The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Love it too, except for the fact that they had all the nerve to Flanderize Piggy's yet again! Jim Lewis, Kirk Thatcher and Eric Jacobson should once again be ashamed of themselves for not writing her character properly! :grouchy:
Compared to most appearances, it doesn't seem any worse than something done in early Muppet Show episodes. I agree that they go for that overly caricatured version of the Piggy/Kermit relationship (which is why I'll defend to the death how it was handled in The Muppets), but this seems to be one of the few times it could actually work.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
I wondered how long it would be before you came in here shouting the "F" word. You know, she did the occasional karate chop during the Muppet Show. There isn't a whole lot of context here, and we have no idea how she acts in the rest of the special. It is certainly not inconsistent with her original characterization to throw a karate chop, so the mere presence of one is not evidence of Flanderization. And it certainly isn't enough to call down shame upon the Muppet writers and performers.

Is a Miss Piggy karate chop predictable? Yes. But not as predictable as a post afterward complaining about the "Flanderization" of Miss Piggy. The word is used so frequently and so routinely, it's beginning to get Flanderized.
I'm sorry for losing it again.

You're right about not knowing the context of the whole thing. I just feel a tad jaded on that front, since they've been mishandling her and other characters much too long and I still worry that this could end up being another case of her running around yelling and hitting everyone as many of her post-2000 appearances depicted her as.

And when Piggy did karate on TMS, there was usually a slow, gradual build-up to it. And, like the folks at ToughPigs, I'm sick and tired of the one-dimensional Piggy who goes "What did you say? HI-YA!" and runs around karate-chopping everyone, no matter how contrived the reason. (I'm especially still bitter over her major out-of-character moment in the Good Luck Charlie appearance, which further gives me every right to be concerned.)

Again, sorry, but I just loathe and despise it when Piggy tells ALL women to not approach the frog, which is not right and comes off as being mean-spririted and more of Piggy treating her Kermie as a whipping boy instead of the love of her life.

With all due respect to Lewis, Thatcher and Jacobson, I apologize for my outburst. I just want the best for our beloved characters as much as everyone else does. And please try to understand my concerns, okay?

As one who does prefer to reserve judgement until seeing the thing, I'll grit my teeth now and wait until after seeing it to form an opinion. Hopefully, it was just a mere out-of-context clip and that everything will turn out alright in the end and that Piggy will actually learn her lesson a la The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Compared to most appearances, it doesn't seem any worse than something done in early Muppet Show episodes. I agree that they go for that overly caricatured version of the Piggy/Kermit relationship (which is why I'll defend to the death how it was handled in The Muppets), but this seems to be one of the few times it could actually work.
Like you, I prefer that the relationship not be caricatured, than you very much. We've seen too much of that version of the relationship for much too long and it's already gotten well beyond annoying and pathetic.

I know what I just said in my message above, so I'll go back to gritting my teeth now.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I think I saw Mo Frackle (not the member, but the Muppet monster) during the promo! :smile:
If you go to the 0:27 mark, you can see his body on top of the screen.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I'm getting more excited about this as we get closer to the show. Lady Gaga is pulling all kinds of goofy faces in these promos - it's as if she's letting her inner Muppet come out to play.

It's definitely not going to be a John Denver type of special but I can see this being a lot of fun and a great showcase for The Muppets as we head into the final mad dash towards March and MMW!

Status
Not open for further replies.