The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The real reason, from what I understand, that it was not included on Mega collection, as it was included on Gems (I think?) was because of emulation issues. You gotta remember, these games were programmed to run on an entirely different system. When porting, its not just a simple copy and paste job. There's more technical stuff that goes on to get it to run smoothly on a system it was never programmed to run.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Judging by that picture, could we possibly be getting redesigns for the show?
Now that I gave it another look, it does indeed look like Sonic and Knuckles are getting redesigns. Kinda strange that Knuckles is much taller, but I'm too excited about this to care until I see the final designs. I just hope it has as many STH characters as possible. Maybe have Cubot and Orbot as Robotnik's usual idiotic duo?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The real reason, from what I understand, that it was not included on Mega collection, as it was included on Gems (I think?) was because of emulation issues. You gotta remember, these games were programmed to run on an entirely different system. When porting, its not just a simple copy and paste job. There's more technical stuff that goes on to get it to run smoothly on a system it was never programmed to run.

I would have thought it'd be easier to emulate Sega CD games onto disc-based systems, since Sega CD games were on discs. They were able to put several Genesis and Game Gear games on various compilations, and Sonic Gems included a Saturn game. And I've been informed that a number of other Sega CD games have been rereleased onto other more recent releases.

I wonder if emulation issues or lost coding is the reason Knuckles Chaotix was left out of Mega Collection and Gems. Almost every other Sonic and Sonic-related game from the pre-Dreamcast era was included as well. And I've read that Knuckles Chaotix is one of the best Sega 32X games (and these Sonic collections do include some of the worst, lesser games from the "classic Sonic" era, like Sonic Labyrinth).

mr3urious

Reaction score
Sega Saturn games, on the other hand, are even harder to port due to having three CPUs and using four-sided polygons rather than three as was the standard at the time (and still is). I think the beloved NiGHTS Into Dreams was recoded from scratch when ported onto the PS3 and 360, as was Sonic CD.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I wonder what those fans are thinking 'bout the new show...

Like Drtooth, I really hope for Cubot and Orbot, even though I like Scratch and Grounder better (it's better for more modern characters to be Eggman/Robotnik's sidekicks).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I found the TV Tropes thing that mentioned the Sonic CD coding lost, in the "edit history" page for Keep Circulating the Tapes, which for some reason was removed from the page (along with info on the few Sonic games that haven't been rereleased on later systems). And I saw that it did mention difficulties in emulating the system in addition to the coding being lost.

Not to bring this thread off-topic, but I know of an unreleased Sega CD game that has recently been released for the iPhone. There were plans for a Penn and Teller game, which would have been a series of mini-games, including one that was a bus drive that took 8 hours to complete, with no stops, no picking up customers, and nothing to keep it interesting. Just 8 hours of driving a bus, and the pause button wouldn't even be able to work in this game (I wonder how they could pull off the lack of a pause). I don't know if the whole game is downloadable or just the bus driving portion. Can't remember the name, but I wonder if they recoded that.

I also wonder if emulating software for rereleases on other systems is what has kept Virtual Boy games from being downloadable on the 3DS. Yeah, the Virtual Boy was a failed system, but at least according to The Angry Video Game Nerd most of the games weren't that bad, they just missed the point of virtual reality (and lack of sales for the system prevented the games from selling).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Virtual boy I'm going to hazard a guess that one, the games are extremely hard to look at and two, didn't sell well so they probably arent worth it to port. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find an emulator though.

I will tell you, from my experience, sega CD games run pretty poorly on PC emulators. I don't know if its just the ISO I have but Sonic CD crashes on me a lot.

I rarely have problems with atari, genesis, or nes games. I just wish I could find a more straightforward atari emulator but thats a topic for another day

But I still have never heard about the coding being lost for Sonic CD. I bet it was one of those misunderstanding type things. That's probably why it was removed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like Drtooth, I really hope for Cubot and Orbot, even though I like Scratch and Grounder better (it's better for more modern characters to be Eggman/Robotnik's sidekicks).
I wonder how many original characters over video game created characters they're planning on using. Scratch and Grounder were far from original, as they were sort of in STH2. Only Grounder was red and Scratch wasn't even called Scratch.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
They're more than likely going to have a character exclusive to the show, 'cuz the three previous shows (plus the OVA) had a bunch of show exclusive characters. Though those characters tend to get the fanbase all twisted up.