Christmas: Are they shoving it down our throats too early?

Drtooth

Reaction score
See I said that to my parents and they told me they remembered the song becoming famous when a woman sang it to a man, which has a different meaning. Might be a double standard but there you go, lol.
There's a TV Tropes link for that
... doesn't mention that song, though.

Even if it isn't about that, it's still about someone advancing on someone in very stalkerish ways. If it's supposed to be romantic, it sure as heck doesn't feel like it to me. And it isn't even a Christmas song.

Come to think of it, neither is Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells, Frosty the Snowman, or Sleigh Ride. And I swear that "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" barely qualifies since they only mention Christmas once in the song. And ghost stories. Very Christmasy, those ghost stories. Well aware of A Christmas Carol, but I doubt that's what they're going for.

I also have to admit, it's not the song personally, but I just get very tired of "The Christmas Song" because everyone covered it. And you're bound to hear all the different versions no matter where you go (except, of course, the BEST version... Big Bird and the Swedish Chef). It's not a bad song by any means, but the sheer number of covers that you have to hear kinda ruin it.

And again, NO ONE ever plays the Snoopy Vs The Red Baron Christmas song.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You haven't heard overplayed classic Christmas songs until you've heard Bad Religion's versions :B
Although the fact American Jesus is also remixed slightly on this album kinda makes me wonder if it was an elaborate FU to something XP

YES! THIS! It's possibly one of the few Christmas songs that I actually like and it irritates me to no end that no one plays it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, it's not Christmas until Darkwing Duck gets run over by Bushroot (twice) and sings "All I want for Christmas, are my tuh-ooo front tuh-eeth....."

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I found out that Ronnie James Dio recorded "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". Possibly the best Christmas song I have ever heard… :insatiable:

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Well, guess what? I saw Christmas decorations already at one house as I walking by. Arghhhhhh! :frown: What is wrong with people, society, and the community? Why can't they learn how to wait til next month? :sigh:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, those aren't the easiest things in the world to put up. Actually early Christmas decorations do make sense. First off, November weather isn't that great, but hard from the unpredictability of December. It's the ideal time to be able to hang those things up. And of course you go to the effort to put all that junk up, you'd want to have those things up as long as possible. It's only having the Christmas decorations up for months later that gets to me. I don't know too many people who do that, though.

I know houses that decorate for every major holiday, actually.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The first time I ever heard that song was on Pandora. I think I'd done a search for '60s songs. I really enjoyed it. But yeah for some reason it's kinda obsure now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I heard it when I was young on the way home from a relative's house on Christmas Eve. I personally can't tell if it's just a deep seated nostalgic thing or the fact that I do really like the song on its own (it's an awesome and underrated song), but all I know is that it's one of the only songs that really gets me in the Christmas mood. I'm also very partial to the Cheech and Chong Christmas story. I know radio stations (which have now changed to the same top 40 crap that every station plays) that played Christmas music and would, very rarely, actually play that Snoopy song. And always when I least suspect it after suffering through all those "The Christmas Song" covers, and a bunch of others.

Funny thing is, I can't stress enough that these were Boston radio stations. One in particular got so many requests for Dominique the Christmas Donkey (for those who don't know, we have a huge Italian population in Boston) that they actually had to resort to playing it once a day at the same time every time and announcing that they were playing it at that exact time of day. No matter how much I listened to that station, they only played Snoopy like once a year.