Can we do something about posting for posts sake?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
A little off-topic:

The forum feels like it's gotten a little different in the past while. Is it just me? Everyone is still great, but it's missing that wackiness and hilariousness that it was like when I joined, and was also missing before I even joined.

Where did it all go?
It IS missing that wackiness.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
A little off-topic:

The forum feels like it's gotten a little different in the past while. Is it just me? Everyone is still great, but it's missing that wackiness and hilariousness that it was like when I joined, and was also missing before I even joined.

Where did it all go?
It definitely seemed to be wackier during the Muppets' darker days (prior to the 'Renaissance', if you will). It could be that a lot of older members have left/rarely post these days. Or maybe we've all gotten too serious in the last few such-and-suchs? I sure miss the wackiness (which is why I tend to hang out in the Crazy thread; I try to stay away from the drama around here). Heck, the ToughPigs forum is wackier than MC these days.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Let me put it another way...

When you look at multiple different threads, and every other post is by the exact same member or two saying "I agree", "Yeah", "Okay", and such over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, after a while, it gets kind of old and bothersome.

And again, when that's all a certain member posts (and I'm generalizing here, mind you), how do you figure that somehow does contribute to the forum? Think of it this way: suppose you're talking to someone in person, and you're trying to converse with them, but all that person has to respond to everything you or anyone else in the conversation is "Yeah". How do you figure that contributes to the conversation? Matter of fact, that's a BIG lesson I learned with my experiences with live television: when you're discussing something on camera, and someone asks you a question, you don't respond with "yes" or "no", that's dropping the ball that was handed to you, and that throws the other person off because it puts them on the spot.
I can certainly see how it can get kind of old but you just have to sort through it. Whenever I visit the MC forums I always click on the What's New? button. There's always a bunch of threads that I have no interest in. But I simply ignore those and sift through them to get to the ones I am interested in. Would it be easier for me if those threads weren't there? Certainly, much easier. But why should I get to determine whose thread stays and who's gets deleted. Same thing with posts in threads. Sometimes you have to sort through the chaff to get to the wheat.

galagr

Reaction score
A little off-topic:

Where did it all go?

I've found that members (including myself) have gotten much more sarcastic as of late.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That happens over time.

Looking back, MC now isn't the same as it was, say, at the turn of the decade... and even then, it wasn't the same as it was back from like 2005 to maybe 2008. And THEN, it was the same as it was back from day one to 2005.

The major consensus with many of the old timers who aren't here anymore is that MC has gotten to "high school" in recent years, in that there's far too much drama among the forum that kind of ruins the fun atmosphere of it.

From my own experiences, I can say that MC did seem a lot more carefree, laid back, and relaxed, but I think that's mostly due to the more active members at that time (myself included) were mostly teenagers who not only had more freetime, but also had little to no responsibility... now that group has grown up, are out in the real world, have responsibility and such, so they're pretty much gone now. At the same time, however, there was a period of time, I'd say maybe from 2009 to 2011 or so, there was a lot of "high school" drama on MC: people whining about nobody liking them, people complaining they feel MC was a popularity contest they were losing, so on and so forth. That's kind of calmed down in the last couple of years, but now we have this... if it's not one thing, it's another, and it didn't used to be this way.

EDIT: Daaaaang! I just got ziffeled FIVE TIMES! :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The entire discussion is a part of the fact that people were getting tired of receiving alerts and emails that someone replied to a thread or quoted their post with a short message with no purpose. (LOL's are officially the worst.)

To avoid offense, no one made any comment to your post, but instead deleted it.
Our continuous discussion is how the "I Agree" posts are completely unnecessary to this forum since the "like" button exists here. You might be familiar with many other types of forums, that don't have the Like button installed yet.

As for the quoted message:
"Muffining" (going off-topic) was always allowed. It usually adds more fun to the forum and gets everyone involved. It's one of the great aspects of this forum.
I just don't know how to respond to a short mesage like "I Agree" or "LOL" or anything of that sort.
Too add to the discussion...

We seem to forget the biggest problem was drudging up 5-10 year old posts to add nothing to the conversation. Not even conversation. And to make matters worse, it was always the same member. One that was reported multiple times, no less and STILL managed to keep repeating the same behavior.

My personal favorite was his response to a thread asking if anyone had any behind the scenes stories for Follow that Bird. Wanna know what his reply was?

"i dont"

Now, imagine if you asked that question. You see a response, you're excited. Then you see nonsense. If you can't answer a question, you shouldn't answer it.

Then there was the member that obsessively posted the same threads with the same exact message about one specific Sesame Street skit... each within barely a week of each other. He got better, though.

Once again, all we're saying is we need to do something about drudging up old posts with nothing to add to the conversation, especially about long dormant projects. It's not about being "rude" or "arrogant," it's about having to take some sort of action on something we shouldn't have to take action against because it's basic internet etiquette. The action I've suggested was cleaning out old threads that haven't been posted on for X amount of years (a generous 5 year minimum). If you want to talk about a subject that's not visible on the first few forum pages, there's no problem starting a new conversation about the same topic (just not 3 or 4 times in a single week period).

Sure, in a silly thread a goofy one word response shouldn't be shunned. But when you see a thread started by a member who hasn't been active since 2005 brought back up for a "yay big bird" response, it really shouldn't be there. Then again, I suspect the guy is a troll. Or nuts. I still remember the well over a dozen posts he made on a single Carvel commercial. Almost creepy, obsessive stalkery stuff.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Too add to the discussion...

We seem to forget the biggest problem was drudging up 5-10 year old posts to add nothing to the conversation. Not even conversation. And to make matters worse, it was always the same member. One that was reported multiple times, no less and STILL managed to keep repeating the same behavior.

My personal favorite was his response to a thread asking if anyone had any behind the scenes stories for Follow that Bird. Wanna know what his reply was?

"i dont"

Now, imagine if you asked that question. You see a response, you're excited. Then you see nonsense. If you can't answer a question, you shouldn't answer it.

Then there was the member that obsessively posted the same threads with the same exact message about one specific Sesame Street skit... each within barely a week of each other. He got better, though.

Once again, all we're saying is we need to do something about drudging up old posts with nothing to add to the conversation, especially about long dormant projects. It's not about being "rude" or "arrogant," it's about having to take some sort of action on something we shouldn't have to take action against because it's basic internet etiquette. The action I've suggested was cleaning out old threads that haven't been posted on for X amount of years (a generous 5 year minimum). If you want to talk about a subject that's not visible on the first few forum pages, there's no problem starting a new conversation about the same topic (just not 3 or 4 times in a single week period).

Sure, in a silly thread a goofy one word response shouldn't be shunned. But when you see a thread started by a member who hasn't been active since 2005 brought back up for a "yay big bird" response, it really shouldn't be there. Then again, I suspect the guy is a troll. Or nuts. I still remember the well over a dozen posts he made on a single Carvel commercial. Almost creepy, obsessive stalkery stuff.
Well I can certainly be on-board with locking old threads. But MC is not unique to this problem. Perhaps though that instead of deleting posts or being offended by them we take the time to gently educate the poster. It may be basic internet etiquette to you or I but maybe it isn't to that poster. Maybe he's just inexperienced in forums.