Worst/creepiest puppets/puppeteer work

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking at that "Attack of the Giant Vulture" thing, all I have to say is... kids were afraid of THAT?! *Stiffles a snicker*

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I think I actually may have seen it once or twice as a kid... still don't remember being afraid of it or anything...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
As far as characters in walkaround costumes go, the New Zoo Revue from the early 70's was as cheesy as it got. The performers must've had a line of vision of only two inches because they were constantly bumping into the scenery and knocking things over. The lessons taught on the show were very preachy and overbearing.

But they had some of the most hysterical bloopers and outtakes ever. (Especially one X-rated gem. Check it out on youtube if you dare!)
That's where I got my username from! I wasn't around for the original run, but a local independent channel aired reruns for a while for few years ago, so I would watch it while getting ready for school. It was so relentlessly cheery and bizarre, helped by being shown on what must have been a seventh-generation copy or something, so everything looked washed out and almost brown. Quite the show to watch at 6:15 AM.
And those bloopers are something else, lol.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
- These Christian puppets sing about their non-resemblance to monkeys. I think they're right on the money, don't you? :big_grin:
Ah, yes. Look What God Made. I had some good fun with this "classic."

I actually found a VHS copy of this thing at a thrift store later on. For novelty sake, I bought it. :laugh:

Speaking of creepy Christian puppets...

I've actually become a Christian fairly recently, but I must assure you, these two puppet shows did not help me make that decision! If anything, they kept me from it. (Although, I must say, I've become quite a fan of VeggieTales)

The most disturbing puppets I recall seeing are the puppet versions of The Wiggles. I saw them on YouTube because the video came up in the related videos while I was looking for Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock videos.

It must be the giant eyes and those freaky smiles. Anything that looks that happy must be up to somethin'!
Funny thing, Anthony Field (The only original Wiggle who didn't retire just before this past Christmas - Three new Wiggles have taken over) has joked about these Wiggles puppets. I can't find the interview where he said it, but he said something along the lines of "they're really creepy." Can't blame him. :stick_out_tongue:

Now everybody Do the Propeller!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I've actually become a Christian fairly recently, but I must assure you, these two puppet shows did not help me make that decision! If anything, they kept me from it. (Although, I must say, I've become quite a fan of VeggieTales)
I think the problem is that it seems with exceptions most Christian home video producers are working with such low, low standards, ranging from using puppets bought from companies that sell ministry material to producers (SG and I have an in-joke about this exact topic) or having the bare minimum of production facilities. To Phil Vischer's credit, the secret to VeggieTales' early success was that it was so cheap to produce but since computer-animation was in primitive stages at the time it still looked like something new. But when you are competing with this...
... it's pretty easy to stand out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To Phil Vischer's credit, the secret to VeggieTales' early success was that it was so cheap to produce but since computer-animation was in primitive stages at the time it still looked like something new.
That and the fact that Veggietales is actually well written and entertaining. I'm no big fan of Christian edutainment, but Veggitales is shockingly enjoyable. Everything else felt like a chore to watch. I remember this very Narmy thing that was some serious animated drama (I forget the name of it) and it was just so over the top it was hard to take serious. Not that it was bad, mind you. It was high art compared to these cheap basement puppet shows.

But those darn Veggies are too darn lovable. CGI or otherwise, they excelled because they were written as a normal show with normal humor that just so happened to feature biblical teachings. These puppet examples are terrible because they don't even consider fun in the equation. They use puppets to talk down to stupid little kids.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I think the problem is that it seems with exceptions most Christian home video producers are working with such low, low standards, ranging from using puppets bought from companies that sell ministry material to producers (SG and I have an in-joke about this exact topic) or having the bare minimum of production facilities.
I'm sure the people making these things love God and really want to teach kids about Him. However, there are two problems:

1) Since most major children's programming studios wouldn't touch a religious show with a thirty-five-and-a-half foot pole, the shows simply can't look as polished as their non-religious competition. (Unless, of coarse, somebody's willing to take a huge risk - Phil Vischer recieved several donations, including one of $80,000, before VeggieTales started production.)

2) These shows don't have marketers and researchers working with them. Therefore, they don't understand kids the same way that the majors do, and their shows don't attract an audience the same way.

That and the fact that Veggietales is actually well written and entertaining. I'm no big fan of Christian edutainment, but Veggitales is shockingly enjoyable. Everything else felt like a chore to watch. I remember this very Narmy thing that was some serious animated drama (I forget the name of it) and it was just so over the top it was hard to take serious. Not that it was bad, mind you. It was high art compared to these cheap basement puppet shows.

But those darn Veggies are too darn lovable. CGI or otherwise, they excelled because they were written as a normal show with normal humor that just so happened to feature biblical teachings. These puppet examples are terrible because they don't even consider fun in the equation. They use puppets to talk down to stupid little kids.
Another thing that makes VeggieTales stand out from other Christian kids' series I've seen - It's not super-preachy.

VeggieTales teaches values and life-lessons - Ones that every parent teaches their kids, like standing up for what you believe in, helping those in need, being thankful for what you have, listening to your parents, etc. - and then they relate it to the Christian faith. And when they do teach something religion-specific (like the meaning of Easter, or obeying God) it's still done with a fun story that children will understand and enjoy.

Other Christian shows don't do this. They spend all their time saying how great Jesus is and telling you to pray and read the Bible, but they don't realistically relate any Christian values to kids. Religion, after all, is made up of two things - faith and values.

But when you are competing with this...
... it's pretty easy to stand out.
By the way, everyone, this Puppet Parade garbage was made in 2008! Shocking, isn't it?!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By the way, everyone, this Puppet Parade garbage was made in 2008! Shocking, isn't it?!
No.

Considering the production values, and the fact that its' 29 minutes long, this is probably a community access show.

BTW, the credits say 2002... it must have been posted on YT in 2008.