New Muppets movie must be almost all bluescreen

Beauregard

Reaction score
What about for the Kermit facing the Muppets scene? Why did Kermit have to be done on blue screen? All they would've had to do was put Kermit's back facing the camera and shoot him along with it...
It may have to do with the fact that they likely shot the Kermit speech scene many MANY times to get each moment of emotion right, whereas there was no need to keep all the audience of Muppets and Muppeteers waiting for Steve to get the scene exactly right from every angle?

Hubert

Reaction score
I just thought of something else: it would be interesting to find out what the puppeteers thought of all the blue screen they did. I know in the past some of the Muppeteers have said that green screen or blue screen is extremely hard on the puppeteer, as they don't have a set or anything else to work around, but they have to get the placing, eye contact, and everything else right. I think that they've said that that's why Elmo's World is such a pain to shoot, the whole thing needs to basically be done in green screen.

MWoO

Reaction score
What about for the Kermit facing the Muppets scene? Why did Kermit have to be done on blue screen? All they would've had to do was put Kermit's back facing the camera and shoot him along with it...

And I do see your point on the subway scene, but my point is that I think that we could find better, more productive ways to make money and save time than not going to a subway station.
Kermit was shot separately so that his part could be shot without keeping tons of puppeteers waiting. Imagine if Steve got the giggles that day and couldn't get through it for hours. You'd have a very large group of very grumpy puppeteers. Plus it also gives them a clear shot of all the muppets in a group if they wanted to use it in a trailer or something.

Green and blue screen are here to stay and have always been a part of the muppets going all the way back to the muppet show. Heck, the Jim Henson hour was all blue screen.

Beauregard

Reaction score
In fact, I am on blue screen right now. The laptop and MC are both formatted in later.

WillyThePig

Reaction score
It works for full-bodied shots (like Walter dancing), but it takes away from the warmth, realism, and believability of the scene if they basically green-screen or blue screen the location entirely. I know it's "cheaper" to do it that way, but really, can't the movie industry find other areas to trim the budget so the actual work itself doesn't have to suffer by LOOKING like a cheaply-made movie?

I AM curious though as to how they were able to successful do chromakey with Zoot, considering his hair is basically the same color as the blue screen.
Disney has been doing everything the cheaper way recently and it's not like they can't afford to do location shots...I mean it's disney, c'mon but unfortunately cheesy Disney channel sitcoms are their priority.

Rymoore21

Reaction score
really, you can chroma key any color. some work better than others, but that is how they can get around color conflicts.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
Kermit was shot separately so that his part could be shot without keeping tons of puppeteers waiting. Imagine if Steve got the giggles that day and couldn't get through it for hours. .

not just that but its cheaper to higher 10 puppeteers and use them 100 times than it is to hire 30 - 40 puppeteers

i remember when i first started moving into TV puppetry, i was so against chroma key because it took away the realism of puppets in the real world...while today i do use it for a few reasons (easier than relying on other people...locations etc) if i can get a shot in the real world i will