April Fools Feedback

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Too many of MC's April Fools jokes have been unfunny and misleading. Some jerk will post something like "Seasons 4 & 5 of the Muppet Show to be released next month!" and that will cause flames and confusion for days. People, don't do that. It's not funny. It's just irritating. Thanks.
I remember back in 2007 somebody posted that The Muppet Show: Season Two would NOT be released (or at least not in 2007), and then it ended up coming out that year.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Think about it this way folks: If its FUNNY then do it.

The whole point of April Fools day is to get gullible people to believe something RIDICULOUS then to call them out on it, no to raise people's hopes.

Here's hoping for an epic April Fools day! (Remember Jim used to prank even the pranksters!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too many of MC's April Fools jokes have been unfunny and misleading. Some jerk will post something like "Seasons 4 & 5 of the Muppet Show to be released next month!" and that will cause flames and confusion for days. People, don't do that. It's not funny. It's just irritating. Thanks.
That's the thin line that has to be walked. Something believable that doesn't tick everyone off (though, again, the tell tale sign is looking at the calendar). If someone were to post "Fraggle Rock Crossover with My Little Pony and Spongebob," that's a situation where you say "Need I even bother clicking to know that's a joke?"

The best April Fools pranks are done by site owners screwing up their sites in funny ways. Cartoon discussion boards turning into live action program message boards... websites devoted to something absolutely ridiculous. Even the annoying screwing with someone's account bit is kind of clever. Posting obviously fake news stories is like that relative that you see every Christmas that makes the same annoying joke that was never funny the first time. It only elicits a "UGH! Every freaking year!"

Saying season 4&5 are happening is kind of a bad move. Though, at this point I'm sure it has as much believability as "Sesame Workshop releases DVD of every rare skit there ever was and this doesn't sound like an obvious joke" or "Incredibly obscure Muppet character who has never produced merchandise suddenly has one."

Slackbot

Reaction score
I used to do elaborate April Fool pranks. One year I unveiled a new design for my ReBoot website that had a lot of my pet peeves on it: vague section titles, annoying & irrelevant background music, bandwidth-wasting animated GIF, trailer cursor, and in general form over substance. Most people who knew me either guessed that it was a joke or asked me if I'd lost my mind, but a few people actually loved it. What?

My most epic gag involved four other ReBoot website managers. We figured out how to arrange it so that when a person went to one site they saw another. We had it arranges in a ring: site A would appear to be site B, site B would load site C, etc. All by renaming the index file and adding a frameset page! The confusion it caused was glorious.

My point being that I like April Fool gags that show creativity and humor, not just fake news and then a "Psyche!" And if I see another "I'm closing my site" notice on April 1 my eyes will fall out from being rolled too hard.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's amusing to think back on how so many people fell for my gag one year when I announced that I was no longer a fan of Kathy Greenwood... I must have been very convincing at first, because it seems like most everybody who looked at the thread fell for it at first.

Since then, however, I was never able to pull the wool over anybody's eyes again, which is why I, personally, don't pull very many April Fools pranks anymore.

I still wonder what it would have been like if MrsPepper and I actually went with my idea for one year to pretend like we really were an item like a few people were suspecting, but she didn't really feel entirely comfortable tricking everybody into thinking that, so we didn't do it.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that April Fools is over, we're in the process of adding "April Fools:" to the title of these threads and moving them to the "Games" section. If you see any threads that we've missed, feel free to post the links here and we'll get them updated.

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH! I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very disappointed no one liked my "I got the April Fools computer virus" bit.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
UGH! I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very disappointed no one liked my "I got the April Fools computer virus" bit.
I liked it, I just had no idea how to respond to it, hahaha.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's good. I'm just tired of the old "This amazing project... Oops! April Fools!" I wanted to give them something different.

That said, LOVE how Toughpigs basically became a parody of the Muppet Mindset. That was very clever.