More Non-Muppet-Shaped Muppet Toys

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My reviews from greatest to least:

Rowlf: Virtually perfect for the shape.
Lew: Very nice rendition. Ruffled collar could use some help.
Kermit: Close rendition. Color and "flat head" are off-putting.
Fozzie: Close. Eyes are not quite right.
Harry: Good, but a little too clay-looking.
Bunsen: Good, but funky jowls.
Sam: Too rounded and smooshy for his personality.
Gonzo: Nice sweater pattern, yet looks like a dress. Eye focus, and exaggerated lip look strange.
Beaker: Too clay-like and just doesn't look right to me.
Piggy: Just not right at all!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I give Beaker credit for having a different shaped head. Something that would work on certain characters. The cone shape approach is interesting. At least it stands out in a line where they kept the Munny heads in tact. Sam would have benefited from a more cylindrical head.

They do have a very clay appearance, probably cuz they're made of it. I don't know if they even used molds, nor do I think they did. That's the peril of well crafted, yet not professional fan made merchandise. You're a prisoner to non-insider materials.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I give Beaker credit for having a different shaped head. Something that would work on certain characters. The cone shape approach is interesting. At least it stands out in a line where they kept the Munny heads in tact. Sam would have benefited from a more cylindrical head.

They do have a very clay appearance, probably cuz they're made of it. I don't know if they even used molds, nor do I think they did. That's the peril of well crafted, yet not professional fan made merchandise. You're a prisoner to non-insider materials.
My hypothesis is that each base-mold made a base mold from a Munny. They then cut into and sculpt on top of this soft Munny base in order to create the Muppet character. This is then made into a mold resulting in a resin sculpture. This is then painted and details are added. So this would be considered a micro-production that is hand crafted all the way through the process. I just still don't get what makes it legal or something that anyone with the Sideshow busts would want. :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have trouble finding out who this is for as well. It really seems to be focused to some extremely underground toy collectors with a crap load of money. It doesn't seem to fill any real void in Muppet fan collections. Sure, we'd all love more merchandise out of Disney, especially obscure characters... but it looks like characters we already got out of Palisades' line. (the silhouettes left are quite obviously :hungry::sleep::boo::wink: and the entire Electric Mayhem). Lew and Harry may never be toys again, but toys of the other characters probably aren't too hard to track down (band's got to be disgustingly expensive by now, though). When it comes to custom figures, people are usually looking for unmade characters or franchises, OC's, and strangely specific variants.

These are interesting to a Muppet fan, sure, but the artisan pricing is going to scare off anyone who isn't extremely interested in homemade underground toy production. If it was something far more obscure and never produced (say, Heathcliff and the Cattillac Cats, emphasis on the Cattilac Cats.... furries would eat that stuff straight up), it would be far more interesting. I have all these guys already via Palisades. That said, if it was legally produced, mainstream, affordable and accessible Muppet Merchandise, it would be different.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Wave 5 is now out.

Brown slacks instead of blue jeans or red sneakers for Scooter? What happened to the stems of Dr. Teeth's glasses and where is this costume from? The least-liked look for Zoot? I enjoyed series one, but I'm just not feeling it anymore. Still, I'm glad that someone likes Muppets enough to attempt these. We'll see what the last series looks like.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
How does a muppet fan mess up details like this though? Unless its intentional and "stylistic" :/

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
.....has Floyd ever worn anything that looks like that? Cause man...erg...

Although I do like Animal's Anarchy shirt...

Drtooth

Reaction score
These would all look a lot better if they weren't using re-purposed Dunny figures and sculpted the heads free form. Floyd's head would look better if it wasn't so stretched and squashed... He looks like Dr. Robotnik turned purple.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
.....has Floyd ever worn anything that looks like that? Cause man...erg...

Although I do like Animal's Anarchy shirt...

to my surprise Floyd has worn that type of costume before