Bear in the Big Blue House Bacon Flavor Corn Snacks

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is kind of shameful. I wonder if Disney are even aware of it, or whether it was just kind of rubber stamped with a lot of other merchandising?

It should definitely be pulled from the shelves. Perhaps someone should write some letters to Disney?
Here's the thing. Cartoon characters are all over foreign junk food, and their cultures are far healthier than ours. Believe me... they even advertise said junk food during the shows with the characters on it. In the US, you can't even show so much as a related toy commercial during a cartoon series.

To be fair, their junk food is of higher quality and in smaller portions.

I am not suggesting this weird flavored snack be pulled off the shelves. Just... come on and DO something with Bear already!

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Woah! I can't believe Disney is still releasing new merchandise for Bear in the Big Blue House, altough it finished it's run seven years ago.

That reminds me, is Bear in the Big Blue House still airing reruns in Ireland?
RTÉ and Disney Junior used to air the show, but they no longer do. They now air iCarly, The Proud Family and the Stitch anime [When will Disney XD USA ever bring it back?] only. This is like how Japan still makes merchandise for magical girl series from the 80's like Creamy Mami The Magical Angel and Magical Princess Minky Momo.

Here's the thing. Cartoon characters are all over foreign junk food, and their cultures are far healthier than ours. Believe me... they even advertise said junk food during the shows with the characters on it. In the US, you can't even show so much as a related toy commercial during a cartoon series.
Being a big fan of the anime franchise "Pretty Cure", I know this quite well. For example, when I went on vacation to California last year and shopped for Pretty Cure goods, most of them came with a ramune candy that was 15 calories, and a bag of chocolate snacks that came with a card for the Data Carddass game was 80 calories. I also used to watch the series live (stopped a few months ago so I could spend more time with family) and ads for Pretty Cure food appeared sometimes. Here are a few I remember, to give you guys a clear example on what ads for Pretty Cure food I saw during the shows:

Suite Pretty Cure:
  • (Circa July 2011, during the sand castle contest episode) This was an ad for Suite Pretty Cure chocolate candy that was strawberry flavored, and you would get a tote of Hummy.
  • (Circa September 2011, during the episode with a toy bunny being the Negatone.) A McDonalds' Happy Meal ad where girls are playing with light up Suite Pretty Cure toys that came with the meal and their mom (or another girl? I couldn't tell) goes "Um, hello?" when she sees the other girls going crazy over their toys.
  • (Circa January 2012) Some girls are eating at a McDonalds restaurant and people are mobbing around them and taking pictures of the Data Carddass cards they have, which have the characters from the then-new series, Smile Pretty Cure. (Note that this ad ended before Smile started, due to a SpongeBob promotion. Even though I hate the show, the ad for the toys was pretty funny, with a kid saying BONCHOUR, and 3 kids revealed behind a falling curtain.
Smile Pretty Cure:
  • (Circa March 2012-The episode where Pop first appears) The same chocolate candy from July 2011, but the premium this time is a tote of Candy, not Hummy)
  • (Circa August 2012-The haunted school episode) My favorite of these ads-girls get aprons with the mascot Candy on it, and they dance to a catchy song.
  • (Circa September 2012-The Youkai AllStars DX episode) An ad for Smile Pretty Cure! McDonalds' toys, with girls dressed in white.
  • (Circa January 2012-The first episode of 2013) An ad for DokiDoki Petty Cure Data Carddass cards at McDonalds'. There's a pun on the word "DokiDoki" in this ad too.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope Disney Junior brings back Bear next year!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Being a big fan of the anime franchise "Pretty Cure", I know this quite well. For example, when I went on vacation to California last year and shopped for Pretty Cure goods, most of them came with a ramune candy that was 15 calories, and a bag of chocolate snacks that came with a card for the Data Carddass game was 80 calories. I also used to watch the series live (stopped a few months ago so I could spend more time with family) and ads for Pretty Cure food appeared sometimes. Here are a few I remember, to give you guys a clear example on what ads for Pretty Cure food I saw during the shows:
Two things. You know why Japanese trading figures come with candy, right? So they can technically be legally classified as candy, and thus you don't have to pay sales tax on them. And most of them will come with that single sweetart like thing. I did get a Golgo-13 figure that came with some pretty decent Buncha Crunch type choclate, though. But those Sweetarts have a better shelf life.

