What do the Muppets mean to you?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I was driving to work today and Had this though and after looking through the forum briefly I did not find anything that asked this question...so I thought why not.

I know most of us fans have a special place in our hearts for the Muppets but for some maybe most of us it's more then just being a fan or watching a TV show or movie. Here is your chance to share feelings thoughts that maybe you haven't in a while or maybe It's your first time really looking at What the Muppets really mean to you. Whichever I look forward to seeing and learning how far and deeply the Muppets have reached in peoples lives.

KingR76

Reaction score
It was the first tv show I saw. Even now I remember seeing it, and one could say that this is one of my earliest childhood memories.

When I was in hospital at a very young age, I had to have various things done and there was a Kermit the Frog doll which I became VERY attached too, it was hospital property but I think the Nurse/Sister/Matron really called in a favour or two to allow me to keep Kermit, I still have whats left of him *

In the eighties my Grandma would record the Muppet Show for me as she did with "Inside the Labyrinth" when it aired on telly and I would watch both over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, even now I remember having to turn down the volume when Karen (Prell) and Brian are performing the "You remind me of a babe." scene.

After watching one particular episode of the Muppet Show I wanted to take my Beloved Kermit doll and turn him into a Muppet.

WARNING TO COLLECTORS! THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH MAY MAKE YOU BALK!!!

I took Kermit and a pair of scissors and well, um, took the stuffing out of him and made him into a workable Muppet even added a bit of coat hanger to his arm, as my hand grew bigger and as time went on his original eyes fell off but I had such fun playing with him.

I Love the Muppets.

Several- um well one or three decades from when I first saw the Muppets on telly I was still blown away from when Kermit the Frog- well when he addressed me and I couldnt help but just hug and Kiss him.

What do the Muppets mean to me?

Scooterforever

Reaction score
The Muppets are a significant part of my childhood; I watched the TV show on TNT, saw all the films and specials, watched Muppet babies, and had numerous toys. I still remember watching "The Muppets at Disneyworld" on an old VHS tape, and liking "Rockin' Around the World" by the Electric Mayhem so much that I recorded it on this clunky, oversized cassette recorder and listened to it again and again. So to me, the Muppets represent the innocence and joy of childhood.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think I can relate to both of your stories. I was sick a lot when I was little and in the hospital a lot as well. The hospital had Muppets take Manhattan on vhs and I would get to watch it at least two to three times a day.
When I was not in the hospital I would wake up early every morning and watch Sesame Street and would beg my mom to go and rent a vcr and rent any of the Muppet movies.

However the real thing for me about the Muppets is... I have had a lot of people in my life die but the Muppets have always been there. Yes I know we have lost Muppeters and Jim but the Muppets have still always been there. Through there shows and movies they have been able to make me laugh when I needed to and cry when I needed to. I love the Muppets they hold a very near and dear place in my heart. and sometimes I don't think people understand that.

robodog

Reaction score
When I was five I had to go to day care every day. In the middle of the day we had nap time, which consisted of us laying on mats in a dark room. I hated this. I was never tired and I hated the quiet, so it was absolute misery. I'd often get very upset during these times.
But then I found a way to get through it. I'd just think of the Muppets. I'd replay sketches from the show in my mind and this would often relax me enough that I was able to go to sleep.

According to my parents, I was able to read by age 3. My folks would have me read sections of the newspaper for relatives who were always amazed that I could do this at so young an age. My mom credited my learning to read so early to the fact that I was constantly watching Sesame Street.

Basically the Works of Jim Henson were a huge part of my childhood. A childhood that was often miserable. But things like the Muppets, Fraggle Rock and Labyrinth provide me with some of the few happy memories I have of growing up.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I love reading theses stories of how the Muppets bring joy to a sad or ailing child's heart. and how through out our teens and grown up years that has helps shaped who we are today as people.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I've only been a big fan of the Muppets for a couple years now, but I have really found that they have been very important to me and really helped me out. I've been dealing with some emotional problems for awhile now, and Fraggle Rock and other Muppet productions have helped me out, knowing that I can watch something like that and just see something warm and funny and friendly. They've been a nice help to me, and I definitely appreciate it.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've only been a big fan of the Muppets for a couple years now, but I have really found that they have been very important to me and really helped me out. I've been dealing with some emotional problems for awhile now, and Fraggle Rock and other Muppet productions have helped me out, knowing that I can watch something like that and just see something warm and funny and friendly. They've been a nice help to me, and I definitely appreciate it.
My thoughts/prayers are with you Charlie. If you need someone to talk to I'm here.

My hope for this thread that with fans sharing there personal feelings about the Muppets that some of us will become closer.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
In the days of middle school and high school, when I was bullied numerous times, sometimes, I would watch the Muppets because they never judge each other, in a sense they were my friends away from cruel people I encountered. When school work and drama of high school and college became way too stressful, watching the Muppets was an easy way to forget about the bad things and find time to smile and laugh. Recently, I went through a death in the family, so I watched the Fraggle Rock episode, "Gone, but not forgotten" and Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas to feel better. When the songs "Just a dream away" and "When the rive meets the sea" played, I hoped that my grandmom heard them from heaven. It proves when bad times are too much, the Muppets make everything a little better.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm sorry for you loss... "When the River Meets the Sea" is a great song to think of loved ones I also love the song "if Just One Person" both songs have touched me in a wonderful way. The messages in a lot of the songs the Muppets have done over there years have been so moving. If I really sat down and worked at it I could list a lot of the songs and how they have affected my life and what was going on with me when I heard them.