The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island coming to Blu-ray December 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
that's great news, I always wondered why the MTI singalong was never included as a bonus feature and even though it's not the whole thing i'm so glad to get a song out of it especially one with Clueless, Polly and Mad Monty, now this is a worthy special feature. Looks like i'll be buying this one too :wink::fanatic::batty:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I enjoy the Sing-Along song, but why wouldn't they just use the entire video?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if it is a clip or if there's actually a "music video" (as it was referred to) that we don't know about. The Sing-Along Video should be included (as should the behind-the-scenes special that aired on The Disney Channel)! Even though the Sing-Along isn't one of my favorites.

Wouldn't it be cool if this contained the Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan segments from Muppets Tonight? I'd rather have the whole series, but at least it'd get some MT content available commercially.

that's great news, I always wondered why the MTI singalong was never included as a bonus feature and even though it's not the whole thing i'm so glad to get a song out of it especially one with Clueless, Polly and Mad Monty, now this is a worthy special feature. Looks like i'll be buying this one too :wink::fanatic::batty:

I used to wonder that about the original DVD as well. But I think that The Jim Henson Company retained the rights to the sing-along, even though Disney always owned the rights to the movie. Maybe it was a rights thing (even though they were able to produce new Muppet content for the bonus features and menus).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With the current announcement that it'll include "Let the Good Shine Out" but supposedly won't include the whole MTI Sing-Along video (as far as we currently know), I wonder what it would be like if all of Disney's Muppet movie DVDs contained clips from existing productions...

Like if The Muppet Movie included Kermit and Debbie Harry's performance of The Rainbow Connection and maybe the "Froggy Went A'Courtin'" sequence from The Muppets' Valentine Show. Or if this upcoming DVD also included the Muppet Show UK Spots "Maybe It's Because I'ma Londoner" and the Sherlock Holmes sketch, the "Hey a Movie!" performance from The Muppets Go to the Movies, scenes from the Glenda Jackson episode, and the pirate sketch from the Ted Danson episode of The Jim Henson Hour. And if The Muppet Christmas Carol DVD had scenes from A Muppet Family Christmas and Letters for Santa, maybe if The Muppets has some classic TMS moments, and if The Muppets' Wizard of Oz had Robin's performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and the Wizard of Oz medley from The Muppets Go to the Movies (though that might violate The Muppets' Wizard of OZ trying NOT to be the classic 1939 film).

I wonder if the GMC and MTI soundtracks will be rereleased as a reult of this, like the TMM soundtrack has.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how many of the Muppet movie DVDs (and Blu-Rays) seem to have a small amount of features, particularly GOOD features (even if that's not entirely true... it seems like the original DVDs of MCC, MTI, and maybe also It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie and The Muppets' Wizard of Oz have a good amount of great features, and The Muppet Blu-ray has some good stuff, but they still feel lacking), and yet The Great Muppet Caper seems to be the one to get the biggest shaft. The original DVD only had Muppetisms (while the original DVDs of TMM and MTM have some features related to the movies as well as Muppetisms) and of course the 50th anniversary DVD was just like the other 50th anniversary rereleases (except MCC), having only Pepe's Profile interviews. And now it's not only paired with another Muppet movie, but all currently known features relate to the other one (we don't even know yet if the Pepe's Profiles will be included on this).

Even if they no longer have deleted scenes, outtakes, or the original trailer (this seems to be the only Muppet movie where the original trailer, teaser or otherwise, hasn't even shown up online), they could still do some good features. There might not be any behind-the-scenes footage, but they could do a photo gallery, maybe even the clip from The Secrets of the Muppets where Jim Henson explains how the bicycle scene was done. Then again, these days it seems Disney wants nothing to do with releasing anything that shows the Muppets are not real (though the Muppet Christmas Carol Blu-Ray does include existing behind-the-scenes stuff from the first DVD, and it looks like this DVD will have behind-the-scenes stuff from the first MTI DVD, though I've never seen that DVD so I don't know if that has much performer footage). Even if they don't want to do those kinds of features, they could have the Muppets do a commentary track, or maybe a featurette with the Muppets reflecting on working on the film.

With Disney avoiding special features that show the Muppet performers performing the characters, it would be great if they'd rerelease The Art of the Great Muppet Caper, considering that book treats the Muppets like they are real. Not sure whether rereleasing old Muppet books is up to Disney or not (beyond maybe approval).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Cover Art aside this is going to be great! I loved the way they made the Muppet Movie look so much better, and clearer. They could put the Blu-ray disk in a cardboard box with holes and I would not care. There is that old saying "don't judge and book by it's cover" Well just the same here "Don't judge a Blu-Ray by it's cover!"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't help but think that the bonus features are MTI heavy. Something tells me there's not much they could do with GMC, even if it was a standalone release.

As for the cover, conceptually, it's much better than most Disney 2 pack covers... they're usually just reused cover art smushed together. While we could argue about the photoshop job that could have been much better, I like that the two films connect to each other rather than seem like a bargain combo of a film and its DTV sequel.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can't help but think that the bonus features are MTI heavy. Something tells me there's not much they could do with GMC, even if it was a standalone release.

Even if outtakes, deleted scenes, and the original trailer don't exist, it would be great if they could include a commentary and even a photo gallery. I'd like to see a copy of the script included (there have been DVDs with the script as a bonus feature, maybe not too many but there have been some). Even if Disney won't include behind-the-scenes photos, they could include storyboards (which exist, the Red Book site and Imagination Illustrated have proof of that), promotional images, merchandise... I wonder if Disney could get the rights to include the commercial for the McDonald's glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.