Big Bird's comic, Blue Bird

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember back in late 80's when Big Bird created his own superhero comic called Blue Bird?

It all started when Big Bird was excited when he thought Maria was going to take him to the playground today. But Maria said she couldn't because she had to fix some toasters and make some phone calls. Big Bird became disappointed and he created a comic called Blue Bird. Blue Bird was superhero who was like an altered version of the blue Big Bird from, Follow that Bird, only he had a huge chin shaped beak, a BB on his chest, shinny boots on his feet, and had a deeper superhero voice. It almost sounded like Kevin Clash voiced him. He had his own theme song and made a heroic "tweeeet!"
Some kids wanted to play in the playground, but they found a lot of toasters and telephones cluttering up the place. Blue Bird arrived and believed it was the work of the villain, "The Toaster Fixer Telephone Caller." He disguised himself as a tree by holding up 2 branches and in came the Toaster Fixer Telephone Caller, who was Maria dressed in a ragged costume. She was about to grab a toaster until Blue Bird stopped her. She freaked out and started running wildly throughout the park while Blue Bird kept popping up everywhere, kind of like in that classic Droopy cartoon. Soon Blue Bird had the Toaster Fixer Telephone Caller tied up and the kids cheered for they had their playground back. Once Big Bird finished his comic, Luis and Maria arrived and explained to Big Bird that the real reason Maria was busy was because she was at the doctor and she was pregnant. This was the very first announcement where Maria was going to have a baby. And in the end, Big Bird showed Maria his Blue Bird comic.

In another episode, Bob came back from the laundromat, sat on the front steps of 123, and complained how he was always missing one sock whenever he does the laundry. That gave Big Bird another idea for a Blue Bird story. We see a laundromat with all the familiar adults and kids doing laundry. And they all panicked when they found one sock missing from the laundry. Blue Bird flew in and everyone cheered. Gina made a dazzled, "Blue Bird", whisper and clasped her hands. Blue Bird believed his was the work of, "The Socksnatcher." He disguised himself as a pile of laundry and waited for the Socksnatcher to strike. He turned out to be a guy with a beard with a whole bunch of socks pasted on him. Blue Bird popped out ready to catch him. But the Socksnatcher ran around in circles through the laundromat trying to avoid Blue Bird and all the angry people. But Blue Bird caught him and called to a girl, "Set him up in the next alley, Sally!" The girl called Sally set up 10 soap boxes on a table and Blue Bird slid the Socksnatcher across the table and hit the boxes like bowling pins. A cartoon, POW!, sign appeared and he landed in a pile of laundry. Bob said he liked Big Bird's story and in came Bob's friend from the laundromat who wanted to return Bob's missing sock to him. Big Bird realized that guy looked a lot like his Socksnatcher creation.

Only 2 Blue Bird episodes were made, and I kind of wishes they made more.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I remember that segment. I don't know much about it. I have not seen it in years. But I do remember it. The blue bird kinda reminds me of Sam the Blue Eagle from The Muppet Show.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm glad you remember Blue Bird. It was interesting seeing a Sesame Street character make his own cartoon.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
I'm glad you remember Blue Bird. It was interesting seeing a Sesame Street character make his own cartoon.
So far we do need a picture of Blue Bird or the clips of the Blue Bird inserts. I have been looking for them as well. It would great if some Sesame Street uploaders would post it on certain video sharing sites. But let's hope anyone has it. Blue Bird was created in Season 20.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot. Another blue Big Bird I can think of is Pino from Sesamstraat (Dutch adaptation of Sesame Street).