April Fools Feedback

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

• Total voters

Beauregard

Reaction score
That said, LOVE how Toughpigs basically became a parody of the Muppet Mindset. That was very clever.
That was a brilliant bit! I loved that they really got into the spirit and even had occasional-Fraggle-quotes, Turkish commentators and a ridiculous News Roundup!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Muppet Mindset also parodied Tough Pigs with a "My week with...." and "Beautiful toys contest" articles. I think that's the first time the Mindset did two articles in one day. And the title card was similar to Toughpigs, only it had Lindbergh, Mr. Poodlepants, and Angelo.

EDIT: I was just at The Muppet Mindset, and it seems the "My Week with Marylin" is no longer there. But it wasn't much, just an image of Miss Piggy dressed as Marylin Monroe.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think this deserves a thread of its own, so we can get some other opinions on the issue.

April Fools Day threads have been a tradition here at MC since the beginning just about, some of them are rather clever and sometimes it's almost really easy to fall for them for those who have forgotten or didn't realize what day it is.

However, for the past few years or so, there's been a new tradition at MC to immediately label a thread as an April Fools joke the minute someone actually admits that they fell for it... personally, I think to label a thread like that so soon pretty much defeats the purpose of the thread, especially considering not everybody at MC is logged on at the same time: say they log on later in the afternoon, and already, threads are labeled as being April Fools threads... where's the fun in that? They'll already know it's a joke, and therefore, they won't even be able to enjoy it (and whoever started the thread probably won't be able to enjoy tricking as many people), but if they come upon the thread, start reading the original post, is intrigued by it, then they start reading the responses and THEN realize that it's a joke, doesn't that seem to make a little more sense?

I've stated my own personal opinion before that I think a thread shouldn't be labeled as being an April Fools joke at least till the end of the day, giving as many people as possible the chance to have a little fun over the different little gags some people like to pull year after year... but again, I think we need some other opinions on the matter, which is why I've included a poll on the subject.
I agree. A lot of the April Fool's joke's I did were labeled as "April Fool's" very soon afterwards so it did defeat the purpose. As for posts being misleading and thinking something they read is really going on, well they should check their calendars. Then if the news is still up on April second and not labeled as an April Fool's joke, then they'll know it's real. Again, just my opinion.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
UGH! I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very disappointed no one liked my "I got the April Fools computer virus" bit.
Your fake spam post was the only thread to make me laugh. Most of them just made me groan XD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I must say that most of the April fools threads were really creative and well thought out, and yet most of them seemed to only get a few replies at most (I think one got a good number of responses).

Slackbot

Reaction score
I got the spam post, and it was just a little too bizarre to be real spam. It made me smile.

I don't suppose my April Fool gag really caught anyone, but then it was in the form of a fanfic. I guess I made it a bit too plausible. Ah well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was going more for Editorial for the new Muppet movie that got corrupted by a phoney internet virus... but yeah. Glad it was creative enough to stand out against the same bits.

I did consider getting a Ponygon from Konjiki no Gash Bell/Zatch Bell Avatar and put all my posts that day in the form of "Meru Meru Meeehhhh," but thought that was a few years too late anyway to be relevant. But then again, I did only discover the show last year...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I must have missed something because I don't remember seeing that thread. :smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the subject... I love how TVshowsonDVD always puts a disclaimer saying that they refuse to have any April Fools gags when it comes to DVD show announcements....

...only to see the official list of the day contain 1 ongoing series, 2 cable shows no one watches, some obscure thing no one remembers, and a reality program. Yeah. No fooling??? Nope they're not. Season 5 of some Guy Feirie piece of crap from the Food Network on DVD! WOOO! :rolleyes: I almost want a fake announcement.