More Non-Muppet-Shaped Muppet Toys

jvcarroll

Reaction score
They got the eyes close and not much else. Maybe the ears.

The head shape really throws everything else off. It would look meh at best if it were correctly shapen, though. Stylization doesn't do a thing for the figure.

Of course, I like the Bunsen, but they really overemphasized his jowls.
Agreed. I spent 5 minutes presumptuously tweaking it and this is really the best that can be done with the framework...
Not every character was meant for every shape.​

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Those things are really bad. The only one that looks decent is Rowlf.
Disney should make sure these things stop production immediately. There must be some copyright issue!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Disney should make sure these things stop production immediately. There must be some copyright issue!
These are mostly cute. I don't think there's cause for alarm. Artists often create commissions and one-off pieces featuring pop culture icons and that's okay. Usually artists, like KAWS, make creative changes to skate copyright; especially if they want to create serialized pieces like these Pillaging Pop Culture ones. Here's an example of an Astroboy by KAWS. The changes are what make it art...and highly sought-after art! Yes, it's creepy, it's creative, it's odd and that's what I love it!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember the first series of Kid Robot toys (before they became a thing) were various parodies of Japanese pop culture icons... Gachaman, Doraemon... I swear I saw a Warsman parody somewhere. Very Japanese references that mostly never got here. I seem to remember Street Fighter parodies where the heads of the characters were...well... poop. No... not poor quality. Their heads were poo shaped.

They look far more homemade than bad. I don't see why Piggy came out so terrible, since these things look like fair level custom jobs other than that. I highly doubt the likenesses are skewed to prevent copyright problems. Still, the only people who are buying these are those who would buy expensive custom jobs. It really is a shame Disney doesn't market more polished, professional looking things like these. These are good, but official merchandise would look much, much better.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Ok, I do like that Lew Zealand. They got him pretty well. Gonzo on the other hand... :eek:

Slackbot

Reaction score
That pink lower lip... I know why they did that, but it still looks weird.

...Gonzo looks like a baby bird. Don't you just want to stuff a worm into his mouth?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gonzo's easy to screw up anyway. That's why, for years, toy companies went the "Baby Gonzo" route. Again, it looks the victim of recycling materials. The head shape throws everything out of whack. The eyes don't go nearly as deep in as they should, and the wide head stylization works well on some characters and particularly bad on others.

But that Lew Zealand is nice! Kinda helps that his head is wide to begin with.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
In every series, there's only one they get really good.
I like the Rowlf, Beaker and the Lew Zealand a lot. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Sam looks like someone made a really good Sam...

...and then accidentally stepped on it.