and professional.
“That’s right. Piggy wants to be on Broadway, and boy, does Broadway want her. I’m so proud of her. I’m so glad she’s getting this opportunity while I’m, um, busy getting things done here.”
“What kinds of things?” asked the reporter, her voice skeptical. Kermit could have murdered her.
“Post-production sort of things,” said Kermit, smiling and faking calm. “The boring stuff directors do between the time a movie is filmed and when it’s released.”
At the word “boring”, the reporter looked mildly alarmed, but tried to recover by giving Kermit a big fake smile.
“Well, that certainly sounds interesting. We’ll be back in a moment with Kermit and Miss Piggy,” she chirped, and stared fixedly into the camera. The camera light went off and the smile vanished. “Did you get anything we could use?” she asked, talking over Kermit’s head.
The cameraman shrugged, avoiding eye contact with Kermit. “Um, maybe we could run it again in a minute? Maybe try to get a little more, um, oomph when we return?” he said vaguely.
BrandeE looked at Kermit as though he were the village idiot. “Can you do that?” she asked.
“Got it,” said Kermit. “More "oomph" when we return.” If she noticed he was gritting his teeth behind his polite smile, she didn’t let on.
“Exactly!” BrandeE said, and went looking for her spring water.
Once again, Scooter appeared at his elbow as though conjured, but Kermit spoke before he could. “I know,” he moaned. “That was terrible.”
“That reporter is terrible,” Scooter muttered darkly. “She doesn’t know a thing about what’s going on!”
“You know—you know what, Scooter?” Kermit said suddenly, careful to keep his voice low. “I’m—I’m going to count that as a good thing, you know? She doesn’t know what’s going on, so she probably can’t bring up anything that, um,….” He looked cautiously behind him to see if they could be overheard. “You know,” he said. “About the, um, brunch thing.”
“Hey—yeah!” said Scooter. “Look—she seems, um, easily led. So why don’t you just lead the conversation the way you want. If she isn’t ready with something specific, just take over and say what you want to say.” Scooter saw Kermit thinking that through and then the beleaguered amphibian firmed up his jaw and smile.
“Yeah,” Kermit said, warming to the idea. “Yeah—that sounds good.”
Scooter grinned and clapped him on the back. “Attaboy,” he said, and faded out of view.

His grin faded as he receded from Kermit’s line of sight, and his jaw set in an angry line. This was not what they had promised them when they said Meredith couldn’t come! Where the heck had they found that poser? Although Scooter was developing a good head of steam, he couldn’t help but be cheered and calmed a little by the sight of his girl.
“Ooh!” said Sara, practically shaking with indignation. “The little idiot!” she fumed. One of the first rules of a good interview is “Know your subject well”, and that required no small amount of research. “She didn’t even get his name right—how hard is that?
Scooter made a face, nodding to agree with her while he answered his phone. “Yeah,” said Scooter. “Did you get the video?” Scooter had used his phone to send part of what had just transpired to Marty, and Sara could hear what sounded like an angry herd of buffalo on the other end of the phone line.
“I know,” said Scooter. “I know. Okay. Okay—call me. I’ll be waiting.”
He ended the call, looking slightly less grumpy. “Marty’s on it,” he said. “He’ll get it straightened out.” He looked down to find Sara looking both guilty and defiant, not quite quick enough in hiding her small camera. She’d been recording the interview. He looked at her, and her lips pouted slightly.
“But you’re working!” she started to protest, but she never got to finish. Scooter leaned forward and kissed her lightly on her pouty mouth.
“Yes, Pot—I’m black, too,” he said, and grinned. Sara’s heart just melted. He understood!
“I just can’t stand being here and not being part of the media,” she explained, then stopped and shot a mean look at the reporter. “And I don’t like the look of that reporter. She’s more interested in her—“
“Yeah,” Scooter said. “I noticed.”
Sara rounded on him. “You noticed, did you? Well—“
“Boy, you sure look swell in that dress!” Scooter babbled, and Sara stopped, pressed her lips together and kissed him on the cheek.
“*** for tat,” she said. “I guess I can’t fault you for noticing one without the other.” She turned back as the interview seemed to get underway again, realizing she hadn’t hit the pause button. Oh well, she thought, cheeks flushing slightly. I can always edit our conversation out later.
Sara also did not look at her watch—fashionably dressed ladies out on the town did not wear timepieces, because they were carefree and did not need to worry about the time. Sara could practically hear Thoreau’s voice in her ear, coaching her, and though she remained smiling and tried to appear carefree, inside she was muttering. But even though she had no watch, Scooter knew what her worried silence meant. There wasn’t much time to fix it before they went live.

