The Dark Crystal{Home vs. Theater viewing

skekKot

Reaction score
Those that have seen Jim Henson's masterpiece "THE DARK CRYSTAL"; at home {VHS,LaserDisc,DVD,Blue-Ray,Digital} have a better understanding how the creators intended the picture to look. Except, that the VHS was full screen(pan & scan). But, the color of the picture is true to this unique film .

The quality of the film's color as shown on the big screen; was'nt always true to the film.
Due to the fact, most theaters projected the film with too much luminance, heightening the colors and artificiality of the production. *this artificiality was added by a process used by cinematographer Oswald Morris. Adding a "color-wash"(Lightflex with color tint).

Jim Henson was actively involved in the compilation and transfer of the film onto LaserDisc {released in 1990} With his supervision the colors on the LaserDisc were precisely the colors which he and Frank Oz had originally intended.

skekKot

Reaction score
Those that have seen Jim Henson's masterpiece "THE DARK CRYSTAL"; at home {VHS,LaserDisc,DVD,Blue-Ray,Digital} have a better understanding how the creators intended the picture to look. Except, that the VHS was full screen(pan & scan). But, the color of the picture is true to this unique film .

The quality of the film's color as shown on the big screen; was'nt always true to the film.
Due to the fact, most theaters projected the film with too much luminance, heightening the colors and artificiality of the production. *this artificiality was added by a process used by cinematographer Oswald Morris. Adding a "color-wash"(Lightflex with color tint).

Jim Henson was actively involved in the compilation and transfer of the film onto LaserDisc {released in 1990} With his supervision the colors on the LaserDisc were precisely the colors which he and Frank Oz had originally intended.

I myself have never seen the film at a theater. But, just recently it has been shown a few times near my home; either 25 cents or for free. But, i'am kinda glad that I did'nt go see it; even though it's my favorite film. But after reading that the picture color is different caused by the adjustment of the projector's lighting and that I have also read that a theater recently played THE DARK CRYSTAL using a Blue-Ray disc. One theater-goer stated the picture-quality was pretty bad, you could
see pixelation on the screen! I have not seen a digital film onscreen and will not in the future.

Laszlo

Reaction score
I have seen all versions and the Blu-Ray is by far the best to date!