Fraggles at DragonCon 2013

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ziffeled! I'd edit this into my previous post, but for some reason it doesn't want to let me edit it.

Write an article about the con? I'd have to organize my thoughts a lot better than I did for the above post. I may give it a try, though.

One thing I learned the hard way at Dragon*Con: while reticulated foam doesn't bother me in the short term, when you work a puppet whose head is that foam for hours, it scrapes the crud out of your hand! Over and over I'd take my hand out and the knuckles were red. I'm gonna be doing some open-skull surgery to cover the bad spots with denim to save my poor hands in the future. Lessons learned!

theSHE124

Reaction score
I'll be writing my article on here soon! Almost finished journaling down, so once that's that, I'll describe my experience on here. Don't touch that dial, folks! :news:

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Just to add some clarity: The last video posted in this thread was the press-only version of the Fraggle Rock panel. There was a general public version that lasted for closer to an hour.

I have full audio recordings from nearly every one of the panels. If anyone's interested, I could distribute those (and I'll take suggestions on the best way to do that). Here's what I have:

- Designing a World: The Work of Michael Frith
- Down In Fraggle Rock
- Puppetry with a Purpose: No Strings International
- Puppets, Pixels, and Portals: The Work of Karen Prell
- The Work of Kathryn Mullen
- Animating Portal's Wheatley (by Karen Prell)
- State of Puppetry Roundtable (six panelists, including Victor Yerrid and Paul McGinnis)

Unfortunately I did not go to the Muppet Babies presentation with Michael Frith. Michael is a great speaker (and a great guy!) and I would have loved to have gone to this, but Kathy's presentation was scheduled at the same time.

Karen was also 1 of 3 panelists for the "Art of Video Games". I did not go to this, but I assume a lot of what she had to say here was included in her Wheatley presentation.

Some of the presentations did include videos and photos, but I don't think any of that is necessary to enjoy the audio.
That's great but why didn't you record videos for this?
I really want the videos. :frown:

theSHE124

Reaction score
Can I tell you the funny parts of a panel meeting I caught on Sat., Frackleman? Everyone remembers funny parts! :laugh:

Anyway, I just finished my journal entry. I'll tell about my experience tomorrow. One question, though, since this was my first time EVER in DragonCon, should I tell about the whole thing, or just the Fragglish parts?

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Can I tell you the funny parts of a panel meeting I caught on Sat., Frackleman? Everyone remembers funny parts! :laugh:

Anyway, I just finished my journal entry. I'll tell about my experience tomorrow. One question, though, since this was my first time EVER in DragonCon, should I tell about the whole thing, or just the Fragglish parts?
Tell the whole thing, please!

theSHE124

Reaction score
Okay, here's was my day, my first time, in DragonCon:

^^^^^

It all started early in the morning. In my guise of Dipper Pines, I was more than ready for this big day. It was a lovely morning ride in the car, heading to the Kingslington area of Metro Atlanta.

I then waited at a closed juvenile court, but my older sister forgot the meeting place! She and four of her friends were already at the parking lot of the MARTA station. My sister, dressed as Mabel Pines, was so happy to see me! With the initial picture-taking (TWINS!), my sis knew she feels like Mabel from being taller than me. And I know I'm more like Dipper because, according to my sis's boyfriend, I sneeze like a kitten. I was also carrying important essentials for today!

Down to the MARTA station, we saw other people ready to see the DragonCon. I've been on these kindsof passenger trains before, but these vehicles accelerate fast! The ride across Atlanta was also bumpy. The Westbound Blue Line goes as far as H.M. Holmes, but the boyfriend was sure the second stop after Five Points would give us an easier way to the Ticket Building.

But the station we left from was around the football stadium, surrounded by one or so tailgater at the time. It was a longer walk than what we should've taken, and the other handle of my bag broke along the way! (But the contents never got hurt at all!)

It was dreary cloudy outside, but grew brighter when we saw a line to the Ticket Building. I had put on sunscreen myself earlier, but it didn't help with the humid sweat. As the wait outside kept going on, I wanted the others of our group to play Guess the Costumes with me. (I think this should be a convention game, and high fives would be given to those who guess correctly!)

It took about 45 min. for us to get inside and find our lines to get the passes. However, nearly 45 min. more went to waiting in the Credit Card line! I knew I saved my money for this, so my sis and I went to the Cash line. Writing the forms took some time, but that line was faster to use. The cash was well worth it as we each got our Saturday badges!

We waited for the others in the hallway, getting much needed water and a sovenier book. We tried to figure out where the FR events were taking place when three more in our group got their badges. With all morning wasted in those lines, we agreed to get some lunch, except for the last badged person who went ahead to gather autographs.

DragonCon is in 4 hotel buildings, all connected by skywalks in one level or another. In one hotel, we found several cafes we gathered food for lunch. An elf lady (forgot her name) was generous to share a small table for us to sit around.

After lunch, we had to catch up with our missing member at another hotel. There's a Hall of Fame where well-known people are to give autographs for the fanatics. Among those in the Hall were several generation one Power Rangers, Roger Bumpass, Star Trek actors, and two men we noticed, Rob Paulsen and Maurice LaMarke. The names together may not make sense...unless they be Pinky and the Brain! [This would be where Slackbot does a Squee!] My sis and I got so excited to see them, and Jackie sang the country song with them. I paid for each of their autographs on one picture, just to surprise my family!

