Dark Crystal novel writing contest

Uwizll

Reaction score
Good news!
I know this may not affect the new novels but I wondered what is the definitive source now: THE WORLD OF THE DC book or the CREATION MYTHS books?
I prefer the WORLD OF THE DARK CRYSTAL BOOK. It was made in the same period as the movie, and it does not have Raunip and the other ugly alien creature Frii-Trii (the 3 legged pet).
Anyway, sorry I got off topic. To answer your question: it appears Creation Myths and TOKYOPOP's Legends of the Dark Crystal are both considered DC canon. (Dang.)

No word on World of the Dark Crystal being considered canon, though. I always assumed it was...
Are the Archaia and TOKYOPOP graphic novels considered canon?

Absolutely. We love those stories and they are planted solidly in the official Dark Crystal universe.

Laszlo

Reaction score
Aughra seems, to me, a force of perfect neutrality. She doesn’t favor Jen or the Skeksis. She just does what is asked of her.
Indeed, she seems neutral. But maybe she is just rude. I think she hates the Skeksis.

Laszlo

Reaction score
No word on World of the Dark Crystal being considered canon, though. I always assumed it was...
Me too. IMO this is the wrong way...
Jim Henson was deeply involved with the original Novel (from 1982) and the World of the DC book. So those should be canon!

Laszlo

Reaction score
The POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL script fits also pretty well. No wonder it was written by the original script writer David Odell! (and Annette Duffy).

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
"The Gelfling Gathering is a rich period of history..."

Oh yeah? They don't tell us too much about it, do they? I realize we must use our imagination, but a few more guidelines would be useful. The document on the website says little to explain exactly what the Gathering is. I'd assume it's the time when the seven tribes decide to unite against the Skeksis, but I could be wrong.

Uwizll

Reaction score

Me too. IMO this is the wrong way...
Jim Henson was deeply involved with the original Novel (from 1982) and the World of the DC book. So those should be canon!
I'm hoping that the only reason that they haven't come out and said WotDC is canon is because it's pretty obvious that it is. It's a given. It was released in the 80s -- same as the movie, right? If anything's canon, it's that WotDC.

Uwizll

Reaction score
"The Gelfling Gathering is a rich period of history..."

Oh yeah? They don't tell us too much about it, do they? I realize we must use our imagination, but a few more guidelines would be useful. The document on the website says little to explain exactly what the Gathering is. I'd assume it's the time when the seven tribes decide to unite against the Skeksis, but I could be wrong.
From the tidbits of information they've released so far, I'm thinking that they're planning on darkcrystal.com to have more author resource articles. More documents about the Gelfing clans, the Skeksis, the Gelfling Gathering era.

This site, which launches in the next few weeks, will be more
than just an encyclopedia. It will be the destination for all things Dark Crystal and it will be a place where all
fans can connect with each other or reach out with questions.
I think they've gone about this all wrong. They kind of jumped the gun, by even announcing the contest right now. When the forum/encyclopedia version of darkcrystal.com was ready -- with all the story information on there and available -- then they should have announced the Contest.

I've put all efforts toward this Contest on hiatus until I know what the crud is going on.

Me when I first heard about the Contest: Oh my gosh, this is awesome. Okay, sounds like they want us to write the 1st book in a YA series about a boy named Rian going on a quest to spread the truth about the Skeksis.

I outlined, even started writing.

Then I changed my mind. Wait, it's supposed to be our own original, standalone story! So I changed the entire plot. Changed Rian for my own original female Gelfling protagonist.

And today, I feel like I have less information than 3 weeks ago. *sigh*

Uwizll

Reaction score
Indeed, she seems neutral. But maybe she is just rude. I think she hates the Skeksis.
I feel that she hates the Skeksis too now.

When they first divided, WotDC said that Aughra still cooperated with the Skeksis in scientific studies. Aughra even worked with skekTek on a number of things, it says.

Maybe she was burned, or turned from them when they started murdering Gelflings.

It's just that I really feel that she is a force of neutrality, because if she was the spirit of Thra personified, then when she was released from her bag, she should have come out, vines and rocks a-blazing!

"DIE Skeksis scum!"

NOTE: Thank you for your opinion, Lazlo. I hope you don't feel I'm attacking you. I know its never clear over the Internet, but this is supposed to be the friendly sharing of my perspective of the DC mythos. You're welcome to disagree and ignore it.

I may be wrong -- In fact, I know I am. My opinions are wrong now. Creation Myths has taken Aughra's character away from any neutral ground she may have stood on once, and put her in the Spirit of Thra spotlight.

It's just fun for me to wonder "What if Aughra's character was taken a different way, based on the way she was depicted in the film?"

Laszlo

Reaction score
NOTE: Thank you for your opinion, Lazlo. I hope you don't feel I'm attacking you.
Hi, no problem at all. I never felt you were attacking me. Why should I?
Besides, we all just share our opinions. I may be wrong too.

Fascinating that WotDC said Aughra cooperated with the Skeksis... and later she was burned maybe. Who knows? I think she is this rude person because she was alone all these hundreds of years. So when the first visitor comes (Jen) she seems very unpleasant. But later in the movie she turns out to be quite sympathetic.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I think she's just the living embodiment of mother nature. Equally cold and cruel and sheltering and caring all at once.