“Wow,” said Gonzo. “You’d think in this crowd there’d be at least one more polka-dot tux, but it looks like I’m still fashion forward!”
“Oh yeah,” said Rizzo. “I think you cornered the market on style tonight, buddy.”
Rizzo spoke out of the corner of his mouth, but his eyes were otherwise engaged. Lots of starlets tonight all trying to make a splash in what they weren’t wearing, and it was better than the latest issue of the Victoria’s Secret catalog.
They’d run into Rhonda (Woof woof! What a body!) and Newsie and Gina a little while ago, who had informed them that Kermit (and Scooter) had already gone on to the interview. Immediately thereafter, they’d smelled something odd and turned to find Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker outfitted in matching tuxedos and surveying the crowd with interest. Even in the glare of camera and marquee lights, the trim on the lapels and trousers of their tuxes shone. Beaker’s outfit was impeccable, but his hairdo needed some work. Gonzo looked at Beaker’s expression and decided not to mention it.
“Hey guys—where’s all the action?”
“Me mee mee mee meep,” said Beaker stiffly, trying to smooth down his ‘do.
“I’m practically giddy,” said Bunsen, putting a hand over his mouth. “I just know this year is going to be our year!”
Rizzo snapped his fingers. “That’s right. You guys doing the dinner, right? Instead of the show?” Technical awards were given before the night’s festivities.
“Well, Beaker seems to have lost his appetite, and I’m too nervous to eat, but we’re going for the award part.”
Beaker coughed discreetly and a little puff of smoke emerged, which Rizzo looked at askance. Before he could comment, there was a stir in the crowd and he looked up to a wonderful view of a dress that seemed to be made of nothing but little hanging strings of minute beads, shimmying and swaying as a well-rounded bottom passed.
“Hubba hubba,” said Rizzo, and Gonzo turned to look.
“Oh,” he said, disappointed. “Let me know if you see any birds.”
“Will do, roomie.”
“Or kangaroos.”
“What--?”
But Rizzo’s question hung in the air as Gonzo grabbed him and turned him, pointing over Rizzo’s shoulder to a familiar but unwelcome figure about a hundred yards away.
“Look what the cat dragged in,” Gonzo rasped.
“Hey!” said Rizzo indignantly. “What’s he doing here?” Rizzo started forward, but Gonzo caught his shoulder.
“There’s no need to engage him here, Rizzo,” said Gonzo. “He’s probably just covering the awards show.”
“I don’t want to engage him,” said Rizzo. “I want to give him a piece of my mind and a knuckle sandwich!” He started forward, but Gonzo stopped him by the simple expedient of putting his hand over Rizzo’s head and holding him.
“Hey!” Rizzo complained. “You’re messing up my hair! Let go, already.”
“Promise not to do anything that will call attention to us,” said Gonzo. Rizzo just stared at him—at his bright blue fur, weird schnoz and multi-colored polka-dot tuxedo, then gritted his teeth.
“Fine,” he muttered.
But Beaker was already disgruntled, and his friend and lab partner was clueless, so there was noone to impede him. He marched up to Fleet Scribbler and tapped him peremptorily on the elbow. Scribbler turned, his eyes flew wide and the camera raccoon, sensing news or danger or something began to film.
“Mee MEE MEEEP ME ME Mee Meep!” Beaker said.
The round-headed scientist was right behind Beaker, and Scribbler, thinking fast, gave a wide, insincere smile. He’d been practicing it, and it was pretty darn good.
“And we’re live,” Scribbler said, waving at the cameraman wildly. “This is Fleet Scribbler on the red carpet,” the reporter said, trying to channel Guy Smiley’s boundless enthusiasm. “I’m here with Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker, who have been nominated for their latest scientific video from Muppet Labs. Do you have anything to say, gentlemen?”
It was obvious from his expression that Beaker had plenty to say to the man who’d been hounding their studio’s first couple, and while the specter of a national audience stayed his hands, it did not constrain his lips. The normally mild-mannered Beaker’s temper had been building since the “little electrical oopsie,” (as Honeydew referred to it) and it eventually got the better of him. He erupted into fast-pitched, agitated “meeping”.
“So…you’re excited about your chances?” Scribbler said, grinning maniacally. He had no idea what the tall, thin scientist was saying, but Bunsen apparently did.
“Oh, Beakie—such language!” he chided. He put his hand on his assistant’s arm and dragged him away from the camera, but only succeeded in moving him as far as his other side. Then, without warning, Bunsen put his hand over Scribbler’s on the microphone. The raccoon backed up for a better angle, grinning broadly. This might be the most exciting thing that happened to them all night!
“Well, hello there science fans! I’m sure that, like me and Beaker here, you’re waiting with bated breath to see who is going to go home with the gold for Most Realistic Special Effect Where Noone Was Hospitalized. I know I am. We’re feeling pretty buoyant about our entry—aren’t we, Beakie?”
Beaker didn’t look buoyant. He looked murderous. Scribbler worked to keep the bespectacled scientist between them and tried, with increasing determination, to reclaim his microphone, but Dr. Honeydew had already bonded with the audience.
Fascinating,” Fleet muttered, trying to wrestle his microphone away. “But I thought I heard Muppet Labs had more than one nomination this year?” His smile, already forced, was becoming desperate.
“Well,” said Honeydew disapprovingly. “We would have had two entries, but Beakie just insisted on having that fungal infection looked at by an expert.”
Here, Beaker stopped berating Scribbler over the top of Honeydew’s head to stare at his associate. He went on, oblivious to his colleague’s ire, and the scientist returned his attention to the hapless reporter.
“But all’s well that ends well!” Bunsen said. “And we’re very excited about sharing our entry with a national audience. Aren’t we, Beakie? Beaker?”
Bunsen turned and Fleet put both hands on the microphone and heaved, but he had obviously underestimated the little scientist’s grip. Reporter, scientist, assistant and microphone all went down on the red carpet. The raccoon operating the camera followed the action to the ground, managing to document a fierce but short-lived tussle over the microphone. Scribbler eventually emerged, battered but triumphant, to face the camera.
“And there you have it,” Scribbler said through gritted teeth. “Another exciting nomination to watch with interest! Stay tuned to find out if Muppet Labs can bring home the blessing of the Academy!” He grinned fixedly until the little “recording” light went off, then slumped, lowered his microphone and glowered at the cameraman. The cameraman shrugged and blew an iridescent pink bubble with his gum. Scribbler bit back a sharp retort. Plenty of time to beat the idiot with his own equipment after this was all over. He stalked off, waving for the mammal to follow.

“Look out,” said Tricia. “Catwomen from Mars must be making a comeback!
They giggled maniacally about the fashion faux pas currently on display. It had tried for edgy and instead, had slid right over the edge.
“I remember Joan Blondell,” said Mabel. “What a class act she was. Whatsamatter with some of these young ladies who don’t know any better than to hang everything out on the front porch. A little mystery goes a long way.”
“Oh! Look! It’s Kermit—no. Darn. It’s just that stupid promo again. When are they going to be on?”
“Any time now,” said Mabel. “I think the idea was to catch Piggy backstage before her show.”
“It’s a shame she couldn’t come back to present with Kerm,” said Clifford. “But with the show sold out she can’t really disappoint her fans.”
“Yeah,” said Tricia. “The crowd wants what it wants. You have to do what you promise.”
“The show must go on.”
“I wish this show would go on,” said Mabel. “I’m ready to see a little frog/pig love.”
“That should cure what ails Kermit,” Clifford grunted. “Least until he can get up there to see her.”
“And I’ll bet Miss Piggy misses Kermit,” said Tricia thoughtfully. “It must be hard to be away from everybody you know.”
“Howard and her designer, Thoreau, are up there with her,” said Clifford. “They probably spent the entire afternoon getting her ready.”
“Well, her morning was certainly full,” said Mabel dryly. The rumor mill eruption had eventually been eclipsed by pre-show buzz and there was hope that—with nothing to fuel it and this appearance to put rumors to rest—it would die from lack of oxygen.
The commercial ended and there were more perfect Hollywood bodies all parading around in everything imaginable. No frog. No pig. Grumbling, they settled in to wait.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 140: It’s Not What It Looks Like (Part II)

