One thing that annoyed me in "The Muppets"

Bridget

Reaction score
The one thing that annoyed me in The Muppets were ALL OF THOSE FOURTH-WALL JOKES! There were way too many! Oh blah blah blah this is a movie so we need to tell the audience it's a movie even though they already now it's a movie--ENOUGH OF THE DANG FOURTH-WALL REFERENCES!

Sorry about that.
You are absolutely right. I got very annoyed of all of those jokes! "This is going to be a long movie..." and on and on. If you keep reminding me, I'll loose my imagination.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think breaking the fourth wall just has to be done well. I think the Muppet Movie, the whole idea of it being a movie within a movie was done well. There was also the part of the band having the screenplay which also worked really well.

In the Great Muppet Caper I can only think of a few times that they broke the fourth wall, but there again it was done well. I don't think they broke the fourth wall, in The Muppets Take Manhattan, but I could be wrong.

Sprocket77

Reaction score
Not more than the Muppet Movie or The Great Muppet Caper. There wasn't too many in this one. It's what they do best.

Did you see any Muppet movie..like, ever? They all break the fourth wall. I agree, after a while it can be annoying in a way, that's why Muppets Take Manhattan is a nice break.
I have seen the Muppet Movie but not Great Mupp...you know what, I'm done. I'm not going to argue with you right now.

FraggleLover130

Reaction score
I'm sure we'd all be far more annoyed if that terrible movie was referenced. Luckily, Disney pretends that Gnome thing doesn't exist for the most part.

But I'm far more annoyed by the Disney Pop star that the studio just about had to force into the film. Luckily, they wrote a backhanded line for her "My Agent told me I should be here." OUCH!

But quite honestly? Disney ain't got NOTHING on NBC/Universal. Go ahead... watch ANY Universal produced movie recently. They have NOTHING but cross promotions with NBC in their films. Get Him To The Greek, a brilliantly funny movie, has them appearing on The Today Show, a record producer who's favorite show is "Biggest Loser," among other things... not to mention even Despicable Me isn't even safe... filled with voice actors who are employees of NBC sitcoms... and the fact that Gru even stole the Jumbotron from Time Square that visibly has an NBC logo on it. i think that's the only reason he stole it. At this point, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a deleted sequence in The Lorax where they tell the Onceler of all the things he needs to appreciate "Like Whitney at 8:00 and the Chelsea Handler show at 8:30 on Wednesdays!"

One Cars 2 billboard is nothing.
Actually, I thought Selena Gomez was fine in that. I like Disney, but they sure do get under my skin sometimes. I don't mind too much, though. Yeah, product placement is annoying, but overall Disney's pretty cool. Besides, Cars II? That's such a lame idea, I don't know why they're even bothering.:smirk: Anyway, I love Disney, but I agree that they shouldn't be messing with the muppets. :cluck:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think they broke the fourth wall, in The Muppets Take Manhattan, but I could be wrong.
I don't think they did, MTM was more a straight forward film, rather than the "film within a film" joke.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't think they did, MTM was more a straight forward film, rather than the "film within a film" joke.
That is very true and I like that about that movie. it shows that they don't have to break the fourth wall to do a movie, or TV show.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is very true and I like that about that movie. it shows that they don't have to break the fourth wall to do a movie, or TV show.
Yeah and I think it works since we're really supposed to get wrapped up in the emotions of the characters.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yeah and I think it works since we're really supposed to get wrapped up in the emotions of the characters.
Yes and MTM was and still is one of the more emotional character driven movies they have made.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've said it before, but I've recently realized one of the reasons why I RULLY enjoy FTB, possibly moreso than most other Muppet movies, is that there's hardly any fourth-wall breaking, with the exception of Oscar's Grouch Anthem, and Count reading the credits.

The Muppets are known for not just breaking, but DESTROYING the fourth wall, but that's part of their humor, and it DOES work well, especially if you keep in mind Jim's idea that the characters aren't so much characters, but actors who just happen to be puppets, so when they break the fourth wall, and they do quite often, they do so in really clever ways that don't really talk down the audience or insult their intelligence, it really adds to fun and mayhem that the Muppets are all about.

However, for those rare occasions where a Muppet production contains very little to no fourth wall-breaking whatsoever like FTB, or the aforementioned MTM, it's a nice change and a nice treat, and like previously mention, it does allow you to invest more in the story itself as well as the emotion of what the characters are going through, so yeah. Fourth wall-breaking is almost a given in any Muppet production, but it is a nice change of pace when they forgo breaking the fourth wall on occasion.