• The Muppets 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Share your title below.)

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I totally agree unless he's talking about the way it was filmed, which was a major peeve for me in the last movie. They've always been cartoonish in the world's logic, but they've been directed a bit more colorful and "kid's movie"-ish as of late...which is odd to me at least in "The Muppets," since the rest are TV movies and..the Muppet movie that feels like a TV movie. Like The Muppet Movie was cartoonish and nutty in the script but it looked just like the real world so it wasn't always as winking-in-your-face "this is silly and there's puppets."

That is weird though, I never really thought about MTM being the one "realistic" one, but it kind of us.
The Jim-era sets would integrate Kermit and company into our world. That lent a legitimacy that transcended the TV nature of TMS. Since MCC, the sets have catered to the Muppets in a way that created a kind of muppety world. It has nothing to do with actual content or scripted elements. It's the production design. That Oscar category that most people don't quite understand.

I wouldn't make that particular claim for TM. The digital film stock, flat lighting and color saturation are responsible for the tinge of artificiality. It didn't overwhelm the film. Still, I hope they find a way to give the new movie more of an authentic film look in post production.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Digital film is making everything look too perfect and artificial. That's why so many films are bathed in dark blue filters to make them look "realistic." If this can be helped, I sure hope it can be. If it isn't, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Hopefully more exterior shots and bits on location will give the realism the film needs.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Yes, this is something that bugged me, too. The Muppets were always colorful, but they didn't look kiddie-show bright. They looked like they fit into the real world of "The Muppet Movie." This changed slightly with "The Great Muppet Caper," but returned for "The Muppets Take Manhattan." Since the Disney buy-out, all of the Muppets have been really bright and cartoony.

That said, it's a VERY minor thing, and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film. I mean, Jesus, it's a new Muppet movie!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering of the color and brightness has something to do with making them look good for digital media. Let's face it, everything's either exceedingly bright now, or has some weird filter to it. Either that blue filter that pops up in sci-fi type films, or the occasional filter that makes a film look more like film. They actually add filters to CGI movies so they don't look distractingly clear. Maybe they need some artificial filter that gives it more of a film feel to it.

Then there could be something to be said for brand unity, and trying to build up the characters to be more easily recognized by color for younger, first time audiences.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it... I really wonder how good the March release date is going to work, since about 2 weeks later, the blockbuster sequel to Captain America comes out.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Now that I think about it... I really wonder how good the March release date is going to work, since about 2 weeks later, the blockbuster sequel to Captain America comes out.
I was JUST THINKING about that, honestly, I'm not sure, I'm hoping it doesn't bomb cause of that, ah well, we'll find out next year, for now, let's play the waiting game.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it is a good 2 weeks before then. If it can follow the success of The Croods (which also had a late March release), it might not matter. If it can make up its budget and more in the first week, it's still considered a success.