The camera crew were very professional and accommodating. The gentleman wielding the camera seemed in awe of Piggy and hastened to make any small adjustments that seemed necessary.
“I won’t be on camera with you,” said the young lady helping Piggy adjust her lapel mike. “But I’ll be right here if you need anything and to troubleshoot.” She craned her neck to see how the lights were coming. “Can we get a little more light right here? And is it okay to turn down the lights on the stage itself? I want the stage to be visible in the background but not—good. Like that. Great job.” She turned and smiled at the director. “Thank you for being so flexible, Mr. Lowry. It’s very nice of you to let us back here while you’re getting things ready for tonight.”
Mr. Lowry smiled, looking serene and comfortable. He could take the stage himself, Piggy thought, and hid a smile. Although he’d been outwardly “directorial” with her and the rest of the cast, he had made sure that she was aware of both his intention and his desire that she have every little thing she wanted while she was here. She knew that that was attributable, in large part, to Marty, but she also felt that Lawrence was smart to know which side his bread was buttered on. The uncomfortable vibe that she’d gotten from him the other night had vanished, and she had found him pleasant and attentive today. The fervor of the Sunday matinee-goers—usually a sleepier, more laid-back crowd—had pleased him, and he had loosened the reins just a little. Piggy had realized at some point that some of his discomfort had to do with not being able to assert his usual level of control over backstage just because she was here. Kermit had long ago made an uneasy peace with not being in control of what he was in control of, but she could see how this might rankle someone who was used to being king of all he surveyed—or directed.
Bobo hovered just on the edge of her peripheral vision, and Piggy sighed and gritted her teeth. He could be a bit thick, and she reminded herself that he was here for her protection. Although she had almost convinced herself that she did not need help, she knew it was making her Kermie feel better to know the bear was here. They quit fiddling with her microphone, and Thoreau dashed in to smooth the lay of her sweater.
“Smile,” he murmured, and Piggy turned and flashed him a smile that was more of a grimace. Although it did not show, Piggy’s tummy was all aflutter. She was going to see Kermit! And he was going to see her!
“Moi is smiling,” she muttered.
Thoreau stopped and put his hands on his hips. “Don’t make me pull out the rubber ducky to wave around to get you to smile,” the dressmaker said severely and that did the job. Piggy not only smiled—she laughed, and the sound of it cleared the air.
The reporter smiled, the cameraman’s smile broadened, Mr. Lowry smiled and Piggy smiled. “Looking good, Miss Piggy!” called Bobo.
Piggy gave a queenly smile. “I was thinking about standing over here beside the curtain like this….” She struck a pose, hip cocked coquettishly, and fluttered her eyelashes.
“Beautiful,” the cameraman murmured. “Gorgeous. Now talk to me.”
“Hello Mon Capitan,” said Piggy, pretending to address her beloved frog. “It is Moi, all dressed up and ready to go on! How are the Academy Awards?”
“That’s going to be great,” said the reporter, nodding with satisfaction. She looked at her time. “They should be cued up any minute now. Let me see what’s happening there.”
“You looked wonderful!” Howard whispered in a stage whisper that would have carried to the back row.
“Ohhh. Thank you, Howard,” said Piggy. “Do not miss the overture on account of Moi,” she cautioned. She was pretty certain that walking into Les Mis late was not only forbidden, but illegal, given the scarcity of tickets.
“Plenty of time,” Thoreau insisted. Mr. Finkel was outside with the cab awaiting their appearance to whisk them away to their show.
“Go when you need to,” Piggy said, trying to look patient even if she didn’t feel patient. “Once I am talking to Kermie….” She did not complete her sentence. She did not have to. Once she was talking to Kermie, everything else in the world would cease to matter.

