Old Nick Appreciation Thread

What was your favorite show?

• Total voters

Katzi428

Reaction score
For everybody that was nostalgic for 90's-era Nick, I'm sorry you weren't around in the days of Danger Mouse, Turkey TV, and Eureka's Castle.

Old Nick? I'm talking ANCIENT Nick! :smile:
Like in "You Can't Do That On Television"? Or "Out Of Control" (Before Dave Coulier was on "Full House") This was when Nickelodeon was GOOD! Am I making you feel ancient B? :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but all that stuff pales in comparison the the creation of Nicktoons. Well... maybe arguably with Danger Mouse and Count Duckula. The live action 80's shows were fun, but certainly no Doug or Rocko.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I didn't care for too much else as the 80's progressed (maybe because I was older than the targeted age group) but Danger Mouse absolutely blew my socks off.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I didn't care for too much else as the 80's progressed (maybe because I was older than the targeted age group) but Danger Mouse absolutely blew my socks off.
:fishy: Did you say "blew your socks off??" evil laughter *Ka-BOOM!!!!!!!*

Nice one....:rolleyes:
I remember when that show Live Wire ended Nickelodeon for the night. Before Nick @Nite. came along the ARTS channel came on to replace Nick for the night (and this was when Arts was when ARTS wasn't when they'd show reality programming. ARTS was seriously ballet, opera , etc. ) Then early the next morning Nickelodeon was back on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I never understood why Nick doesn't just go 24/hr. Nick at Nite is just fodder for George Lopez reruns, so I hear. I swear... had they a Nick equivalent of Adult Swim, Invader Zim could have flourished there. All their other networks go 24/hr... even the preschool shows (in case someone gets a hankering to watch Dora or something at 3 AM). Nick at Nite doesn't even air classic programming, and the offshoot channel barely does. If there's one place they could put classic Nicktoons and Nick shows, it's then.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I never understood why Nick doesn't just go 24/hr. Nick at Nite is just fodder for George Lopez reruns, so I hear. I swear... had they a Nick equivalent of Adult Swim, Invader Zim could have flourished there. All their other networks go 24/hr... even the preschool shows (in case someone gets a hankering to watch Dora or something at 3 AM). Nick at Nite doesn't even air classic programming, and the offshoot channel barely does. If there's one place they could put classic Nicktoons and Nick shows, it's then.
You're right. I just checked. There's a channel called Sprout. I had thought Nickelodeon owned it. But it turns out PBS owns it. I just looked on the extended list of TV channels & there's a Nick Jr. (Was that what you were talking about when you said "offshoot channel") I don't think they show Dora at 3AM if/when the kidlets have nightmares & an episode would help them fall back to sleep. (Sorry for the run on sentence.) There's a channel called MeTV that shows really old programs. But I'm almost positive Nick has nothing to do with that channel.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To my knowledge, Nick owns at least 4 off shoot networks. TV Land, which isn't what it should be and has original programming... Noggin which as we all know turned into Nick Jr. The N/Teen Nick which used to be GAS, and Nicktoons. Basically, splitting up what the Nick Channel has to offer.

It would be great if Nick dropped it's Nick at Nite and turned into a 24 hr Nick network. I just see them dumping crap instead of a retro classics late night line up instead.

Convincing John

Reaction score
I remember when that show Live Wire ended Nickelodeon for the night. Before Nick @Nite. came along the ARTS channel came on to replace Nick for the night (and this was when Arts was when ARTS wasn't when they'd show reality programming. ARTS was seriously ballet, opera , etc. ) Then early the next morning Nickelodeon was back on.
Ah yes, I remember Nick back in its ancient days, too. I remember there was some kind of a sign-off used at one point featuring some old school Nickelodeon characters...mostly from Pinwheel I think. (Ebenezer Squint, Coco the Mime and Plus and Minus were in there somewhere). Then the ARTS channel came on rather abruptly. I wish I had taped the time there was a glitch during the sign off. Ebenezer was (I think) yawning, then the channel blipped to ARTS and there was some opera singer in the middle of a long note. Hehehe.

Yes, ancient Nick had shows like Pinwheel (the channel was actually called "Pinwheel" once), Today's Special and awesome shows later in the day like Mr. Wizard's World, Count Duckula and Danger Mouse. There were some neat interstitials, too. There were ones called "Sports Cartoon" that featured a cat and a hippo, Picture Pages with Bill Cosby, Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings (no not the SNL sketch) and a neat cartoon short called "Bananaman" that came on almost at the end of Nick's day.

Those interstitials and cartoons were fun because you never knew what you were going to get...kind of like Old School Sesame Street. I always liked this one, since it gets away with cartoony stuff and mimics real cat behavior.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's one ad that I remember which I had wanted to talk about for awhile recently, and I regret not posting about it yesterday, but anybody remember an ad with the announcer saying "Nick is every day", with such examples as "stay at home when you're sick day. Stay at home when you're not sick day." At the end, the announcer says "But not on April fools day. Just kidding". That's kinda funny because April fools day is about making jokes, but I wonder if that was also meant to be ironic because Nickelodeon began on April fools day in 1979.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was watching Nick at someone's house Eater... holy crap. Did you see the ugly new commercial bumpers? No.. not even ugly. Ugly's not the word. Eye-gougingly horrifying. Candy colored monstrosities with wide faces and the shows in their mouths.... hideous beyond all reason.