Secondly, that's nothing. Anpanman has a HUGE kid friendly snack food empire, and it's a preschool series. They range from various cookies (they even had bagged vegetable/fruit cookies that were shockingly good) to chocolate (in a large bag or in shaped and colored lollipop form). It's like the only consistent thing I find at Asian grocers with an anime character on it.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Two things. You know why Japanese trading figures come with candy, right? So they can technically be legally classified as candy, and thus you don't have to pay sales tax on them. And most of them will come with that single sweetart like thing. I did get a Golgo-13 figure that came with some pretty decent Buncha Crunch type choclate, though. But those Sweetarts have a better shelf life.

Secondly, that's nothing. Anpanman has a HUGE kid friendly snack food empire, and it's a preschool series. They range from various cookies (they even had bagged vegetable/fruit cookies that were shockingly good) to chocolate (in a large bag or in shaped and colored lollipop form). It's like the only consistent thing I find at Asian grocers with an anime character on it.
Yes. I do have a lot of Pretty Cure Candy Toys. And yes, I do currently have a bag of Anpanman chocolates sitting in my freezer right now(because they would melt if I left them out), and I also ate the lollipops, because my sister likes that show due to an incident where a little kid watched it while eating dinner when we went to a wedding in Georgia-I heard the theme song when going back upstairs to my hotel room! This is because his aunt and uncle were Japanese. My sister wanted to buy something Anpanman related at Mitsuwa last week, but my dad frowned upon it because it was a "baby show"-even though she says it's like the Tamagotchi anime. At Asian markets here, I commonly see Pretty Cure Furikake, curry featuring some show about a human with a duck beak (Atashin Chin, I think it's called), Pokemon candy and soup, Pororo (which airs on V-me here in Spanish, usually after Peep and the Big Wide World or Sesame Street), Disney stuff, Crayon Shin Chan chips (which tasted horrible, BTW), and some Korean show about cars.

And also-about the "Foreign cultures are healthier than ours", I once read an article that said food based on Mr. Men, Teletubbies and Bob The Builder sold in the United Kingdom were unhealthy for kids because they had too much salt in them. And then there's this article.

Im from Ireland and i saw these years ago i don't know if they were bacon flavored but i remember see them and eating them years ago
Either they brought them back, or this is old news.

MuppetGeek

Reaction score
i dont think i saw them in 2013 but sometime a couple of years back like 2008 or something

mimitchi33

Reaction score
i dont think i saw them in 2013 but sometime a couple of years back like 2008 or something
I think Bear still aired on Playhouse Disney in Ireland back then. Many foreign Playhouse Disney channelss showed the series up until 2011, like the Canadian one. It would make more sense if the snacks were sold in 2008 rather than now.
What? Why bacon flavored? What about Doc Hog.....I mean they're friends with a pig for crying out loud!
Well, looking at the company's website, they also make Moshi Monsters and Peppa Pig varieties of the snack, and the Peppa Pig one isn't bacon flavored. Maybe because there isn't a pig on the package, or they just think that kids love bacon?

FraggleFrick

Reaction score
Does this make anyone else angry? You take a show that should be on right now, and you turn it in to bacon and cheese! What??? Who is thinking about Doc Hog at this point? They are friends with a PIG for Crying Out Loud! Bear needs to get more respect than this! :grr:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Well,shows like Sesame Street have been used for promoting some pretty weird stuff. This doesn't bother me at all,I guess Bear in the Big Blue House is just more popular in Ireland right now than it currently is in the US.

FraggleFrick

Reaction score
I just hate that they made it BACON SNACKS! Could they make some gummies or something?