“Um, look, BrandeE,” said Kermit when his host returned. He smiled in what he hoped was a winsome manner. “I’m just a little distracted tonight. Could we…could we try the intro again?” He gave her his best pollywog eyes, the eyes Piggy swore were irresistible, and the perky reporter smiled.
“Sure,” she said. “Let me, um, get another sip of…water here,” she said, “and we’ll do that again. We’ve got enough time to run it again before we go live with New York.” She walked toward her assistant, reaching for the bottled water she held forth and tugging on the already-low neckline of her gown.
Kermit sighed and rubbed the aching spot between his eyes. Why, oh, why couldn’t he just get out here in front of the camera and act for goodness sake? And why, he demanded of himself, was it so hard to act like he missed Piggy and wanted desperately to connect with her. Fozzie’s words ran through his head and, instead of waving them away in irritation, Kermit stopped and thought about them. He didn’t want to appear uninterested—he was already battling the impression that Piggy’s absence had left him “free” to do whatever he wanted, when all he really wanted was to finish the movie and go and be with her. But he didn’t want to appear desperate and despondent because she was gone. That would imply he didn’t think she was coming back, or that he couldn’t function without her. Thinking that, Kermit reached for his bowtie again, certain it must be crooked. It was, and Kermit felt a pang of unhappiness and resentment. Piggy always tied his bowtie correctly, and it was her fault he was…whoa. Whoa. Where had that come from? Was he…did he resent Piggy going to New York, when he had practically forced her to go? Was he…was he mad at Piggy for being there while he slogged away at work? Everything was spinning through his head and he tried to sort it out, but BrandeE was coming back and he needed to get his head together. He wasn’t mad—he was…he was lonely. And lost. And in need of his pig to make everything okay. But everything was going to be okay when he saw her. Everything was going to be great when they could see each other and talk to each other and it would all be fine. Kermit felt a peace wash over him that he’d not been able to access before, and turned to face the young reporter calmly.
“Thanks so much, BrandeE,” he said. “I’ll tell you what. It is not good for a frog to be alone. Piggy would have kept me on track!” He smiled, oozing charm, and the reporter perked up a little.
“Well, we’ve got her on standby now. How ‘bout we just jump right in?”
“That sounds great! I’m definitely ready.”
BrandeE looked toward the cameraman and her eyes opened wide while her mouth dropped open, staring at something over Kermit’s shoulder. Behind him, Kermit heard someone say, “Is this him? The green one?” He looked around when someone said “Kermit? Kermit the Frog?” The voice was not familiar but someone was obviously hailing him. He saw a generously endowed dark-haired woman closing in on him wearing what Piggy would have described as “part of a dress”. Kermit had not thought it possible, but she was showing more cleavage than his hostess. He backed away politely and warily. The last thing he needed was a shot of him appearing to ogle some starlet’s assets, and he did not plan to give the paparazzi any fuel for the fire.
Before he could even say “Hi-ho”, she had bent over (very unwise, in his opinion) and swept him up in a full body hug and a cloud of perfume. “Kermit!” she cried, as though they were long-lost friends, and proceeded to plant a kiss over one of his aural organs, leaving a bright red lipstick smear. Hastily, Kermit disengaged and tried to step back, hoping to deter her—or at least learn her name.
“Um, hello Miss,” Kermit said. “Have we met?” For answer, she laughed and reached forward to hug him again.
“Oh, Kermit—you are such a tease,” she said. “Come on--you know me!” She turned and gave the camera a stunning smile and a deep shot of her bountiful chest.
He stepped back in alarm, very aware of the cameras. He put his hands on what he fervently hoped was her waist and pushed politely, trying to put some distance between them. Her dress was covered in little beaded strings that shimmied against her generous curves. He looked back at his hostess, who was staring in slack-jawed amazement. “I, um, don’t believe we’ve been introduced, um…Miss?”
“Oooh! Ms. Kardashian!” cried his hostess. “How nice to see you! I’m talking to Kermit the Frog now—“
“I know,” the woman gushed. “And I am such a fan! I watch him all the time on Sesame Street!” There was another huge smile for the camera and what appeared to Kermit’s practiced aural organ to be a pause for applause. It took all of his effort not to scrunch up his face in annoyance, but he was determined to be good-natured in front of the cameras, which were still rolling, if not live.
“—and in a minute we’re going to be talking to Miss Piggy! Please stick around—I’d love to talk to you!”
“Well….” said the woman, pausing dramatically, “I don’t want to intrude….”
Kermit knew at once her coyness was insincere. He had watched Piggy sabotage more than her fair share of on-screen moments with an innocent-appearing intrusion, and he was pretty sure he still remembered how to shut one down.
“We’re, um, sort of in the middle of something here, Ms., er, Kardashian,” said Kermit stiffly. “If you could wait over there—“ He pointed vaguely with his right arm. “—until we’re done….” He smiled his polite, firm, I’m-the-director-and-that’s-final smile and registered the surprise and poorly-concealed indignation and fury on the woman’s face.
“How dare you!” she huffed. “You obviously have no idea who I am!”
“I’m afraid I don’t,” said Kermit, and felt as much as heard the crowd nearest them draw back in shock and horror.
“Well, I don’t care what worked for Katy Perry,” said the woman. “I am not about to be told to bug off by some…some lizard!” The crowd began to edge toward them.
Kermit started to correct her, but he could already tell that he had touched off a firestorm unwittingly. He knew from experience that the best tactic when dealing with irate, overwrought starlets was to be distant and polite but firm. “I’m sure that BrandeE would be happy to talk to you after our interview is over,” he said soothingly, but the only effect was to inflame the young woman further.
“Oh, please, Ms. Kardashian,” said BrandeE. “I would love to talk to you. It’s just that we have this remote interview we’re in the middle of and if you could just wait—“ The crowd was murmuring, some wanting to see the interview, some wanting to see what the noise was about. Kermit searched vainly for Scooter, but couldn’t see him over the press of the crowd. What he would have given for Piggy right now—she could have dispatched this young lady with, er, dispatch.
“I’m not blinking waiting for anyone,” the starlet shrieked. “I get millions of hits a day on my website, and I am not going to be told to wait by some no-name reporter and a reject from children’s programming.” She turned and started to stalk away. BrandeE surged after her, fawning, all-but-forgetting Kermit and Broadway in her haste to get the interview.
“But—but, oh, Ms. Kardashian!” BrandeE pleaded. “I would much rather interview you than—oh! Thank you! Thank you for waiting!” There were sounds of approval, and some of outrage, from the throng of people now pressing close.
Ms. Kardashian had stopped walking away, but it had nothing to do with the reporter’s pleading. She pulled up short, and at the same moment Kermit felt like his arm was about to be pulled from its socket. He heard the woman say “Oh!” and then there was another wrench that pulled him practically off his flippers.
“Ah! Ow! Hey—wait a minute!” Kermit gasped. As the young woman turned to face him, he was slung around to her side, and they both stared down in horror to find that his cufflink—the beautiful, intricate, amethyst cufflink in the shape of a dragonfly—was firmly enmeshed in the little strings of beads on her dress. His wrist was firmly attached to what was—very obviously—not her waist. They gaped at each other.
“Your dress is caught on my cufflink—“ he began.
“Oh yeah? Well your hand is caught on my—“
“It’s not my hand!” Kermit cried. “It’s my wrist!”
“Then your wrist is caught on my—“
“It’s a cufflink!” Kermit almost shouted. There were laughs and a few ribald comments.
“That’s what they all say!” someone shouted, and Kermit felt his cheeks flame with color. He was mortified by the crowd, but it was nothing to the mortification he was going to feel if they went live with New York and he was stuck here with his arm around this young woman’s, um, dress. If he occasionally battled the green-eyed monster, Piggy had made a house-pet of it. He had been careful to have very few occasions to incite her jealousy, but he did not think expecting to have an intimate little conversation with him on camera only to find his arm around another actress was going to do anything to improve his miserable condition.
“I didn’t ask you to put your hand on my—“
“I did not ask you to barge in on my interview!” Kermit snapped, and there was a crowd reaction that felt ugly to him. Children’s entertainers were often held to a higher standard, and although he had not done children’s work in years, he could see that many were surprised that he had raised his voice but he couldn’t care about it right now. “I am supposed to be talking to my wife right now.”
“That’s what they all say!” the woman smirked, and Kermit looked up at her with such a look of disdain and indignation that she shrank back—or tried to. When she moved, he moved, and there was nothing they could do about it.
“My wife,” Kermit gritted, “is the only woman I have any interest in. She is waiting for me right now, and I have been—“

“What on earth is going on?” Sara asked. A crowd had gathered—suddenly—around Kermit and she could no longer see him. Scooter was in the same boat.
“I…don’t know. Maybe they’re waiting to see the live feed with Miss Piggy,” he said, but he didn’t much believe it. Something was off, was wrong. The feel of the crowd was all wrong. “I’d better go check,” said Scooter, and started battling his way through the crowd. After a moment, Sara plunged in behind him, still holding tight to her camera.

“Sweetie,” Gina said urgently. She tugged on The Newsman’s sleeve. “There’s something going on over near the door. Rhonda said you need to come.”
Newsie looked up from his conversation with a well-known composer. “Tell her I’ll be right—wah!”
Now!” Gina said, hauling him bodily away. She flashed the composer a big smile and her legs. “Please excuse us,” she said, and dragged Newsie over to where the crowd was thickest.

The crowd was so tightly packed that Sara had to employ some less-than-ladylike moves to get through, but when she reached Scooter near the center of the knot of people, he was just standing there, jaw agape.
“Scooter—what’s going…on….”
“This is bad,” Scooter whispered. “This is very bad.” Sara could only nod.
A moment later, Fozzie pushed in beside them, took one look at the scene before him and fainted dead away in Sara’s arms.

