Why Does Disney Hate Muppet Merch?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. There's some stuff out there, there just needs to be more in specifics. We all would like to see DVD release of the TV shows and specials (though, as Disney hates to even release its own specials period, that's going to be a mean task), but nothing's coming out of that except the first movie on Blu.

I'd say we need some sort of toy line, but toys don't sell like they used to. I really think T-shirts and other clothing needs to be stepped up a bit. I haven't seen any new shirts in months.
They really need new licensing art too. What they have is good, it's just been reprinted so many times. I'd also like to see them clean up or recreate some of the vintage images and reissue them.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I get that people are critical and everything, but when you're so hyper critical, you miss out on stuff.
I'm a little confused on what you mean. In general I agree, I've seen this really cool Kermit figure in 2010 that was 12 itches tall with a rubber or fabricated collar. I'd love to have that on my desk someday. :smile:

I hope I didn't seem hyper critical in my post. I apologize if there was any kind of misunderstanding. I do respect everyone's opinion and I was just expressing mine on how I much prefer the older merchandise which seemed to look more like The Muppets then the current merchandise. I noticed you mentioned how you don't like the sculpted plastic heads on plush, I personally like that sort of thing. I feel that sculpted heads and hands give a more detailed look to them.

I guess I'm more old school classic Muppets when it comes to everything. Not that I'm not open to new stuff. But I just disagree with how everything is made of plush more like Kermit's eyes are not plastic anymore. I noticed that with toy merchandise in general but It must be a safety issue like you were mentioning how the Super Mario doll can be used as a hammer. lol So I guess I'm a bit critical when it comes to current Muppet stuff, even the film work with CeeLoo and the Queen music video. I'll just keep that to myself. I know that there's people who disagree and like the new stuff and that's okay, I respect people's opinions. So I agree to disagree. Again sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding. I'm just very old school. lol

Convincing John

Reaction score
They really need new licensing art too. What they have is good, it's just been reprinted so many times. I'd also like to see them clean up or recreate some of the vintage images and reissue them.
Same here. There have been a couple of really good articles on Tough Pigs about that. We've all probably read the one about "flat head Kermit". There's another one about that one Chef picture. I saw that photo on the new Hot Wheels car. (facepalm).

Fozzie wears a white tie with red polka dots...not a blue scarf.

Statler and Waldorf look good, though they should make more poser photos of them than just the "shrugging" and the "back to back with folded arms" ones. It wouldn't take too much to pose Statler about to hurl a Muppet tomato at Fozzie or Waldorf dozing in a chair.

Too bad they don't have someone like Louis Mitchell on Disney's team. (Louis does, among other things, Sesame Street poser photos). Check out Sesame merchandise. The character photos on the merchandise look like they should...and Louis even included Telly on that Google doodle for Sesame's 40th. Telly! How cool is that?

Disney's got a lot more dough than Sesame Workshop. Certainly they care about Mickey and the gang looking like they should on merchandise. Why don't they care about the Muppets the same way and hire someone to photograph them right?

Disney employees might be reading this thread right now. So, I say to them: "Read the Tough Pigs articles linked above. Muppet fans care about what their merchandise looks like. At the very least, get rid of that infamous Chef photo!" (Sheesh).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Same here. There have been a couple of really good articles on Tough Pigs about that. We've all probably read the one about "flat head Kermit". There's another one about that one Chef picture. I saw that photo on the new Hot Wheels car. (facepalm).

Statler and Waldorf look good, though they should make more poser photos of them than just the "shrugging" and the "back to back with folded arms" ones. It wouldn't take too much to pose Statler about to hurl a Muppet tomato at Fozzie or Waldorf dozing in a chair.

Too bad they don't have someone like Louis Mitchell on Disney's team. (Louis does, among other things, Sesame Street poser photos). Check out Sesame merchandise. The character photos on the merchandise look like they should...and Louis even included Telly on that Google doodle for Sesame's 40th. Telly! How cool is that?

Disney's got a lot more dough than Sesame Workshop. Certainly they care about Mickey and the gang looking like they should on merchandise. Why don't they care about the Muppets the same way and hire someone to photograph them right?

Disney employees might be reading this thread right now. So, I say to them: "Read the Tough Pigs articles linked above. Muppet fans care about what their merchandise looks like. At the very least, get rid of that infamous Chef photo!" (Sheesh).
Completely agree!!! In all fairness, there are several Swedish Chef pictures for licensors to choose from. They just all pick that same one. Disney needs to yank that page out of their book! :hungry:

Drtooth

Reaction score

To be fair, they did shoot a lot of new poser photos that are just starting to appear on merchandising... but it's time to throw all the 1990's stock art out.

Look at these Valentines:

I really should make a Muppet wiki account. I could do so much better with a photo of those. It's too tiny. I have a box next to me right now...

The Piggy, Kermit, and Pepe appear to all be new. The new Kermit doesn't look anything as dead eyed as the one used on another Valentine. I don't know if I've seen that specific Fozzie with a rubber chicken before. But the overly reused pictures stand out like a sore thumb. Gonzo with Chili Pepper suit again? That same pile of the main 5 with dead eyed Kermit? Disney shows they can and have reshot posers to look consistent to new puppet designs. Why aren't we seeing more of them, and less of the completely over used 1990's stock art? I hope by the time the second movie comes out, we'll get new poser photos of everyone to completely and hopelessly overuse on products.

I mean, that's not even the only die cast toy car with that Chef pose on it.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Totally agree, I'm sick of the late 1990s / 2000s stock photos that are being used all the time and reissuing vintage stock photos and illustrations would be much better. Especially the Puppet Heap Miss Piggy that's shown in the previous photo. her head is too small and round. Some of the 90s photos I don't mind, it's just the ones that are used all the time for calenders and stuff. What happened to the Muppet parody calenders? I love those. :smile: