Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 44

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
OK, where do I begin? First of all, I can't express how grateful I am that I FINALLY got to watch the season premier on the actual air date for the first time since Season 39! (When it came to Seasons 40-43, I obviously had to wait for the reruns. I missed the premiers for 40-42 because I was in school, and the premier for 43, because my parents were having company for breakfast.)

Well, anyways, I enjoyed the street story (even though I already saw it on Sesame Street's website)! The highlights of course were the quick cameo by The Count (I wonder how many more clips Jerry recorded with him), and the part where Gordon helps Telly cope with his jealousy. I loved the Word of the Day segment; I had a real feeling that this was going to lead to Charlize getting her own pair of wings, but I didn't think that it was going to end with Elmo wanting his own pair of wings! The Cookie's Crumby Pictures was great; I can't wait (pun intended) for the other segments! Even though I already watched it during the weekend on YouTube and Sesame Street's Website, I am madly obsessed with the "I Need a Word" song by Dave Matthews and Grover (I especially love the harmony that Eric has Grover produce with Dave)! Elmo: The Musical was great as well! I couldn't help but noticing in one of the scenes, there was an owl that sort of resembled Hoots; even if it wasn't supposed to be him, I guess this is the closest we'll ever get (for right now) to having a regular Sesame Street character appear in these segments (someone in the other Season 44 thread pointed out that this would have been a great opportunity to have some kind of appearance by Big Bird in this particular segment, and I agree!).

Overall this was a good episode, and I can't wait for tomorrow's episode! As a side note, as long as "jealous" was the word of the day, I'd like to say that this is how I'm feeling, because, you all probably have HDTVs that show the complete picture, while I still have one of those 90's TVs that cuts part of the picture out! Lol

Another random comment/observation: In Elmo: The Musical, they did a parody of a song that was done on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. Can anyone guess what it was?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I loved today's street story. I loved the Best Friends Day song. David is an awesome singer. The WOTD bit was cute. CCP was great! It will be the best part of this season no doubt. The new Murray tune-in was good. Was the eggplant Matt? The I Need a Word song was very good. I didn't know Eric could sing like that. ETM was great. Though it would have been better if Mae was Mama Bird. All in all, good episode! I hope Oscarfan and D'Snowth get the file for this episode soon. They don't deserve to be out of the loop.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Might as well give a proper review.

These Telly and Baby bear episodes are always a favorite of mine. Somehow, I thought Ralphie was a little less developed since the last time he was seen on the show. And with a completely different Muppeteer to boot. That means, Sesame Street somehow managed to make a replacement goldfish out of a Muppet character. Having it a musical episode added a nice touch to it, with the songs not being too repetitive like they've had in the past. Nice to see The Count written in to it. Now's the sad part where we all pinpoint the last exact Count segment.

I thought they were getting rid of Abby's Flying School. Not that it's a bad segment, but it's no longer in production, and there's 10 more minutes of reruns per new episode. Maybe, like Elmo's World, they're waiting until the season after they run out of episodes to discontinue it.

Now, the real gem of this season (which will be over rerun, you can clearly tell) is Cookie's Crumby Pictures. I've seen too many James Bond parodies to even care to count. This segment managed to keep it pretty fresh. No "Shaken not stirred" or "Bond, James Bond" lines regurgitated. They managed to reference a couple Bond opening themes.... I swear I heard a Skyfall parody near the end of the segment. Can't wait to see the next one.

The Grover singing segment was adorable, and I'm not even a Dave Mathews fan. I also don't know if it's a parody or original.

And, thankfully they opened the season with a new ETM segment. And yes, they totally used a Muppet Show Penguin on that banner in the background of the last scene. We're all talking about Hoots being used in a speechless cameo, but what about that?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Marty's performance in today's episode was absolutely brilliant, beautiful even. He better get a Daytime Emmy nom. this year.

And Dave Matthews and Grover's song was great too. Joey Mazzarino mentioned in an interview that he wished to write a song as good as "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon"; if he wrote this one, he got very close. As much as I dig the funky songs they do now, slow, sweet and poignant songs like that show what separates Sesame from other kids shows. (I could also tell someone else was puppeteering Grover in the segment.)

cjd874

Reaction score
Marty's performance in today's episode was absolutely brilliant, beautiful even. He better get a Daytime Emmy nom. this year.
That's true. Marty Robinson has never received any Emmys for his work on SS, despite two nominations. This better be the year he gets one!

Also: there's going to be a Jerry Nelson tribute episode?! MUST WATCH!!! Hopefully there will be longtime favorites like the Count, Herry, Mumford, and Mr. Johnson, as well as older characters like Frazzle, Biff, Fred the Wonder Horse, and Sherlock Hemlock. I also wonder how they will be incorporated into the plot of the story.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Also: there's going to be a Jerry Nelson tribute episode?! MUST WATCH!!! Hopefully there will be longtime favorites like the Count, Herry, Mumford, and Mr. Johnson, as well as older characters like Frazzle, Biff, Fred the Wonder Horse, and Sherlock Hemlock. I also wonder how they will be incorporated into the plot of the story.
Yeah: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_4411

Only the Count and Herry have been confirmed to appear in it so far; hopefully others do too.