“D’ja hear the buzz?” asked one of Scribbler’s fellow, er, journalists.
Scribbler fought the urge to step back. Although he wasn’t drunk, the man’s beery breath was overwhelming.
“Which buzz?” Scribbler asked, not really interested, but that changed at the man’s next words.
“That frog—the guy from The Muppet Show?—he’s over there with his arm around that Kardashian chick.”
Scribbler almost dropped his camera. “He—Kermit what?” he blurted. “Where?”
The man pointed, and Scribbler saw the crowd, heard the excited murmur that meant news—or tragedy—was occurring. Scribbler felt his heart leap in his chest. If that little froggy fink had the nerve to be cozying up to--!
“C’mon!” he yelled to the camera guy, but the raccoon was already loping toward ground zero.

“—waiting for this interview all day.” Kermit looked at her and her dress and made a scrunchy face that clearly expressed his disapproval.
“Well, I was only being friendly,” she whined, wilting a little. Some of the crowd made sympathetic noises, and Kermit turned and looked around him in horror. There were so many people so close to them that it was impossible to have a private conversation, which was, perhaps, just as well. All of a sudden, Scooter burst through the crowd, panting and breathless.
“Boss,” he said. “There’s an army of reporters all heading this way to get a shot of…this.” He looked at Kermit’s wrist, the way his hand appeared to be— “Oh, wow,” he said softly. This was worse than it had sounded, and it had sounded pretty grim just on description.
“Scooter—thank goodness!” Kermit gasped. “Help me—it’s my cufflink! Get me loose!” He glared at BrandeE who was just standing there helplessly, gaping. “We’re going to go live with New York any second now!”

Sara saw Gina run by and snagged her elbow. Newsie ran on, honing in on the sound of Rhonda’s voice and trying to spot Tommy the sloth. Briefly, Sara explained to a horrified Gina.
“Oh no! Poor Piggy!” said Gina.
“Poor Kermit! We’ve got to get him some coverage before one of these cameras gets a clear shot of--”
“Right,” said Gina, looking around desperately. She spied the backdrops that different networks were using to pose celebrities in front of and ran over to one, starting to drag it forward.
“Hey!” objected the flunkie who’d been left to guard it when everyone else had run over to see the commotion. “You can’t take that.”
Gina smiled a knock-out smile. “Oh, sure I can,” said Gina. “See—I’m picking it up, and I’m carrying it away….” She turned over her shoulder when she was about twelve feet away. “Thank you!”
Sara had rounded up some help—sortof. Beaker and Honeydew had been pressed into service, and when they saw Gina approaching with the panel they ran to help her.
“Help me make a privacy screen around Kermit so noone gets a shot of…what this looks like, okay?” They dealt with the crowd by the simple expedient of plowing through them. In a crowd less interested in being un-rumpled, they might not have made as much headway, but as it was, they soon had erected something like a three-quarter screen around Kermit and the very disgruntled starlet. To close the circle, they had backed up against a neighboring backdrop. It wasn’t exactly camera-free—BrandeE was still flailing around uselessly with her cameraman—but the networks would not be flooded with footage of Kermit standing around with his arm around one of the most recognizable backsides in entertainment.
Scooter squeezed inside the small enclosure next to Kermit to see what could be done.

Scribbler and the raccoon had edged all along the crowd, but there was no hope of getting in through the press of people, and whatever was happening was happening out of sight right now anyway. From what he gathered, Kermit and one of the Kardashian sisters were behind a set of screens doing who-knows-what. Was this part of the interview with Piggy in New York? Were she and the Kardashians friends? He didn’t think Piggy had ever mentioned them…. Even so, Scribbler doubted that Piggy would want anyone to horn in on her conversation with hubby dearest tonight, even a close friend, and especially not one as known for her salacious escapades. So what was Kermit doing behind a screen with an internet sex symbol when his sexy, glamorous wife was waiting for him in real time to do a real interview on real television? Whatever it was, it would look bad. It would be bad, even if it wasn’t. For the first time that evening, Scribbler felt like things were going his way.
“Can you get in?” Fleet asked. The raccoon shook his head.
“It’s too tight,” he said. “If I could get up higher, I might shoot over….”
They looked around for something to climb….

“Dang it, Goldie,” said Rhonda. “I can’t see what’s happening.”
“Well, Kermit was standing there with his arm around that…that woman,” Newsie finished. “And then they disappeared behind some screens, and then Scooter went behind the screens, too.”
“Don’t tell me!” Rhonda snapped. She pointed at Tommy and the camera. “Tell them.”
“But—but what do I say?” Newsie said. “Kermit was supposed to do an interview with Piggy.”
“Then talk about that?” Rhonda said. She gave him three fingers, then two, then one….
“This is the Newsman for KRAK, your headquarters for Muppet news. We’re here at the Academy Awards where CEO and President of Rainbow Productions Kermit the Frog is getting ready to go live with his wife and frequent co-star, Miss Piggy, who is currently starring as Betty Rizzo in Grease! on Broadway. Mr. and Mrs. The Frog were slated to present an award together tonight, but their plans were interrupted by the opportunity for Miss Piggy to do a star turn on Broadway. We’re expecting them to reconnect—by satellite feed—any moment now!”
Not bad, Rhonda thought grudgingly. Goldie could spin with the best of them.
“We’re waiting now to bring you the latest news about Fozzie’s Angels, the newest movie from Rainbow Productions, currently in post-production.” Out of the corner of his eye, Newsie spied Fozzie, who had recovered and was hovering nervously nearby. Newsie reached out, snagged his jacket and pulled him in front of the camera. “Tell us, Fozzie, about the new movie that recently finished filming.”
Fozzie looked at Newsie, wide-eyed. “The new movie—?”
“Yes!” the Newsman said heartily. “The new movie. Tell us what’s going on inside the studio.”
Rhonda would have said it was impossible, but Fozzie’s eyes got even larger. “Oh!” he said. “The movie. I could talk about the movie!
“That’s right!” said the Newsman, grinning and trying not to grit his teeth. “We want to hear all about it.”
Fozzie might not be everyone’s first choice for dealing with a crisis in the moment, but he was top-notch after the first shock wore off. Just like he had when Kermit had been frozen, Fozzie stepped to the plate ready to go. “Well, the movie is going to be wonderful,” he gushed. “I’m in it—that’s why it’s called Fozzie’s Angels—and I play a mysterious character named, um, Fozzie. And these three beautiful women work for me doing jobs that noone else can do.”
“Three beautiful women, huh?” said the Newsman.
“Yes! Miss Piggy is one of them. She’s kind of the boss of the group. I mean, not that she’s bossy…well, she is bossy, but it’s okay. It’s in the script.”
“What about the other lovely ladies?”
“Well, Janice and Camilla play the other two angels, and they are very good. It’s going to be a great movie.”
“I’m sure it is. When is it going to be released to theaters?”
For a moment, Fozzie looked panicked again, then thoughtful, and answered slowly and carefully. “It’s going to be in theaters by summer,” he said.
“What a summertime treat!” said Newsie, feeling hokey as all get out. “So…what can we expect to hear tonight from Kermit and Miss Piggy?”
“A lot of mush,” Fozzie blurted, then covered his mouth with his hands. “Oh—gosh. Can we edit that out?”
“We’re live,” said the Newsman. Standing next to Tommy, Rhonda was grinning her face off. These little unscripted moments were golden.
“Well,” said Fozzie, taking his fancy hat off and holding it in his hands. “It’s true. Miss Piggy is on Broadway and things sure are quiet around the studio.”
“You mean now that filming is over.”
“Yeah—let’s go with that,” said Fozzie. “Oh! And in this movie, I get to tell a few jokes! Want to hear them?”
“Er….” said Newsie uncertainly.
“It’s okay,” said Fozzie. “They’re scripted.”
“Oh, well then—“

