Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I know how Joey Mazzarino has the notion to make the parodies more current, but they still do an entire episode spoofing the Music Man.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Music Man is still well known in some circles. It is a family musical, after all. Plus... I mean, you pretty much have to reference that when a character is selling musical instruments.

Today's episode was pretty good, but Grover really sold it. Though, the song at the end of the episode was... well... annoying. Very annoying.

Cookie Monster sure loves eating phones, doesn't he?

Murray singing opera? Flatly singing "....Si" over and over? That was hilarious. I'm not sure if it was intentional, though.

Really loved that 20 song. They really are improving in sketches with double digit numbers in them. On that subject, since this is the last episode of the season, and I'm quite happy about this... they FINALLY retired those horribly overused "kids painting a mural" skits. This is the first season we didn't see them even once!

I noticed they did indeed use an Ernie and Bert Great Adventures that wasn't in widescreen. Either Oscarfan is on to something about the other segments not testing well, or they just don't realize they have them.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Today's street story was very good. I liked the whole Music Man parody. The Word of the Day was funny. The Peeps in the Hood bits were very good. Isabel is beautiful. Elmo and Abby's version of I Can Sing was pretty good too. Now what I thought of the whole season: The street stories were very good. The best one was Me Am What Me Am, just because it'll make all the Veggie Monster believers shut up. The new AFFSs were very good as usual. The new SG 2.Os were very good. Too bad there were only 2 of them. The new Murray tune-ins were great. I love Peeps in the Hood more than Murray Has a Little Lamb. Now the best thing: Elmo the Musical is an awesome improvement over EW! There wasn't a single one that was bad. And when they'ed show a one that was already shown, you didn't care, because it's still entertaining to watch. The best parody was Upside-downton Abbey. Also since they got rid of EW, they've shown more segments than the last 3 seasons have, so we got stuff we haven't seen in a while like Russian Restaurant and Rhyming Waiter. I can't wait for next season, cause I know it's gonna be great! Oscarfan, here are the old Muppet bits they showed until you get the episode file: A's Anatomy, AFFS Morty the Musical Muse, B&EGA rain forest(what do you know? They finally showed a fullscreen B&EGA), Jason Maraz sings Outdoors, and ETM Prince. I hope you get the episode file for this and Trashgiving Day soon. Those episodes don't have guides on Muppet Wiki yet. Also, could you ask Philip to record the reruns of season 42 and give you files of those episodes so those episodes could finally get guides? Thank you.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Although I haven't seen everything from Season 43, I enjoyed pretty much everything I saw, whether I saw it when I could tune in, or if I saw it online. Being a first-year college student, and busy with a lot of things, I obviously haven't gotten a chance to post my review of any footage I saw during Season 43 here on the MC Forum (except for Episode 4302). But here are my personal favorite moments that I saw from this particular season (older segments don't necessarily count), but it may be incomplete:

*Five By (*sigh* probably one of Jerry's last singing roles, depending what he recorded for Season 44)
*The scene for Episode 4302 (like I said in my review, of all the bad winner behavior I've seen on children's TV shows, Elmo's in this episode was the best. Also, when Leela pointed out that she had to go deliver some laundry to Gordon and Susan, that got me to thinking: will we ever get to see her interact with them?)
*The Grover and Mr. Johnson Coffee Shop skit
*The Word of the Day skit in Episode 4303 (considering that they used a remade version of the music in the original version of the I Can Remember skit)
*The scene for Episode 4304 (especially Oscar's role)
*The scene for Episode 4305 (for the last several months I've been considering showing it to my friends who keep complaining about the "Veggie Monster" nonsense)
*Elmo and Abby's version of Two is You and Me (but I enjoy the original version too)
*The new version of Count Me In (somehow I prefer that one to the original version)
*The scene for Episode 4308 (especially Grover's role)
*The new Bert and Ernie skit in Episode 4309 (I hope to see more of them soon)
*The scene for Episode 4310 (it was great and well-written; props for bringing Barkley back)
*Grover's I Am Special song (when was the last time Frank was given a singing role?)
*The scene for Episode 4314 (of course Grover's role was the bomb; I also loved the Paleontologist Calypso)
*The scene for Episode 4321 (it was kind of nice to see Snuffy without Big Bird...OK, now don't get me wrong; I love the friendship between the 2 of them, but it was nice to see an episode that focused on him without Big Bird showing up. I mean, when was the last time we had something like that?)
*Alan wearing the old 1990's Hooper's Store apron in Episode 4322 (am I the only one who noticed that?)
*The scene for Episode 4324 (it wasn't much like how I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it anyway)
*The scene for Episode 4326 (being a musician, I enjoyed it quite a bit)
*Elmo and Abby's version of I Can Sing (it wasn't as bad as I thought, and of course I love the original version too)
*Bob making multiple appearances (haven't gotten that in several years)
*Elmo the Musical (but not all of them)
*The new Super Grover 2.0 segments
*Frank and Jerry's performances, in general.

My #1 complaint about this season would have The People in Your Neighborhood segments. I mean seriously! To quote what a YouTube user pointed out: "Sesame Street, look at yourself! Just really look at yourself! You've turned one of your most famous and most beloved songs into a rap!"

Well, otherwise this Season was not too shabby, and again, I haven't seen ALL of the season, so...yeah.

In the meantime, let's hope that Season 44 is a great season too. So far, I'm looking forward to seeing the new Jerry material, and the new Latino character.

Drtooth

Reaction score
My #1 complaint about this season would have The People in Your Neighborhood segments. I mean seriously! To quote what a YouTube user pointed out: "Sesame Street, look at yourself! Just really look at yourself! You've turned one of your most famous and most beloved songs into a rap!"
That's a pretty superficial thing. Sure, it would have been better if Murray sang the actual song... but I've noticed his version is... well.. extremely short. And it's not like they don't underscore the original in the segment. And I honestly think that can be forgiven, considering how amazing the segment is. Especially the Paul Zaloom installment.

My only complaint, and I said it enough for me not to need to elaborate, was the overuse of the trial and error engineering. Especially since they had a good deal of the episodes follow each other, most egregiously the stronger basket of goodies episode followed by the build the pig's house stronger episode. It even had the same antagonist!

That and the endless reruns of segments. I don't want to not love Super Grover 2.0, but they had only 14 segments in 3 seasons. And they favor it over Ernie and Bert's segment, and I don't want to go over that again. I'm glad the block format brought the older audience (4 and 5 year olds) back, but their razor thin budget makes it impossible not to see the same segment at least 3 times in a series of "new" episodes.

Other than that... someone at Earth's Best Organic foods needs to fire their head of marketing. That horrible commercial where the human baby head is on a CGI body is one of the most profoundly disturbing things ever to be seen on Sesame Street. And I lump that in with the giant monster rabbit chasing the kids and the "bird" animation.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
It's not like they're gonna use that from now on. BTW, are you classicssmfan from YouTube and Sstmsfrfan from Muppet Wiki? Also, I know all of you think the fake sponsors are pointless, but I like them because, we get to hear the Muppeteers talk without putting on a voice.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Seems like it's a lost concept. They had the potential to make them parodies of the kinds of advertisements they have before and after the show, but they just gently narrate old footage instead. It's cute, but doesn't get the laughs it should.