Marvel prepares Muppet Omnibus

Loren

Reaction score
Marvel's new solicitations include the omnibus:

THE MUPPETS OMNIBUS HC
Written by ROGER LANGRIDGE
Penciled by ROGER LANGRIDGE, SHELLI PAROLINE & AMY MEBBERSON
Covers by ROGER LANGRIDGE & PHIL NOTO
It’s time to play the music, it’s time to light the lights! It’s time to turn the pages of this Omnibus tonight! The Muppets take Marvel in this zany collection of Roger Langridge’s award-winning, gag-filled adventures of Kermit and the gang. From Bunsen and Beaker to Piiiigs In Spaaaace, all your favorites are here in a volume as hilarious as it is compendious — one even Statler and Waldorf wouldn’t hate! It’s time to get things started with the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, muppetational book of all! Collecting THE MUPPET SHOW (2009) #1-4, THE MUPPET SHOW COMIC BOOK: THE TREASURE OF PEG-LEG WILSON #1-4, THE MUPPET SHOW COMIC BOOK #0-11 and THE MUPPETS (2012) #1-4.
1296 PGS./All Ages …$49.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8792-9
Trim size: oversized
THE MUPPETS OMNIBUS HC NOTO COVER (DM ONLY)
1296 PGS./All Ages …$49.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-8793-6​

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47860

As if to add to the confusion, the listing says the book is 1296 pages. Except the issues listed only add up to less than HALF that pagecount; it should be more like 600 pages. In all likelihood, that's just an error in the solicit; a full-color 1300-page omnibus would not possibly be retailing for just $50.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Hmm! This solicitation is for publications shipping in December. Looks like it was moved up a bit.

So, this prints all the core TMS comics, not the "Muppet Classics" comics? Cool. It'll be nice to have them all in one place, and at a decent size. Those small collections wreck my poor middle-aged eyes.

j3h

Reaction score
Here are the two cover choices:
Wide release cover by Langridge

Direct Market (ie comic shops) cover by Phil Noto

Slackbot

Reaction score
NOT feelin' that Direct Market cover. I'll buy from Amazon if that's what it takes to get the Langridge cover.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's a well painted cover, but it seems waaaay too reliant on poser photos for reference. The look of the cover is nice, but Roger's cover is far more creative and original.

So, this prints all the core TMS comics, not the "Muppet Classics" comics? Cool. It'll be nice to have them all in one place, and at a decent size. Those small collections wreck my poor middle-aged eyes.
I'd love to see the classics line collected as well. Even though the first and last stories are weaker than the core middle ones.

Slackbot

Reaction score
I can't think why they'd want to use that painted cover. It's not bad art (though not at all to my taste) but, shoot, it's a comic book filled with Langridge's art and writing! Why on earth would they not put Langridge's art on the cover?

Drtooth

Reaction score
For me, the artwork is nice, but pretty stiff. Langridge's original cover, while used before, shows the perfectly insane wackiness that the comic is all about.

Too bad they couldn't commission a new piece from Langridge. Or for that matter, Amy, Shelli, or James.