“Sure thing, Chief,” said Scooter, glad to have something to do. He clambered between the backdrops, wedged himself next to Kermit and tried to get a good look at the problem.
“Do you mind!” said the woman, and Scooter turned as red as his hair.
“Sorry,” he mumbled. “I’m just trying to get the cufflink—“ His fingers felt slick from anxiety and nervousness and he was more than passing aware of what he was working, um, near.
“Can you get it?” Kermit asked, trying to look. When he shifted, they all shifted.
Scooter wanted desperately to say, “Got it, Boss”, and be the hero of the hour, but it wasn’t happening. “It’s stuck,” said Scooter. “The wire from one of the antennae is stuck through one of the beads. I don’t know how—“
“I don’t care how!” Kermit cried, and saw Scooter flinch. “Sorry,” Kermit murmured. “Sorry—I’m just…please try, okay?”
“I am trying,” said Scooter. “Maybe I could break the wire—“
“Do it!” said Kermit, then groaned. “Wait—you probably can’t. It’s platinum. Can you get the cufflink off?
Scooter worked for a moment, getting another huff from Kermit’s unwilling “co-star”. “Not from—I can’t get to it.”
“I’ll take the shirt off—“
“Then you’ll just be half-naked next to, um, I mean—“
“Okay—fine, fine. If we can’t get the cufflink or the cuff, can you cut the dress loose—?“
“Don’t you dare!” the woman shrieked. “It costs a fortune! If you lay one froggy finger on my…dress, so help me, I’ll scream bloody—“
“Okay!” gulped Scooter. “Don’t scream!”
“Fine,” gritted Kermit. “But my froggy fingers are currently—“
“Boss…,” Scooter pleaded, and Kermit subsided. Losing his temper wasn’t going to help.
“It’s just—it’s just Piggy’s going to be waiting for me on live television, and I don’t want her to see me with, um, my cufflink…um….”
“I understand,” Scooter said. If the feed went live with Piggy while Kermit was intimately entangled with another woman—deliberately or not—it was not going to be a happy reunion. He was listening with half an ear to hear Piggy’s voice on the live feed, and he knew Kermit was doing the same.
“It’s not coming loose is it?” Kermit said. He sounded weary and exasperated and defeated, and Scooter felt a surge of anger at how helpless he felt, unable to help his boss and friend.
“I don’t know much about ladies clothes,” Scooter admitted. “What else is there to do?” He had very little experience with women’s clothing, and was flustered to the point of panic. Kermit had quite a bit more experience with fastenings and closures and tried to think of something that would help them now. Nothing sprang to mind, and Kermit thought dourly that with all the money he’d spent on dresses over the years…oh!
“I’ll replace your dress,” Kermit cried. “Just let them cut the beading loose and I’ll buy you a new dress.”
They could hear BrandeE doing the intro again, welcoming the television audience to the Academy Awards.
“….Vargas coming to you live from the Academy Awards. We’re scheduled to go live here in just a few moments with, um, Kermit the Frog and his wife, star of stage and screen, Miss Piggy. Miss Piggy—are you there?”
The woman attached to Kermit’s wrist turned and surveyed the frog’s wholesome expression, and her own became cunning. “What kind of dress?” she asked.
“A classy one,” Kermit wheedled. “One that would make you look like…a lady,” he finished finally.
“Moi is here!” Piggy said. She smiled into the camera and saw the interviewer. What she thought was, Where the heck is Kermit? Why isn’t he here?
At the sound of Piggy’s voice, Kermit’s head snapped around. Piggy…!
“I want a designer dress,” the woman said, her lips pursed thoughtfully.
“Okay,” said Kermit, desperate now. “Fine. A designer dress.” Scooter was nodding. Yes, yes, say yes to whatever so you can get free--
“That…that Thoreau guy. I want one by him.”
Kermit would have paid anything, but he did not think Thoreau could be cajoled to design a dress for…just anyone.
“I don’t think so,” Kermit began doubtfully.
“Get him to make me a dress and I’ll take this one off here and now!” she said, sensing weakness.
NO!” said Kermit and Scooter together. Oh, FROG no!
The woman rolled her eyes. “Geez. I’m wearing spanx,” she said. “It’s not like I’d be completely naked.”

On the other side of the partition, Scribbler and the camera guy both heard “completely naked” and stared at each other in surprise.
“You got to get me up there,” said the raccoon. Scribbler nodded, but his mind was awhirl. Regardless of what it sounded like, it couldn’t be like that. Not with Kermit, ol’ Dudley Do-Right himself. But, he reminded himself, it wasn’t what the thing was that mattered—it was what it looked like! In this town, what it looked like was more important than what it was. If Kermit was inside that partition with anybody who was naked and he could get a picture of it, it would make his boss’s eyes roll back in ecstasy. He looked at the raccoon, then the partition, calculating his chances….
“Hey,” said Hurley, running up. “What’s all the ruckus about?” He and Scoop had apparently decided to join forces, because the little rat was riding shotgun in his pocket. Leonard the gerbil was bouncing along in his other coat pocket. Scribbler suddenly wished Harve was there with him.
“Not entirely sure,” Scribbler said. “But I want to take a look on the other side of that screen. Kermit the Frog is in there with one of the Kardashian chicks and I want a shot of it.”
“Which one?” asked Hurley.
“Does it matter?” asked Scoop. “I wouldn’t mind a shot at either of them.”
“So—what do you need—a boost?”
Scribbler grinned. “A boost would be terrific.”
Hurley knelt and held out his laced hands. Scribbler grabbed his camera, put his wingtip in the sling. “Alley oop!” said Hurley, and sent him up and not-quite-over.

