Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Uwizll

Reaction score
Hold the phone!

I was just reading the Author Resource Guide (again) and I just noticed -- skekUng the General/Garthim Master/2nd Emperor is not on the Skeksis list.

I understand that this is written in-universe and is not a complete list, but does this mean we shouldn't use skekUng in our books?

The Guidebook includes info on the Skeksis we are familiar, plus a new one: skekMal the Hunter and skekVar the General (made for Legends of the Dark Crystal)

Screw it. I'm writing in skekUng. He was skekSil's rival! He was lead in the cast of Skeksis. He has to be included for nostalgia's sake.
*throws a pen at Zeppo, giggles and ducks behind sofa*

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
*Forgets to duck and gets a pen to the temple*

Hold on. I mentioned him in my outline and could've sworn I got his name off the list in the Guide. It's just a small mention, but I gave him a story purpose that only he could fit. I hope we can still use him.

You know what, if we don't get some definitive answers in the next few days, then I give up! I'm going to write what I want to write. If it doesn't conform to their vaguely defined rules and backstory, it's their fault, not mine! *Huff, huff, huff! Pouty, pouty, pout*

Uwizll

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that Henson Company would leave him out and replace him with some comic book one.

I have 2 theories: the people in charge of the whole project probably don't even know the difference between skekUng and skekVar (they have both been Emperor skekSo's General before, so I can see the confusion) and they simply thought skekVar was the guy from the movie: "I am Emper-RAWR!"

Or...
Henson Co. (perhaps...) feel that skekVar is more easily pronounced and (perhaps?) trying to sneak skekVar in as the new "official" name of the General/Garthim Master. Ung is kind of... strange to say aloud.

Okay, stupid theories, both of them. But seriously, did Henson Co. hire some guy off the street to head this project?

I realize I sound whiny and bitter, but dang it... I was so excited for this. I want to make this work. But trying to write for this Contest has felt sort of like trying to squeeze a circle into a square hole.

I'm with you, Zeppo. I'm waiting for clarification from Henson Co., you, anyone. But I think now I'm just going to write what I want to write. (You could argue that maybe that's what they wanted the entire time--but they should have made that clear.)

*Shields face with writing notebook... peers out for a second...*

http://darkcrystal.wikia.com/wiki/SkekVar is a Legends Skeksis.

http://darkcrystal.wikia.com/wiki/SkekUng is the one missing from the Author Resources.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score

Uwizll

Reaction score
Ethan Gilsdorf's new post has not been posted yet. I will post on this thread the moment I see an update, though. Unfortunately there is no ETA.

I'm really looking forward to this Henson interview.

Uwizll

Reaction score
For everyone out there writing a novel -- looking at you, Zeppo -- I don't know if this picture has been circulated around, a lot. But I've never seen it before. Isn't it gorgeous? Obviously a Skeksis and Mystic from ancient times. I love it, I love it, I love it!

This picture is pure inspiration.

Even if you aren't writing for the novel contest, this picture is just nice to look for any fan of The Dark Crystal.
Anyway, good luck, writers!

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I could attach a photo. Go to http://www.movieinsider.com/m2667/the-power-of-the-dark-crystal/ and look at the photo of the Skeksis and what appears to be a captive urRu.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Wonderful art. I just wish they had a higher resolution. I'd love to see the details at full size.

Uwizll

Reaction score
I will try to find a better resolution. I wish I knew where the picture came from...