Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The "I Need A Hug" thread was probably started due to the bulk size of the former "Kiss Kiss Hug Hug" thread and/or the latter got buried down the forum by newer threads, that tends to happen which leads us to the former complaint of people starting multiple threads on the same subject or serving the same purpose when not really needed.

The "I Think I'm Going Out of My Head" thread is also breeding grounds for spam. Unfortunately, because of it's bulk size I'd have to call in the forum administration to help with the problem.

As to Dwayne's suggestion, maybe said welcoming committee could be newly-promoted Junior Moderators. But since that doesn't seem likely, so long as people help out the new members realize what's okay and what isn't we should end some of these spammish shenanigans.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It almost sounds like we need to do some spring cleaning of some threads. Is there not a way that after a thread has been "inactive" for an un said certain amount of time that it would be closed and deleted? Then just before that happened the creater of the post would receive notification that it was about to be closed, and if they wanted to bump the thread they could. Or am I thinking to much?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, but you'd have to submit it to the forum administration as I have no control over that. The only thing I can do at this moment is either delete posts or entire threads. And it should be noted there are certain members who just don't get the hint, even after bludgened with it through their skulls not to bump old threads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Some forum services actually do that; Hubert's Arthur forum, for example, if you bump certain threads, you actually get a message that tells you the thread hasn't been active in over X-amount of days, and that you should only post if you're absolutely sure that what you're posting is actually relevant to the discussion, or otherwise, just leave it alone.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It almost sounds like we need to do some spring cleaning of some threads. Is there not a way that after a thread has been "inactive" for an un said certain amount of time that it would be closed and deleted? Then just before that happened the creater of the post would receive notification that it was about to be closed, and if they wanted to bump the thread they could. Or am I thinking to much?
Closing a thread after a specific time yes, having it deleted, no, because then your post count will go down by a lot and people aren't going to like that. A warning isn't going to deter spammers. Warning after warning, they keep doing it so they are clearly not listening and things need to be done with the members in question.

I am so sick of going to my watched threads list and see miles of 'ignored user.' You shouldn't even be seeing a notice an ignored user posted. It defeats the point of ignoring a user.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well instead of banning the said members, why not put them on a probation like situation. where there posts are monitored by a mod or senior member? Then if it continues go ahead and ban them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's still practiced or not, but in the old days, if a member was acting up, ignoring rules, brushing off warning from the staff, they would be suspended for 30 days.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's still practiced or not, but in the old days, if a member was acting up, ignoring rules, brushing off warning from the staff, they would be suspended for 30 days.
That sounds very reasonable, and I think would be better then banning them for a long period of time.
When I start a thread I try to stay active in that thread, and try to set the tone of the conversation. I think that people that create there own thread should have a little bit more control over what goes on in it, but then again that might cause more problems of members fighting against themselves.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never said we had to start banning people...I just said something had to be done :/

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Isn't the "I Think I'm Going Crazy" thread just meant for spam and random posting? So that it won't spread to other threads?