One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Drtooth

Reaction score
They did something similar with that Rocky and Bullwinkle movie in 2000: not so much that nobody liked them anymore, but rather, it's been so long since they had been on television, let alone been relevant to modern pop culture, that they were pretty much forgotten.
Actually it was more like no one really cared. They were still on television, but the residual checks kept getting smaller.

In context of the movie The Muppets, it seems to work well. It's not so much they were hated, so much that the fair weather fans, while they still love them, forgot they were around. Quite honestly, the actual movie proved that. There was a fanbase, but it was long dormant.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I don't think I was bothered by the billboard, I figure since it's Disney they might sneak some adverts of their other work in there from time to time I guess. Troma does the same thing. But yeah, I can see how that can be irritating. Though in The Muppets, the fart shoes thing still makes me shiver. As well as Frank saying the movie was a little too safe, I think I can probably agree to that. I liked the new movie, I end up singing "Life's a happy song" at least one a week to myself when ever I'm in a good mood. lol But yeah, I prefer the classics personally. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but "X didn't have any speaking lines" is BULL! It's obnoxious fan nitpicking, and we should at least be thankful we even got that one line out of X character.

Remember when Dr. Teeth said "Shalom" in MFS and it was the greatest thing ever? Or same movie when Scooter was selling T-shirts? That was the most we've seen of those character since the last Henson project before he died. The fact they were even in that movie, let alone The Muppets, was amazing.

Here's the deal. The film had way too many Muppets in it. And for each of them to get a big moment of glory would have killed any semblance of story. I mean, they shoved enough in a 90 minute film as it is. Yes, it would have been awesome for the Mayhem to have a song all to itself, the first one since "You can't Take No for an Answer" (unless you count the mostly instrumental Nap Time from MWO)... but they didn't even have time to have the 30 seconds of plot reveal in the villain's song.

Meanwhile, Link Hogthrob gets his first major speaking (well, singing) sequence in a movie ever. Where's the appreciation for that? Let alone Wayne and Wanda's make out session. Characters that haven't been seen (not counting the comics) since The Muppet Show.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but "X didn't have any speaking lines" is BULL! It's obnoxious fan nitpicking, and we should at least be thankful we even got that one line out of X character.

Remember when Dr. Teeth said "Shalom" in MFS and it was the greatest thing ever? Or same movie when Scooter was selling T-shirts? That was the most we've seen of those character since the last Henson project before he died. The fact they were even in that movie, let alone The Muppets, was amazing.

Here's the deal. The film had way too many Muppets in it. And for each of them to get a big moment of glory would have killed any semblance of story. I mean, they shoved enough in a 90 minute film as it is. Yes, it would have been awesome for the Mayhem to have a song all to itself, the first one since "You can't Take No for an Answer" (unless you count the mostly instrumental Nap Time from MWO)... but they didn't even have time to have the 30 seconds of plot reveal in the villain's song.

Meanwhile, Link Hogthrob gets his first major speaking (well, singing) sequence in a movie ever. Where's the appreciation for that? Let alone Wayne and Wanda's make out session. Characters that haven't been seen (not counting the comics) since The Muppet Show.
I agree with you. Films aren't made with 'who gets what/how many lines' in mind. Everything is there to serve the greater story. My criticism is that there were opportunities to weave the Mayhem into the picture and they decided against it. I still say that that the "We Built This City" segment should have been performed by the Mayhem. I understand the excuses that some say about it; that the group wasn't totally back together yet. Hogwash! Maybe it could have started as sticking a cassette into a boom box (very 80's) and then movie magic could have taken over.

I still love the film anyway.

robodog

Reaction score
I've seen the movie several times now and I've never seen the Cars billboard. I'm sure it would have annoyed me if I had though. The Cars characters don't even deserve to be on the same planet as the Muppets, let alone appear in the same movie. Even if that appearance was only on a billboard.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've seen the movie several times now and I've never seen the Cars billboard. I'm sure it would have annoyed me if I had though. The Cars characters don't even deserve to be on the same planet as the Muppets, let alone appear in the same movie. Even if that appearance was only on a billboard.
I'll say this again... The Cars billboard is a million times better than the other billboard that would have been in the movie. A movie people like even less than Cars 2.