I soon got word that a special FR question place would be at the Hyatt Hotel around 2:30. So my sis and I broke from the group and rested around the ballroom floor. It was great for us to be in matching costumes. My sis was worried we would be the only ones in Gravity Falls costumes. However, people did recognize the meaning of our guises, letting 5 cameras to take pics of us! Besides, we saw 5 more Dippers, and one of them was an old friend of ours we haven't seen in years!

Once the line for the FR event began, I just had to get in! Though the long wait outside is beyond our understanding, we were lucky to be at the shady side of the Hyatt throughout the hour. But luckier for me still was that I got to meet up with you, Slackbot, for real!

When the line finally moved, we traveled up a flight of stairs and into the ballroom. There were lots of chairs, but my sis and I sat close to Slackbot and her friend with a mini-Boober puppet. It was amazing to see Michael Frith, Kathy Mullen, and Karen Prell taking the table; it had to be the third time in my life my jaw grew stiff!
[Second time was seeing Heather Henson!] They discussed how they first got into the Muppets, how working in FR changed their lives, and answered questions from the audience, which led to some awkward breakdowns of reality barriers!

For instance: You guys should've seen Red's face when she learns that Michael is married to Kathy!

FRITH: And don't get us started how Cotterpin Doozer fits into this!

My sis had no idea the two were married! I think I did, but I must've forgotten. Dog-gone it! Even my semi-insane brain has limitations!

Anyway, after that, I followed Slackbot making a B-Line to the next line. My sis and I managed to get into the Meet-&-Greet. We got to socialize with other while waiting to get in line, especially you, Slackbot! You and your Kathy friend got to photo-take before us, and, as I said in another thread, I witnessed the transfer of the postcards! My sis joined me with the free photo as her I-Phone was used for the picture. At this point, I personally asked Karen if I look like her. Another friend of mine pointed it out one time, and he maybe right, at least when Karen was younger, I think...(What do you think, Slackbot?) Left the momentous occasion by the receiving of a special poster design.

My sis's friends were waiting for us when we reunited with them. Passing by the skekSil-costumed guy, it was already time to find dinner, and the boyfriend knew just the place down the street: a pub without smoking or waitresses. He found us a table and we all managed to get our dinner.

I didn't finish mine, but we went back to the Con to take one last look at the Hall of Fame. My sis got to see John Di'Maggio, a veteran in the voice acting field. He recognized our costumes right away, as he's the voice for Manly Dan, the lumberjack at GF! !I think this is gonna make the cartoon 100x more awesome for my sis!)

After seeing the guy who created The Walking Dead (I think), we returned to a big fountain to find two others who broke from us. With all 6 of us together, it was agreed we all head for home. The day went so long that the sky was already darkening with some thunderclouds later on. After a slight misdirection, (which I showed two young girls in a Subway my GF Bag!), one of us found a MARTA station and we went down to a North/South station by elevator. From there, we took Southbound to Five Points, a hub of Metro Atlanta's passenger railway, and then took the Blue Line Eastbound back to Kingslington, back to our cars, and journey on a long, relaxing way home.

^^^^^

And that's how it all happen, pretty much. Will I do something that plane crazy again? Maybe if something important comes up next year...

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Can anyone tell us if Kathy said she would love to be in the Fraggle Rock movie? Just for fun, here's Muppeteer David Stephens at Dragoncon with his Kermit puppet:

theSHE124

Reaction score
Hey, I saw that guy! I thought he was stealing the spotlight. :shifty:

Slackbot

Reaction score
For instance: You guys should've seen Red's face when she learns that Michael is married to Kathy!

FRITH: And don't get us started how Cotterpin Doozer fits into this!
Ha! I'd forgotten about that bit. As I remember it, Red was shocked when she found out that Frith was married to *Mokey.* And then came the Cotterpin line. I'll have to see if I can find that bit in the panel audio so I can put down the exact line.

I'm glad that you had such a good time at the con. And it sounds like I came across as more pleasant than I thought I did. In real life I can be a bit shy, and all too often people see that as unfriendliness.

Here's the photo Kathy and I got from the Fraggle Meet & Greet:

What amazed me is how they handled the meet & greet. They had over 500 people there for photos and only an hour to do 'em in! So the Dragon*Con wranglers had us sit in seats and they took us row by row, asking us to pose in groups if we were in groups to speed it along. We couldn't chat, but we would all have our moment. They couldn't sign autographs, as their hands were kinda full, but the first 300 people would get signed copies of a special Dragon*Con limited edition printing of Frith's Fraggle Anniversary cake design. When we got up there we saw that the D*C staffers were ready to take our cameras, snap photos, and hand them back. Though it was quick and efficient, they were also pleasant rather than brusque. I had a few words with Mullen, Prell, and Frith, and I even got to hug Prell. :excited: Squee!

As it turned out, Kathy and I were past the 300-poster cutoff. But, fortunately, they did not enforce that. Kathy got poster #301 (of 500) and I got poster #304.

I sat close to Slackbot and her friend with a mini-Boober puppet.
Oh, I dunno. In the photo above Boober's not that much smaller than Red, and on the show he's the smallest Fraggle. :sigh: