April Fools Feedback

When should a thread be labeled as an April Fools joke?

• Total voters

Bridget

Reaction score
Lol, Google got me good yesterday! They had this little thing called "Google Nose- beta" that allows you to search any scent, and be able to smell it on your computer screen. I tryed it, and then a window popped up saying "HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S D
AY!" Hehe, I feel so foolish!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess because I have pop-up blocker, I didn't get that... instead, I just got redirected to search results for diapers.

Bridget

Reaction score
Lol. I still feel quite foolish. I sniffed my computer screen like Bear sniffs you for honey.

misspiggy5260

Reaction score
Lol, Google got me good yesterday! They had this little thing called "Google Nose- beta" that allows you to search any scent, and be able to smell it on your computer screen. I tryed it, and then a window popped up saying "HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S D
AY!" Hehe, I feel so foolish!
That happened to me too

Slackbot

Reaction score
I knew it was a leg-pull from the very start, so I went all through it to see how elaborate they made the joke. I was impressed! My search result was durians, which made me laugh, as hardly anyone in the US knows what those are.

What's ironic is that the joke would never have worked on me, as I have no sense of smell to speak of.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yep. My nose is deaf. It's called anosmia.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Another subtle thing to do is to type an "invisible" spoiler at the end by using white as the font color to give the impression of an incognito post, and possibly add a Muppicon of choice as a subtle hint.

For instance, when April 1st came along, I celebrated it in the "I think I'm going crazy" thread (which is sort of like a year-round April Fool's party, even in July, October, December, etc.) by inserting two separate yet slightly similar Muppet photos side-by-side, and I left a subtle hint like this:

:halo:: APRIL FOOL'S! (P.S., if you can read this, you just peeked at the invisible spoiler!)

The invisible text can be highlighted by dragging the mouse over the space, which only shows when quoted and/or the blue text highlighter is used....