Are Ernie and Bert gay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Why must every set of good friends be conceived as gay/lesbo or whatever? It's demeaning. Then again, those terms in themselves are--I would think, anyway--demeaning to the true people who live an alternate lifestyle, but then again, seeing as I am straight, I wouldn't really know what people who live an alternate lifestyle would think.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is said that Sesame Workshop has denied it while Frank Oz has been coy when approaching the subject about his view. Either way, it shouldn't matter. If they're not making a deal of it, why should anyone else. The Muppet characters tend to be however the fans perceive them. The abstract designs and colorful archetypes encourage that. Case closed. Now we can go on to talking about Baby Bear’s lisp or Cookie Monster’s eating disorder. :rolleyes: Or maybe there are better thread topics to discuss. :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Agreed. Let the topic rest, for it demeaning to the characters as the characters they are.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why must every set of good friends be conceived as gay/lesbo or whatever? It's demeaning. Then again, those terms in themselves are--I would think, anyway--demeaning to the true people who live an alternate lifestyle, but then again, seeing as I am straight, I wouldn't really know what people who live an alternate lifestyle would think.
That's what I'd like to know!

A friend of mine has a friend whom he hasn't seen in a long time because he was in a horrible accident that had him hospitalized, and he ended up bumping into him the other day and was so happy to see him, everybody's convinced he's gay and has "feelings" for him, which isn't true.

Me, on the other hand, the last time I got to see my real-life best friend was about this time last year, and even then, we hadn't seen each other in about a year or so, and we both gave each other a big, glompin' hug, but nobody thought we were gay because everybody who saw who knew we were good friends who hadn't seen each other in a while.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:cool:The whole Ernie and Bert gay thing started in 1981 in a SNL weekend update skit so that should clear up as to where it started. I never thought of them as gay but I did have a few questions about them such as how did they derive their income, where did they meet, with all of the monsters that were always breaking in and hassling them where were the police and why didn't they fight back, and finally while Bert was always the responable one what's up with Ernie I always figured he was pulling some kind of SSI scam or was on drugs big time.

I dunno. how do the Ninja Turtles get their Television, fridge, couch, and other things? And they had this stuff even before they met April.

How did Inspector Gadget start taking care of Penny?

Whatever happened to Dumbella Duck, Huey, Dewey and Louie's real mother?

There are much more fascinating "how dids" and origins of characters to discuss.

As far as the Ernie and Bert relationship thing... I dunno. Does that make Oscar and Felix (the odd couple) gay? Same for Larry and Balki?

I feel the characters aren't, especially since it's evident that Bert is straight in the song "I wanna hold your Ear" and the Connie Stevens episode of TMS. Other than that, I think they're just room mates. Not that there is anything wrong with them being that way. But I hate when drunk college kids think way too hard about their childhood favorites just to be crude.

So to me, they're a-sexual, and just little kids that somehow talk like they're a bit older. Other than that, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked by now...

Da Dogster

Reaction score
Let it rest

Let's all say that we know the truth the others who want to keep this going..
PLEASE give it a rest!:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. We're closing this thread and moving on...

Status
Not open for further replies.