Member Stalking

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Are you kidding they come out after 2AM central time by the droves. I could sit here and count at least 7 in just one hour. I was highly frustrated.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Ed, not that its any of my business, but are you pming these 'nuisances' and explaining things? Because members cannot see why our posts were deleted, so if you are just filling out the little form giving an explanation, those are not visible us, even if we were the ones posting. It's like the posts just poofed without explanation.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I would like to know that as well, because sometimes I'm scared to post anything because it may get deleted.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have the sayso to implement a notification system for every single time a post or thread gets deleted. If you believe that this is something that should be added as a forum feature, then I'd recommend starting a thread so the forum administration learns about the interest in this development.

What I will say is that whenever a member replies to a post deemed as spam, those posts will get deleted as colateral along with the original spam messages. Regretably, that's how some members have gotten dragged down to the spammer's level.

And it really doesn't make any difference saying what it is a member has done wrong when they continue carrying out inappropriate actions even after having being warned not to do so multiple times with multiple warning point issuances.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Maybe we need to have a forums class. like a Muppet Central 101 the do's and don'ts of the forum. Then try to cover a lot of the questions and problems that have been happening on the forum as of late. I know we have a forums rules thread, but I wonder how often it's gets read by the new members? Because adding a feature like that would take a lot of time, and I know that the admit dept. is very busy.

Slackbot

Reaction score
The problem is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. There are people who simply won't pay attention to multiple warnings about their behavior and blithely sail on as if nothing's wrong because they haven't really been punished. Do you think they will bother with another thread to tell them how they should behave? They'll ignore it as they've ignored everything else.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The problem is that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. There are people who simply won't pay attention to multiple warnings about their behavior and blithely sail on as if nothing's wrong because they haven't really been punished. Do you think they will bother with another thread to tell them how they should behave? They'll ignore it as they've ignored everything else.
Well I don't know, I think that yes some people will not listen no matter what you do. I also think that some people may simply not realize that what they are doing is considered spam. Being warned, and being taught are two different things. No matter how politely written, a warning is very aggressive. Where as being taught is more subjective, and might take some pressure off of the Mods.
I think our younger aged members ranging from 13 to 25, want a lot of the same things some of our older members want for the forums. They just have to be guided in the right direction.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Well, luckily there are people who will comply to these warnings. From cases I've seen in other forums, the members were merely misguided and the situation was easily fixed when somebody actually broke it down into smaller pieces and explained rather than just threw guidelines in their faces. I've made that mistake before and learned from experience that it is best to read the rule book before diving into the deep end. Even now I'm making stupid mistakes because its tough to stay on top of it all.

Perhaps it is better to let people grow into the situation and then start taking control later on because eventually they will learn to fall into stride with the rest of the group. Quite frankly, the issue isn't as dramatic as it is being made to be.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I also think that warnings and deleting posts/threads could be a major turn off to a lot of newer members. Then people would say, "Good if they can't follow the rules we don't want them here anyway", but is that really the attitude we should have for newer members?