What is your favorite Sid and Marty Krofft shows?

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Also, for years, they had insisted that the name "Pufnstuf" was derived from a combination of "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "all this other stuff that would be happening", thus, "Pufnstuf"... but NOW, after all these years, Marty has FINALLY admitted that yes, "Pufnstuf" came from the slang term for marijuana - "Puffin' stuff".
HAHA! That is terrible, but at the same time ironically funny.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is there any actual reason behind why Dr. Blinky ended up becoming one of Witchiepoo's flunkies?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, I decided to compile list ratings list for each of the Kroffts' shows (again, traditional 4-star rating system).

- H.R. PUFNSTUF (1969-1970) ****
- THE BUGALOOS (1970-1971) ***1/2
- LIDSVILLE (1971-1972) *
- SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS (1973-1975) ***
- LAND OF THE LOST (1974-1977) ***
- THE LOST SAUCER (1975-1976) **
- FAR OUT SPACE NUTS (1975-1976) **
- DONNY & MARIE (1976-1979) Haven't seen enough of it.
- THE KROFFT SUPERSHOW (1976-1978) Haven't seen enough of it.
- THE BRADY BUNCH HOUR (1977-1978) Haven't seen it.
- THE KROFFT SUPERSTAR HOUR (1978-1980) Haven't seen it.
- PINK LADY AND JEFF (1980-1981) *
- BARBARA MANDRELL AND THE MANDRELL SISTERS (1980-1981) Haven't seen it.
- PRYOR'S PLACE (1984-1985) *
- D.C. FOLLIES (1987-1989) **1/2
- LAND OF THE LOST (1991-1993) Haven't seen it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The only thing I can remember about the Superstar Hour was they were trying to make some more Pufnstuf episodes. But only with Puf and Dr. Blinky. No Jimmy, no Witchiepoo, not much to sink your teeth into. At least Puf got to jam with the Bay City Rollers.

Much more enjoyable was the Krofft's 1973 show at the Hollywood Bowl (I think Nick aired it ONCE many moons ago). Here you got to see Jack Wild, Johnny Whittaker, several Puf characters, AND the Brady Bunch kids sharing the same stage.
It's the ultimate piece of Seventies CHEESE, but still holds a special place in my heart.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
- LAND OF THE LOST (1991-1993) Haven't seen it.
I had the complete series box set at one point (for whatever reason) but I think my dad loaned it to a friend. It's a pretty cheesy show, (aren't they all?) but it's probably one of their best. I really enjoyed it when I watched it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The only thing I can remember about the Superstar Hour was they were trying to make some more Pufnstuf episodes. But only with Puf and Dr. Blinky. No Jimmy, no Witchiepoo, not much to sink your teeth into. At least Puf got to jam with the Bay City Rollers.

Much more enjoyable was the Krofft's 1973 show at the Hollywood Bowl (I think Nick aired it ONCE many moons ago). Here you got to see Jack Wild, Johnny Whittaker, several Puf characters, AND the Brady Bunch kids sharing the same stage.
It's the ultimate piece of Seventies CHEESE, but still holds a special place in my heart.
I saw THE WORLD OF SID & MARTY KROFFT AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL special, it pops up on YouTube every now and then; it's pretty good, as far as meshing different Krofft shows and characters together... the show they put on really doesn't have much to offer as far as production design or anything like that goes, but other than that, it's enjoyable.
I had the complete series box set at one point (for whatever reason) but I think my dad loaned it to a friend. It's a pretty cheesy show, (aren't they all?) but it's probably one of their best. I really enjoyed it when I watched it.
How does it compare to the original 1974 series?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, after all this time, I think I've pretty much come to a point where I can only take just about everything Sid & Marty Krofft say with a grain of salt... not only are there so many inconsistencies with their stories (was their father really a puppeteer or a clock salesman, was Sid really born in Greece or Canada, are their birth names really Cydas & Marshopopoulous Yolas or Sidney & Martin Krofft, etc.), but they keep saying over and over again for decades that they're bringing back their older shows (Pufnstuf, Lidsville, Sigmund, ElectraWoman, etc.) and making movies of them, but nothing ever comes to be, with the exception of that terrible LOTL movie with Will Ferrell. Honestly, I haven't heard any updates with this Pufnstuf movie they were supposedly working on with Justin Bieber (yes, Justin Bieber) as Jimmy, or these Lidsville and Sigmund movies that Conrad Vernon is directing. I mean, they've been saying they're going to do these movies since the 90s!

mr3urious

Reaction score
You know, after all this time, I think I've pretty much come to a point where I can only take just about everything Sid & Marty Krofft say with a grain of salt... not only are there so many inconsistencies with their stories (was their father really a puppeteer or a clock salesman, was Sid really born in Greece or Canada, are their birth names really Cydas & Marshopopoulous Yolas or Sidney & Martin Krofft, etc.), but they keep saying over and over again for decades that they're bringing back their older shows (Pufnstuf, Lidsville, Sigmund, ElectraWoman, etc.) and making movies of them, but nothing ever comes to be, with the exception of that terrible LOTL movie with Will Ferrell. Honestly, I haven't heard any updates with this Pufnstuf movie they were supposedly working on with Justin Bieber (yes, Justin Bieber) as Jimmy, or these Lidsville and Sigmund movies that Conrad Vernon is directing. I mean, they've been saying they're going to do these movies since the 90s!
I guess you can say they really are "puffing stuff". :big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So it's been announced that the Kroffts are developing a pilot for a reboot of SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS.

With Amazon.

Et tu, Brute?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, but you got to admit. The Kroffts are heading this one up themselves. There's got to be something there, right?