April Fools Feedback

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

• Total voters

Beauregard

Reaction score
I remember one year that someone (was it me? I forget...) created a fake account called Phil Up Phil and copied the REAL Phillips avatar and posted that MC was closing down because it was being used to sell illegal "Muffins".

Amazing reactions.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Oh great, I'm in the weird part of the forum again...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Didn't someone make a joke about Sesame Street comics once, and they're actually happening.
I think I did that. There's been a few other April fools threads I came up with that ended up becoming true in some way. The first April fools joke I did on the forum was regarding a collection of Sesame Street DVDs aimed at us. In 2005 somebody had contacted Sesame Workshop and was told that the company was considering releasing a DVD set aimed at adult collectors but it likely wouldn't be released until 2007. My post stated that they were able to clear various rights sooner than expected and that the DVDs would come out in 2006... And then we got the first Old School volume later that year.

I'm sure I've done a few other jokes that ended up happening, though I can't remember what off-hand.

Some people have mentioned the possibility of people not realizing that something is a joke. I would think that saying "April Fools!" at the end would work well enough. Though I have seen some (here and on other forums) where the users actually DIDN'T confirm it was an april fools joke in the first post. Some have, however, done something a bit more clever: Post some "news" and put random letters in bold, spelling April Fools.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Too many of MC's April Fools jokes have been unfunny and misleading. Some jerk will post something like "Seasons 4 & 5 of the Muppet Show to be released next month!" and that will cause flames and confusion for days. People, don't do that. It's not funny. It's just irritating. Thanks.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Didn't the Muppets appear upside down on the front page one April Fools Day? And yeah.. I'm with Jamie as far as someone saying that TMS seasons 4 & 5 are out. That's just plain wrong :rolleyes:
If anyone knows Mock Swedish on the other hand...:shifty:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I can't believe everyone feels the need to tell people what they can't post, for lack of any better wording.

I mean, I would like to think that people know the difference between an obvious joke and doing something to get someone's hopes up falsely and to not post something like that...or do I really have to much faith in people?

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I can't believe everyone feels the need to tell people what they can't post, for lack of any better wording.

I mean, I would like to think that people know the difference between an obvious joke and doing something to get someone's hopes up falsely and to not post something like that...or do I really have to much faith in people?
It's happened many times before. As for the rest of it, pot meet kettle. :stick_out_tongue: Now let me go and put YouTube links in all of my posts. /friendly sarcasm

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I had a feeling someone was going to take that first sentence wrong because of the wording but I couldn't figure out how to say it any nicer :sigh:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I had a feeling someone was going to take that first sentence wrong because of the wording but I couldn't figure out how to say it any nicer :sigh:
I was just being silly. I'm all for creativity and April Fools. Pranks often backfire so it's best to think them through. That's what I'm saying.