Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ha, I saw this and immediately thought about the AU scenario where this contest was to write a Labyrinth novel. I think they'd be absolutely swamped with Sarah/Jareth smut fics a la Fifty Shades of Grey.

Is there an echo in here?

Uwizll

Reaction score
I think the picture is official. Ambience Entertainment/Omnilab, who were former sponsors for the PotDC, are cited as the people who posted the picture.

If it indeed is official, I hope it will be released to the public soon. I have never seen it anywhere else.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Yes they really should release more photos. And where are the "hundreds of puppets" they created?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
So, right around the time the whole Gelfling race began finding out the Skeksis are evil.

I wasn't wrong about something! YAAAAAAY!

But they didn't say if we're supposed to be writing about the Gathering itself or not.

Uwizll

Reaction score
It says that in the next few weeks darkcrystal.com should be up and running. I hope that when the online forum/encyclopedia opens up we'll get some more info, plus we can discuss things on the forum.

This sounds incredible. Like Rob Valois said: this is just the beginning of something very exciting!

Uwizll

Reaction score
But they didn't say if we're supposed to be writing about the Gathering itself or not.
True...

...the Gelfling Gathering. This is a rich era in the history of the Gelflings and we really want to see how different writers interpret and develop this point in time.
Maybe we have to sit and wait patiently for darkcrystal.com to launch, Zeppoandfriends. :/

I still have lots of questions. I've halted anymore outlining until I have more information.

I probably won't even begin writing until October 1st. I just want to make sure I go about this the right way...

Laszlo

Reaction score
Good news!
I know this may not affect the new novels but I wondered what is the definitive source now: THE WORLD OF THE DC book or the CREATION MYTHS books?
I prefer the WORLD OF THE DARK CRYSTAL BOOK. It was made in the same period as the movie, and it does not have Raunip and the other ugly alien creature Frii-Trii (the 3 legged pet).

Uwizll

Reaction score
Ugh. Raunip. The Jar Jar Binks of Dark Crystal.

I kid, he isn't that bad...
I just don't like him at all. In the novelization of the DC (and in the movie, I think?) Aughra says that she saw the last Great Conjunction alone.
(I know that in order to make the Creation Myths story interesting , there had to be more characters, I know. Maybe something interesting happens to Aughra later that will make her lose her memories or something?)

Also, in the movie, you'll notice that Aughra's language is choppy--like she speaks a differently language. In the novelization, Jen assumes that this is because she is not accustomed to the Gelfling language.

One thing I would love explored: if you notice in the film, when Jen is caught by Aughra’s vines, Aughra appears and asks “What do you want of me?” Jen says he’s come for a crystal shard. She gives a few for him to find it.

Later in the film, the Garthim take Aughra to the castle. Once again, Aughra asks “What do you want with me?” She complains that the Skeksis didn’t just ask her for the Gelfling, Jen. I find it fascinating how easy it was for her to throw Jen under the bus.

Aughra seems, to me, a force of perfect neutrality. She doesn’t favor Jen or the Skeksis. She just does what is asked of her.

I know that DC’s theme is the relationship of Light and Dark within all of us. I wonder if Aughra is a being who has no favor for the Light or the Dark. She’s balanced and equal.

Even if this is quality of Aughra can be explained as because she’s a goddess/earthmother of Thra, it would be interesting in future graphic novels/novels/movies for this aspect of Aughra to be explored deeper.