Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I haven't read this whole thread but let me get this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong here. You are all in favor of deleting threads or posts that you deem to be posting just for postings sake? Who gets to make that determination? What's the criteria that a thread or post is worthy?

For example, it was suggested a few posts earlier that the One Word Stories thread seemed to be just a way of padding somebody's post count and that maybe it should be shut down. Well, who gets to decide that? Maybe it seems like a silly thread to you but maybe people who are posting there enjoy it. There are certainly threads here that I roll my eyes at but then I just don't read them. I would never suggest they be shut down because I don't enjoy them. I just ignore the thread. Seems a bit arrogant or presumptuous to want to shut them down.

Another example, I posted earlier in this thread a reply that read "I agree" or something along those lines. It was in humor because of the title of the thread. But it was deleted by the powers that be because . . . why? They didn't think it was worthy? It didn't contribute to the thread? Can somebody explain why? But this post was allowed to stand:

Giant chicken? Hey, we got a giant chicken here!
You wear a disguise to look like human guys, but you're not a man, you're a chicken Boo.

Heh heh, that was during my ush-gush phase. *Hides plans for Calendar Girl fic that only Ru's previewed so far that I have to keep writing someday.

Thanks for clarifying the terms, glad that the ol' similitude trick still applies.

:news: We now return you to your regularly scheduled forums.
It doesn't contribute anything more to the thread than my post of "I agree". And it was allowed to stand.

Not looking to start on argument here. Just trying to understand why certain posts or threads are allowed and others are not? If they meet the criteria and rules of the forum then who are we to decide which ones are worthy or not? Muppet Central is a large community made up of a large demographic with varying interests. Why do we have to sensor posts because we think they are silly or not worthy?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If you ask me, posts made in the games section should not add to the post count. In almost every single forum I've been on, the games section never counts as posts.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
It's like I posted in the one word thread today, words like and, the , it before, and after don't tell a one word story. Now we have the ball rolling in the right direction in the thread again for the time being. I don't think the thread needed to be closed, it just needed some help.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The problem is when that's just about all a member posts: "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", "Me too". I mean it's one thing to post such a thing in a joking/humorous manner, but it's another to thing when that's all you post, simply to post something, and again, we've had one member actually admit that the reason they post like that is simply because they like seeing their name in recent forum activity.

It causes clutter, and who exactly wants to sift through thread after thread of a bunch of yeahs and okays? As we've said, if that's your only actual response to a post, clicking "Like" basically serves the same purpose.

This isn't something new, it's always been something of a minor issue around here, I seem to recall years ago we had a member who was suspended because he had fallen into the habit of only posting, "Yeah I agree" whenever someone else posted in certain threads. Again, here's what the real issue is: when that's almost all certain members post on the forum, and that's what we have a problem with right now, certain members only posting "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", "Me too", among other similar posts, and it's pretty clear that they are simply posting for posting sake.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The entire discussion is a part of the fact that people were getting tired of receiving alerts and emails that someone replied to a thread or quoted their post with a short message with no purpose. (LOL's are officially the worst.)

To avoid offense, no one made any comment to your post, but instead deleted it.
Our continuous discussion is how the "I Agree" posts are completely unnecessary to this forum since the "like" button exists here. You might be familiar with many other types of forums, that don't have the Like button installed yet.

As for the quoted message:
"Muffining" (going off-topic) was always allowed. It usually adds more fun to the forum and gets everyone involved. It's one of the great aspects of this forum.
I just don't know how to respond to a short mesage like "I Agree" or "LOL" or anything of that sort.

I guess that's all I have to say. :big_grin:

EDIT: Double Ziffle.

galagr

Reaction score
If you ask me, posts made in the games section should not add to the post count. In almost every single forum I've been on, the games section never counts as posts.

Well, I think that for certain threads in that section, it should count towards the post count. Hensonville City, The Weekly Survey, Game Suggestions Thread, etc.

Maybe we should set a word count on each post. Replies under, say, three words will have to be made longer. Or something along that line.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The problem is when that's just about all a member posts: "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", "Me too". I mean it's one thing to post such a thing in a joking/humorous manner, but it's another to thing when that's all you post, simply to post something, and again, we've had one member actually admit that the reason they post like that is simply because they like seeing their name in recent forum activity.

It causes clutter, and who exactly wants to sift through thread after thread of a bunch of yeahs and okays? As we've said, if that's your only actual response to a post, clicking "Like" basically serves the same purpose.

This isn't something new, it's always been something of a minor issue around here, I seem to recall years ago we had a member who was suspended because he had fallen into the habit of only posting, "Yeah I agree" whenever someone else posted in certain threads. Again, here's what the real issue is: when that's almost all certain members post on the forum, and that's what we have a problem with right now, certain members only posting "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", "Me too", among other similar posts, and it's pretty clear that they are simply posting for posting sake.
I have to disagree here. I visit MC's forums every day but rarely do I post in many of the topics. I'm a huge Muppet fan but no where near the knowlegdable fan that many here are. I feel intimidated and much less knowledgeable on many of the subjects. Many of you are much more articulate in stating an opinion. So if somebody agrees with a post that says what they feel, what's wrong with stating "I agree"? And who are we to determine that that person is only posting for posting sake? Maybe it's a younger person who can't put in to words his/her exact feelings but sees a post that sums it up? MC should be a welcoming community and it seems that by deleting posts/threads we want to make it less welcoming and more of a closed community to only those people who we feel meet our criteria.

P.S. And I know that it was suggested that instead of posting "I agree" or something similar that you can hit the Like button but this doesn't really convey or express ones feelings in the same way.

And why should posts in games threads not count in post counts? What is so important about the post count that it bothers anyone what any body else's post count is? Doesn't the post count really matter? Is somebody with 1500 posts more important than somebody with 30 posts? No, not really. So who cares?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have to disagree here. I visit MC's forums every day but rarely do I post in many of the topics. I'm a huge Muppet fan but no where near the knowlegdable fan that many here are. I feel intimidated and much less knowledgeable on many of the subjects. Many of you are much more articulate in stating an opinion. So if somebody agrees with a post that says what they feel, what's wrong with stating "I agree"? And who are we to determine that that person is only posting for posting sake? Maybe it's a younger person who can't put in to words his/her exact feelings but sees a post that sums it up? MC should be a welcoming community and it seems that by deleting posts/threads we want to make it less welcoming and more of a closed community to only those people who we feel meet our criteria.

P.S. And I know that it was suggested that instead of posting "I agree" or something similar that you can hit the Like button but this doesn't really convey or express ones feelings in the same way.

And why should posts in games threads not count in post counts? What is so important about the post count that it bothers anyone what any body else's post count is? Doesn't the post count really matter? Is somebody with 1500 posts more important than somebody with 30 posts? No, not really. So who cares?
Well if you would like to have some help with your knowledge, let me know and we can talk and I could maybe help you gain some confidence with your posts. I would be more then happy to help.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Well, I think that for certain threads in that section, it should count towards the post count. Hensonville City, The Weekly Survey, Game Suggestions Thread, etc.

Maybe we should set a word count on each post. Replies under, say, three words will have to be made longer. Or something along that line.
Once again, who gets to determine which game threads are worthy of post counts? It sure seems like a lot of people are trying to be exclusive. That's not what the Muppets are about.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The entire discussion is a part of the fact that people were getting tired of receiving alerts and emails that someone replied to a thread or quoted their post with a short message with no purpose. (LOL's are officially the worst.)
Can't those people turn off alerts to receive e-mails then? Why should we exclude certain posts?