Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Well if you would like to have some help with your knowledge, let me know and we can talk and I could maybe help you gain some confidence with your posts. I would be more then happy to help.
Thanks for the offer dwayne. But I'm also looking out for others who might feel intimidated. By deleting threads or posts we are sending the wrong message. Instead of welcoming posters into the community so they can become more knowledgeable we risk the danger of driving them away.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
And who are we to determine that that person is only posting for posting sake? Maybe it's a younger person who can't put in to words his/her exact feelings but sees a post that sums it up? MC should be a welcoming community and it seems that by deleting posts/threads we want to make it less welcoming and more of a closed community to only those people who we feel meet our criteria.

You're right. We can't expect new members to understand that. Most new members seem to mistake the forum for a chat room. We politely ask that short messages please not be posted. Most new members are understanding to these rules.

Now..for the ones that aren't...those posts must be deleted. They're annoying to read.

*Blows up :zany: to let off some steam.

"Ex-Cuuse us for living!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So if somebody agrees with a post that says what they feel, what's wrong with stating "I agree"? And who are we to determine that that person is only posting for posting sake?
Let me put it another way...

When you look at multiple different threads, and every other post is by the exact same member or two saying "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", and such over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, after a while, it gets kind of old and bothersome.

And again, when that's all a certain member posts (and I'm generalizing here, mind you), how do you figure that somehow does contribute to the forum? Think of it this way: suppose you're talking to someone in person, and you're trying to converse with them, but all that person has to respond to everything you or anyone else in the conversation is "Yeah". How do you figure that contributes to the conversation? Matter of fact, that's a BIG lesson I learned with my experiences with live television: when you're discussing something on camera, and someone asks you a question, you don't respond with "yes" or "no", that's dropping the ball that was handed to you, and that throws the other person off because it puts them on the spot.

galagr

Reaction score
Once again, who gets to determine which game threads are worthy of post counts? It sure seems like a lot of people are trying to be exclusive. That's not what the Muppets are about.

I was referring to the fact that, in the event that they DO start putting post counts on threads, certain ones should not, due to the fact that certain threads (mentioned above) involve putting in quite a bit of information.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
*Explodes at the post above... No, not the one immediately above mine.

We used to have a feature that actually wouldn't let you post a post if it was less than x amount of characters, dunno if it's still active.

As for the post I have an issue with... That post of mine that was quoted above was in reply to another previous post made by Slackbot in reply to another one of mine when I was helping explain a couple of other things. So it does serve a purpose. The post of "I agree" may have been made in fun, but it was followed by a bunch of others that though they were in jest, all they did was confuse the point that such like posts add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Wow Ed! calm down, it has been a long day on here with this conversation growing, and at the same time going no where all at the same time. In time things on the forum will work out, and I'm almost certain we will find something that works, for both the Mods and the members.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Can't those people turn off alerts to receive e-mails then? Why should we exclude certain posts?

That's what I do. I have the MC Alerts sent to a junk email, but most people have them to their reg. email and no one likes to be alerted for no reason. People want to contribute to the conversation. Short messages kill threads.

Why do I have the sudden urge of revisting the T*K*O threads?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
*Explodes at the post above... No, not the one immediately above mine.

We used to have a feature that actually wouldn't let you post a post if it was less than x amount of characters, dunno if it's still active.

As for the post I have an issue with... That post of mine that was quoted above was in reply to another previous post made by Slackbot in reply to another one of mine when I was helping explain a couple of other things. So it does serve a purpose. The post of "I agree" may have been made in fun, but it was followed by a bunch of others that though they were in jest, all they did was confuse the point that such like posts add absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Didn't mean to offend or single out your post. I used it as just one example and could have used many other posts from others as well. What I'm trying to understand is who gets to determine which posts are worthy or not? There's a lot of threads here that I think are silly or even annoying. But I respect the right of those to start those threads or post in them. Why should we exclude those?

There was a thread somewhere on MC started something about "Are members of such-and-such forum arrogant?" Well, by deleting threads and posts that we don't deem worthy aren't we becoming just as arrogant?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Look, I've been around MC for a long time. It has always been a very welcoming and friendly community. I've never seen a movement where certain posts should be allowed or not based on whether somebody felt they were annoying or worthy. Like I said, I'm not looking to start an argument or offend any one. I would just hate to see MC become a place where people felt the posters were arrogant or snobbish and not welcoming.

galagr

Reaction score

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
A little off-topic:

The forum feels like it's gotten a little different in the past while. Is it just me? Everyone is still great, but it's missing that wackiness and hilariousness that it was like when I joined, and was also missing before I even joined.

Where did it all go?