Silly things you said, did, or thought as a kid

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just remembered something silly I said as a kid (though I really didn't think this).

In the cartoon What's Opera, Doc?, I noticed that Elmer was never seen without his helmet in the short, and there were horns attached t9o the hemlet, so at times I would jokingly say that in that cartoon, the horns grew from his head through holes in the sides of the helmet, preventing the helmet from being able to come off.

What a funny thing to say...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought of a few more things I thought as a kid...

In the special Runaway Ralph, the title character has an Uncle Lester. I thought the name was meant to be a parody of Uncle Fester. I think that was the first time I heard of the name Lester, and the name similarity probably isn't intentional.

And there was a VHS release called Daffy Duck: The Nuttiness Continues. That was the first time I heard the term "nutty", and I thought it was a play on "the naughtiness continues" (I'd never heard that phrase, but still, thought nuttiness and naughtiness sounded similar).

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I thought of a few more things I thought as a kid...

In the special Runaway Ralph, the title character has an Uncle Lester. I thought the name was meant to be a parody of Uncle Fester. I think that was the first time I heard of the name Lester, and the name similarity probably isn't intentional.

And there was a VHS release called Daffy Duck: The Nuttiness Continues. That was the first time I heard the term "nutty", and I thought it was a play on "the naughtiness continues" (I'd never heard that phrase, but still, thought nuttiness and naughtiness sounded similar).
Lol...Uncle Fester. I love Uncle Fester. He's awesome!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Lol...Uncle Fester. I love Uncle Fester. He's awesome!
I finally saw "Runaway Ralph" from "YouTube" and I felt sorry for Ralph. He's adventurous and his Uncle Lester treats him like a baby.

I guess I realized that every time I watch something when a character has a fimilar or some kind of problem. I was thinking Ralph (the squeaky voice) reminds me of Rizzo. I wondered what would happen if he ran away from his family and ended up working at "Pete's." The kid, makes me think of either Robin or the young Scooter.

Back to the subject, I absolutely Uncle Fester. He is one serious creature, but his personality is amazing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I guess I realized that every time I watch something when a character has a fimilar or some kind of problem. I was thinking Ralph (the squeaky voice) reminds me of Rizzo. I wondered what would happen if he ran away from his family and ended up working at "Pete's." The kid, makes me think of either Robin or the young Scooter.

I just watched that special on YouTube the other day, and I feel like most of the mice remind me of Alvin and the Chipmunks (they're voices are high-pitched). I was wondering if Uncle Lester and the cat were voiced by the same person, but it turns out they're not (Uncle Lester was voiced by Billy Barty, but I feel he sounds a bit like Don Messick).

Interestingly, about that special, it seems like very few of the girls are referred to by name on-screen, and the cast credits mainly just list their names (well, the credits list who does what voice, which is weird because in live-action things with voice actors it's often the other way around). But Internet Movie Database gives the characters names (I assume it's matching the names given to them in the original book).

I first saw Runaway Ralph in school, and without knowing what to expect, I was thinking of Rowlf, since the name is similar to Ralph. But back then I pretty much associated anybody named Ralph (including Raphael of the TMNT) with Rowlf.

I was also surprised, Runaway Ralph is a sequel to The Mouse and the Motorcycle, but I just found out that the TV adaption of Runaway Ralph came before the TV adaptation of The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Of course I'm also surprised they made a movie based on Horton Hears a Who without making a Horton Hatches the Egg movie first.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is RUNAWAY RALPH on YouTube? I saw it only once as a kid, and vaguely remember very little of it, mot Ralph's little number "Goin' Down the Highway" or whatever it is.

THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE, I've had that on VHS since I was little, it was taped off an airing on the Disney Channel... even did a review of it last summer.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Back when TV Land started and the commercials said to call your cable providers and say "Take me to TV Land!", I thought that was all it took to get TV Land. Did anyone actually do that in an attempt to get the channel?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't something I did, maybe I wasn't a kid when it happened, but still a cool story.
In one of my college courses, during the midterm, everything's quiet. Pens scribbling, students GPA's at stake, and the girl next to me breaks the silence by her stomach growling. Really LOUD. So for the next half-hour, I'm struggling to finish the test, and trying not to laugh. I felt so bad, but her stomach wouldn't stop growling. And the whole class can hear it. Finally I was able to finish, hand in my test, and leave. I get down to the end of the hallway, out of earshot of our classroom, and laughed my butt off.
And you know what class this was ? ETHICS!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Reminds of those four weeks I spent in public school in high school, in Psychology/Sociology class, we were watching a video, with a cast composed of young adults. Anyway, at one point in the video, they were demonstrating how toddlers go through phases where they always want to be with their parent of the opposite sex, so we have a scene where a couple and their tot son (a guy obviously down on his knees, while wearing a bonnet), and at one point the "kid" is like, "Outta the way daddy, I wanna be next to mommy!", then the kid actually elbows his dad in the crotch, and as he falls over, the kid worms his way next to his mom, and she was oblivious to the whole thing. Cracked me up so much, I could not stop laughing for a few minutes, despite drawing stares and quizzical looks from the other kids.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I first heard "The Chipmunk Song", I thought one of Alvin's lines was "Me, I want a who, a who!", as if he wanted a who from Whoville. One of my friends would then quote the song and I could more clearly hear him say "Me, I want a hoola hoop" and I mistakenly thought he was being silly.

Not really silly, but until recently, I thought that one part of the Munchkin Land song from The Wizard of Oz involved the "Lollipop Kids", instead of the Lollipop Guild. Did anyone else make this mistake growing up? Of course quite a few lyrics in that song are hard for me to understand (it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I thought to look up the lyrics, which is when I learned it was called Lollipop Guild).

Another Wizard of Oz mistake I've made until now was that I thought the group of midgets playing the Munchkins were called "The Singing Midgets", but after actually doing some research found that the title was "The Singer Midgets", named after their manager, Leo Singer (and in fact I used to think Leo Sayer was named Leo Singer). Just a few weeks ago I learned that most of the midgets voices were dubbed by voice actors, and I was going to ask in the "What's the deal...?" thread why they'd be called "Singing Midgets" if they weren't doing the actual singing. Good thing I decided to do some online research first.