One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yes, I honestly don't give a frog who gets how many lines. I was merely correcting those saying "so and so said nothing in this movie". :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with you. Films aren't made with 'who gets what/how many lines' in mind. Everything is there to serve the greater story. My criticism is that there were opportunities to weave the Mayhem into the picture and they decided against it. I still say that that the "We Built This City" segment should have been performed by the Mayhem. I understand the excuses that some say about it; that the group wasn't totally back together yet. Hogwash! Maybe it could have started as sticking a cassette into a boom box (very 80's) and then movie magic could have taken over.

I still love the film anyway.
If they were going for that, they might as well have just gone with a recording of "Can You Picture That." It really seems any major opportunities to give certain characters a bigger role, especially the band, would have been cut out to fit the 90 minute time frame. Something seems like they had a big number that got cut in a script rewrite or something. If anything, I think the film could have used a sequence where the band was trying to get Animal to go back to his crazy self to no avail.

Personally, I think the getting the gang back together/Travel by Map sequence would have been better if they didn't use "Cars" and rather used an instrumental version of "Movin' Right Along."

That said, I wonder... something tells me they wanted to really get the 80's montage reference, but they couldn't get the rights to "Put one Foot in front of the other."

jvcarroll

Reaction score
If they were going for that, they might as well have just gone with a recording of "Can You Picture That." It really seems any major opportunities to give certain characters a bigger role, especially the band, would have been cut out to fit the 90 minute time frame. Something seems like they had a big number that got cut in a script rewrite or something. If anything, I think the film could have used a sequence where the band was trying to get Animal to go back to his crazy self to no avail.

Personally, I think the getting the gang back together/Travel by Map sequence would have been better if they didn't use "Cars" and rather used an instrumental version of "Movin' Right Along."

That said, I wonder... something tells me they wanted to really get the 80's montage reference, but they couldn't get the rights to "Put one Foot in front of the other."
I was also a little bit annoyed that the Muppets were mostly portrayed as an 80's entertainment property. Even though they are evergreen, the 70's would have been a much more appropriate decade to highlight.

robodog

Reaction score
I'll say this again... The Cars billboard is a million times better than the other billboard that would have been in the movie. A movie people like even less than Cars 2.

I'll give you that one. That would have been much worse than Cars 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was also a little bit annoyed that the Muppets were mostly portrayed as an 80's entertainment property. Even though they are evergreen, the 70's would have been a much more appropriate decade to highlight.
I don't so much think the 80's theme had anything to do with the Muppets (except for the big break up after MTM being part of the plot... that was subsequently cut from the film and only known through the novelization), so much as it's basically author appeal. Jason seems to have been one of those 80's kids that wanted to throw a love of that era's films into the mix. After all, How I met Your Mother has a lot of 80's references in it. I'm actually surprised that there wasn't any Star Wars thrown into the mix, except for the Star Wars/Muppets Disneyland figurine set in the background.

I'll give you that one. That would have been much worse than Cars 2.
Cars 2 was greenlighted by John Lassiter. Same John Lassiter tried like heck to prevent Gnomeo and Juliet to get made. Even the concept of the film was someone trying to make Toy Story with Midwestern Lawn Kitsch instead of toys. Disney didn't even want to release the movie (hence the Touchstone label) and only did so as a contractual obligation. Then it made money (!) during a dump month, and Disney actually likes it now, and we're getting a Gnome Sherlock Holmes B****rdization. Much worse than Mater being a Spy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If The Muppets (2011) had been made in the 90s I think the 70s would have been all over it, lol.