At that precise moment, the partition cracked open, and a wide-eyed BrandeE looked in on the frog, the gopher and the well-endowed young woman. BrandeE was still talking to Miss Piggy—small talk, introductory talk—but she was waving frantically behind her back. Scooter and Kermit stared at each other, then Scooter caught on. He grabbed Kermit’s shoulder and pushed him through the crack in the partition so that only his right side was visible. The camera turned and Kermit made an appearance on the screen, but his left arm did not. It was twisted behind him painfully, but that hardly mattered.
“Kermie!” Piggy cried. “Oh, Mon Capitan!”
“Hello Piggy,” said Kermit, and tried to smile. It wasn’t hard. Piggy's familiar face and figure filled the screen. She looked wonderful, all smiles and blushes—and no wonder! Her pedal-pushers hugged her curves and her sweater set did nothing but enhance what her creator had endowed her with.
“Wow,” said Kermit. “Look at you, Piggy! You look terrific. Wow! That’s—that’s some get-up!”
“Well,” said Piggy coyly. “It’s to remind everyone to get up here and see me in Grease! Vous too, Kermie.” She bit her lower lip playfully.
“Oh—I can hardly wait!” Kermit said. It was coming back to him. He was remembering what they’d talked about, what they’d planned to talk about. “So, how is Broadway treating you, Piggy?”
“Yes, tell us!” said BrandeE, whose role had shifted from being ornamental and useless to being simply extraneous.
“Broadway has been very sweet to Moi,” said Piggy. She was pulling out all the stops, every look and gesture designed to please, but Kermit seemed distracted. He was talking to her and looking at her, but something was off. Why was Kermit distracted? What on earth could he have on his mind now? Was something wrong? Was there a problem with the film? And he was standing all bunched up, like he was in pain. She wanted him to look at her, not in her general direction. “Moi’s shows have been sold out and everyone in the cast has been wonderful. Mr. Lowry has made sure that everything is just right for Moi behind the scenes.”
Piggy was looking at him funny. What did she mean, behind the scenes? Was she trying to tell him something? Was she mad about Bobo? She looked worried. Was something wrong?
“Well, everything is great here except I’m here and you’re there,” Kermit said. Piggy melted.
“Oooh….”
“There you have it folks. We’ll be back in a moment to talk some more with Kermit and Miss Piggy about their upcoming movie.”

“What in the Sam Hill has gotten into Kermit?” Mabel said when they went to commercial. “He’s stiff as a board!”
“And why is he hugging the backdrop like that?” Tricia said. “He looks like he’s in pain or something.”
“He will be in pain if he doesn’t get his head in the game and tell Piggy how great she looks,” said Clifford.
“Well, he might not have said she looked great, but you could tell he thought so.”
“That was weird,” Mabel grumped. “He was standing all sideways and stiff. He ought to be jumping up and down. Do you think he’s hurt? He ought to be ecstatic….”

The second BrandeE signed off, Howard and Thoreau rushed their favorite sow, who looked bewildered to the point of tears.
“Did you see?” Piggy said. “He didn’t—he didn’t even…something must be wr-wrong.”
“It wasn’t that bad,” said Thoreau, fingers crossed behind his back, but Howard just snorted.
“I don’t know what was going on on that end, but everything was wonderful on our end. Maybe he’s just nervous,” Howard soothed.
“I thought he’d be glad to see Moi! I thought he’d be all gushy and lovey-dovey.” She turned and glared at Thoreau. “You said he’d get distracted and forget his own name!”
“Well, he seemed distracted,” Thoreau hedged, shooting a pleading look at Howard. Howard made soothing noises and patted Piggy.
“He must be mad at me!” Piggy cried. “Over the meeting—“
Thoreau gave her a warning sign, indicating the filming crew, and Piggy subsided. “He must be upset because of something Moi did or said or—“
“Live in fifteen seconds, Miss Piggy,” said the interviewer, hating to interrupt but needing to remind them of time. She had watched their nervous nattering with more than passing interest, and they subsided. Piggy wet her lips and took her place.
Please let him be like I wanted him to be, sweet and smitten and mushy and—
“Five-four-three-two-one—“
Piggy opened her eyes.

Rowlf had been leaning back into Jolalene’s embrace, but he sat up slowly, peering at the screen.
“Doggonit. What do you suppose that little green amphibian has gotten himself into now?” Rowlf said. “He looks like a cardboard cutout.”
“You said he can be a little high-strung,” said Jolalene, but Rowlf shook his head.
“Not like this. He’s got a slow fuse that eventually reaches its limit, but not…this. Something’s wrong.”
“He does look a little…I don’t know, uncomfortable.” Jolalene tilted her head to the side, studying Kermit. “He looks sweet…sweet and a little unworldly.”
“Yeah. He’s kind of old-school about giving his word and doing what he says—you know. A good guy.”
“He looks like a good guy, but—I don’t know, Rowlfie—like he’s up to something? Hand in the cookie jar?”
“Yeah, maybe,” Rowlf admitted. “But I can’t think what about. He’s pretty straight-laced in public,” said Rowlf. “You know, conservative dresser and all that.”
“Doesn’t he usually work nude?”
“Well, yeah, but it’s different for frogs.” He grinned at her. “And dogs.”
“You might work in the nude, but you are not straight-laced,” said Jolalene.
“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Rowlf said. He settled back and let her scratch lazily behind his ears. The show cut to commercial and he settled back against her. “Oh—yeah—right there, Jo, darlin’. That feels just fine.”

Good grief, thought Scribbler. It defied explanation. The frog was 90% out of the partition, but his assistant and the Kardashion du jour were still inside the enclosure—with Kermit’s arm. Quick as a flash, Scribbler’s camera was up and he was clicking pictures as fast as he could. It was perfectly obvious what had happened—perfectly obvious that, far from trying to cozy up to another babe—Kermit and his assistant were trying desperately to disentangle him from the woman’s curvaceous form. The redheaded assistant shifted, and Scribbler got a clean shot of the problem—the cufflink, the beading on the dress, the bodacious backside which almost any male on the planet would have been happy to have been stuck next to…. But of course, Kermit wasn’t happy—he was miserable. He didn’t want to be plastered next to some starlet’s figure—he wanted to be on camera with Piggy. Scribbler took another shot, and another. Well, he thought savagely. Never mind what the frog wanted. Soon, when these pictures were posted, he’d want to be dead.
Which suited Scribbler just fine.

“Chief,” said Scooter worriedly. The second the camera had gone off the air, Kermit had been hauled back inside the partition. “We’re live again in fifteen seconds.”
“I don’t know—“ Kermit moaned. Thoreau could be temperamental. Kermit did not want to give his word and prove to be a liar, even under duress.
The woman stamped her foot, jarring Kermit’s arm all the way up to his shoulder. “Thoreau or nothing, and you don’t want that camera to go live—trust me!” The threat implicit in her suggestive stance made Scooter back away nervously.
“I don’t—“
“Ten seconds, Boss.”
“Scooter, I can’t just—“
“Mr. The Frog, we’re live in Five-Four-Three--“
“Okay!!!” Kermit blurted.
There was a sound of ripping fabric, a sharp yank to his arm and he was free, he was free, he was…he was outside the partition looking into Piggy’s eyes. Well, not exactly, but the dual cameras gave that illusion. He could see her, and she could see him, and that was more than wonderful, more than enough.
“Hi Piggy,” Kermit said, and his bulbous eyes went all melty.
Tremulously, Piggy smiled. Everything suddenly seemed right with the world. Kermit stepped forward—toward the camera—and took the microphone in both hands. “You look beautiful.” This is what she wanted. This was what she’d been waiting for all this time. Kermie, mon chere….
“You said that,” Piggy giggled.
“I did, didn’t I?” said Kermit, smiling. “Well, it bears repeating. What would you like me to tell everyone about our movie?”

*Working downstairs. *Remembers to deliver presents tomorrow, as I'm booked solid all throughout the evening and late night hours tonight.

lady piggy

Reaction score
I almost fell of my chair when u said mrs .kardashian :smile: lol aww finally Kermie gets to see piggy :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ch 140, Part I.

1 No writing staff? Hey, what are we, chopped liver?
:batty: No, that's Chopped Liver. *Waves at a meatslab Muppet alien.
2 Scoop Bradley, a rat reporter? Heh, reminds me of Disney's newsman, Scoop Sanders sometimes portrayed by Mickey Mouse in various pin series sold at the parks.
3 All those ladies Scribbler's little convo mentioned have pretty voices. Yep, real pretty voices Rita.
4 Heh... Twenty-three takes to get the kiss right. Are you still fuming over what happened with Tim Curry on the set of TMI as mentioned eons ago in Chapter 3?
5 Fun fact: "Vieira" is the Spanish word for "scallops", so have fun imagining Meredith as a Muppet shellfish instead of the Whatnot likeness they made of her when Carl and the others took over the Today Show.
6 BrandeE Vargas, dumb blonde and deer-in-the-headlights eyes, such a winning combination.
7 The fact that she seems more interested in adjusting her neckline... That makes me wonder if this one thing I read in a Nightmare Before Christmas fic is accurate to the film. When the female reporter picks up on the attacks of the toys and general havoc, does the camera stay trained on her chest instead of her face? I remember that being the case twice on SNL, but I'll save those for another time.
8 :batty: That's 2, 2 people the frog could cheerfully murder.
9 I'm wondering how Meredith herself's going to take her replacement at the red carpet watching it at her own home.
10 "Yes, Pot—I'm black too." *Laughs at this and Sara's response when Scooter started to babble.
11 Posted by Lady Ru:
"Before he could comment, there was a stir in the crowd and he looked up to a wonderful view of a dress that seemed to be made of nothing but little hanging strings of minute beads, shimmying and swaying as a well-rounded bottom passed."
Look out... Here comes trouble.
12 Yes, kangaroos. Am I wrong for thinking that in the animated version of Horton Hears a Who that Jane Kangaroo had a sort of sexy-looking face?
:shifty: You're as bad as Gonzo.
Like I said, it's not my fault they drew female anthro animals in an aluring style.
13 Ach, Beaker shares his cousin's fiery Irish temper!
14 Catwomen from Mars? Is that because Anne Hathaway was mentioned earlier? With all respect to her recent turn, Michelle Pfeiffer will always be the iconic version of Catwoman to me.
15 “I wish this show would go on,” said Mabel. “I’m ready to see a little frog/pig love."
Yeah, I think that pretty much sums up a particular Muppetfan44's feelings as well.

Okay, I'm taking a reprieve, will return for the second part either later or tomorrow.

Misskermie

Reaction score
Phew.

That kept me on stilts

Kermit saw Piggy!

YaY!

I just wanted to say that.

Thanks got posting!

More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ch 140, Part II.

16 Funny how Piggy gets a more compitent crew at her end and is more ready to go through the fake run-through before the interview.
17 Noooo. Of course you don't want to intrude Ms. Kardassian, whichever one of them you are. That's why you sidled up with "the green one" is it?
18 *Says hi to the green-eyed monster Piggy has a housepet. Maybe it should meet Dot's pet? I hope I get invited to their wedding.
19 Wait, you said you watched Kermit on Sesame Street, right? Then you should know his occasional explosions of anger are par for the course. So why's the crowd so equally surprised at his outburst? *Shrugs.
20 "We're going to go live with New York any second now!"
Like heck you are!
21 The bit with Gina taking the backdrop was funny.
22 *In Seinfeld voice: Oh, hello Newman.
23 I liked the entire segment where Fozzie's talking about the new movie with Newsie in front of the camerasloth.
24 Scooter, if you don't know anything about women's clothing, then why did you dive in instead of letting Sara?
25 :rolleyes: What are these 'spanks' ju speak of?
26 So it's not just us the readers. All other viewing parties have noticed Kermit's awkward performance as he's forced to go on with one froggy arm tied behind his back, literally.
27 No, we want Scribbler to be dead! *Am so angry with Fleet. How dare he? He's braking not only his promise to Piggy, but his promise to Robin. That will end up causing the young frog to not only never trust, but even hate Santa and Christmas. Oh wait a sec, I've got a better idea. *Calls Waldo, tells him to assume his Phantom Virus persona, and scrug Scribbler's camera. Hey, it's the next best thing after gremlins.
28 When you have that dress sent to whichever Kardassian it was, make sure it's labeled from Rainbow Productions. That way, it won't be traced back to Kermit personally. And they can take the company line of "we can neither confirm nor deny at this time", effectively doing a CYA.

*Collapses weary into coffin bed, finally finished with the mammoth chapter. Thanks as always Aunt Ru, you know we love it.