The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a thread about the series in general, so...yeah.

I love almost all the games in series, with the exceptions of Secret Rings and Sonic '06. The TV shows are really good, too, but that's mainly because it's so bad, that it's good. AoStH is the best adaption, IMO (not because of "SnooPINGAS usual, I see"). I can't get into the Archie comics, too different from the games.

Pretty much everything about the series is great, except for the fanbase (I won't get into that again). The voice acting got really good after Sonic Colors, so that's not really a problem anymore.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
*flings self into thread and pitches a tent*

I'll be staying here for a while. Here, have a muffin. *gives AquaGGR a muffin*

So basically, the list will be shorter if I say what games I haven't played, not including the arcade games or mobile games
  • Sonic Chronicles
  • Sonic Rush (the first one)
  • Sonic 06
  • Shadow the hedgehog
  • Sonic Colors
  • Pocket Adventure
  • Any of the Sonic Riders games
I might be forgetting some Game Gear games, but the point is I've played almost all major console releases. Oh, and I actually have Sonic Jump on my kindle. I got it for free, otherwise its not worth three bucks when you can get Sonic CD for the same price :B

Secret Rings has the main problem of being an early wii game, meaning it was in the wave of games who felt the need to use motion control. I've never had a problem with the motion control personally, except during the final boss fight. That was just...my god...no. Possibly the worst final boss ever.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
I'll be staying here for a while. Here, have a muffin.
*saves muffin to muffin other threads*

Anyways, here's the list of Sonic games I've played. I actually haven't played that many, but still, Sonic's awesome.

• Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic 4: Eps. 1
  • Sonic Dash
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • Sonic '06
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Sonic Rush
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble (I think that's what it's called)
I played a demo of Sonic Heroes on this one disc full of GC demos, but haven't played the full version. I currently have Sonic Riders, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Adventure 2 on my Sonic wishlist. I actually prefer the 3D to the 2D. I own Sonic and Knuckles and I think Sonic 3, but have yet to play it.

I have a quick question, who voices Sonic in Sonic CD when he says "I'm outta here!" and jumps off the screen if you leave the game on too long? It sounds kinda odd, so maybe his Japanese voice actor did it?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love almost all the games in series, with the exceptions of Secret Rings and Sonic '06. The TV shows are really good, too, but that's mainly because it's so bad, that it's good. AoStH is the best adaption, IMO (not because of "SnooPINGAS usual, I see"). I can't get into the Archie comics, too different from the games.
The worst cartoon is Sonic Underground. It has a high concept, but it meanders into Aesop material, and then there's those terrible music numbers. Okay... I get that Steve Urkle can't sing... but must you get off key, high pitched, scratchy voiced terrible singers to sing for them? That's totally against the point of giving someone a non-singing singing voice. No matter how one of them is Double D.

But AOSTH. I don't get why it falls into the so bad it's good pile. It's intentionally goofy, after all. So Bad it's Good works for things that don't know they're bad. Sonic and Tails are pretty cartoonishly 2 dimensional, and all the humor comes from the villains. Long John Baldry gave a delightfully hammy interpretation of the character. His plans were standard cartoon fair that clearly could never work (yet sometimes did, if temporarily). And the animation was wonderfully wonky. Not the greatest thing, but certainly not Filmation stiff. In all respects, it is a dumb cartoon. But a cartoon that revels in its own dumbness, with breakout villains... and the funny thing is, it's the most game accurate cartoon.

I actually own a cel of Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts just about to abduct Tails from "Trail of the Missing Tails."

mr3urious

Reaction score
The worst cartoon is Sonic Underground. It has a high concept, but it meanders into Aesop material, and then there's those terrible music numbers. Okay... I get that Steve Urkle can't sing... but must you get off key, high pitched, scratchy voiced terrible singers to sing for them? That's totally against the point of giving someone a non-singing singing voice. No matter how one of them is Double D.
I like Underground more for Sleet and Dingo myself. And perhaps Bartleby. :big_grin:

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I always end up rooting for the villains in AoStH, Scratch and Grounder are much more likeable than Sonic in the series.

Drtooth said:
This. SU is my second-to-least favorite Sonic cartoon (least favorite is SatAm), because of the bizarre look of the animals and the terrible songs. I'm glad the series is getting the ending resolved in comic book form instead of cartoon.

There are rumors of a new Sonic cartoon, if it becomes a reality, maybe the fans will stop whining about lack of story.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Underground more for Sleet and Dingo myself. And perhaps Bartleby. :big_grin:
Sleet and Dingo are pretty good. I don't even mind the three Sonics all voiced by Urkle. Those are concepts and things that worked. It's just how the show was put together that doesn't work all that well. I mean, it's not as terrible as American Street Fighter, the animated Mortal Kombat for kids, and Double Dragon that had nothing to do with the video game until they made one that did. But those music numbers are nails on a chalkboard.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Who's the best voice acter for Sonic? The majority of the fans say it's Ryan Drummond, but he's my least favorite. His Sonic performance was kinda bland. I personally think Roger Craig Smith is the best, even though he makes Sonic sound a little bit older. The personality is spot on.

From greatest to least:

Roger Craig Smith
Jaleel White
Jason Griffith
Ryan Drummond

I thought Jason Griffith got really good right BEFORE he was replaced. His acting in Black Knight was pretty good.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But it is about time they made a new Sonic cartoon. I mean, I like X and all, but it's time to give that a rest. Even Saban's running the reruns into the ground.

I hope they get whoever does the video game voice talent currently to voice their respective characters. They never get these guys to match up. And I hope Cubot and Orbot are part of the series.

Now all we need is a new, more game accurate, Mario series.