Ghost alerts?

Vincent L

Reaction score
Is it just me, or are folks receiving ghost email alerts? I have received a number of alerts, but when coming to the forum, there is no alert, and the thread has no new posts.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The new post may have been removed before you saw it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hexactly, Slackbot's fright. Ah, I love it when I get to freely use my spook speak.
*Gives Aunt Ru's pun police the evil-eyed death glare to leave.

It seems like a ghost alert of a new post to your subscribed threads only because it's possible said new post was made by a spammer and thus deleted, leaving you with no new post to read.
UD: No news is a good noose tonight.

*Hopes the forum administration steps in and removes the spamjerks post haste.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What Ed means is the posts were insignificant, meaningless, and contributed nothing to the threads.

Lately, we've been having problems with some members who keep posting for the sake of posting, so Ed's been having to delete a LOT of posts that are basically like, "Yeah" or "I agree", or basically anything along the lines of tl;dr.

Animal31

Reaction score
What Ed means is the posts were insignificant, meaningless, and contributed nothing to the threads.

Lately, we've been having problems with some members who keep posting for the sake of posting, so Ed's been having to delete a LOT of posts that are basically like, "Yeah" or "I agree", or basically anything along the lines of tl;dr.
I can understand what you are saying, but isn't this an open forum? Vulgarity I can understand, but I don't think it's right for someone to decide what they feel contributes or not just because it may be a one word comment. All that will do is turn people away from contributing at all.....

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That counts as spam on almost all forums I've been to and will get you banned on repeat offenses. It's not something petty going on here. Some forums even have a word minimum where the post won't go through unless you type a certain number of words.

Spam is short for short, pointless, annoying, message and that is exactly what a one word reply is. We have been over this a number of times now but the like function is there so you don't have to post a one/two word reply of "ok" or "I agree"

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Sgt Floyd said:
That counts as spam on almost all forums I've been to and will get you banned on repeat offenses. It's not something petty going on here. Some forums even have a word minimum where the post won't go through unless you type a certain number of words.

Spam is short for short, pointless, annoying, message and that is exactly what a one word reply is. We have been over this a number of times now but the like function is there so you don't have to post a one/two word reply of "ok" or "I agree"
i agree

In all seriousness, I find myself deleting a lot of my posts, when I don't feel they contributed to the thread or were simply not needed. This may have caused "ghost" alerts for certain people. :sympathy: