Video: Watch Gordon Ramsay Compete with The Swedish Chef

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Not to veer away from the topic, but I don't really understand why there's so much hate for the fart shoes joke. Do people just not realize that it's supposed to be a tacky and terrible attempt at humor? Are people offended just because Fozzie uttered the word "fart"? I don't get it.

The Muppets' shoe gag in itself was perfectly fine and in keeping with Muppet tradition, but Muppets don't say words like "fart" etc. It's crass and lazy writing that panders to the lowest common denominator. Many fans died a little inside when they heard Fozzie say that. I wasn't happy with Miss Piggy saying she had to "pee" in Muppets From Space either. The Muppets have never been about using toilet slang words to make people laugh. That's not to say that they're pasteurized and politically correct like some fans view them. They've always been smart and sly about things. That's why I believe this recent clip is okay. Animal's line is funny because all he says is "sorry!".

Here's a quick breakdown of what I mean:

Miss Piggy getting cheeky with Rudolph Nureyev while wearing towels in a sauna is an example of a smart humorous situation. If she'd said "I want to jump you!" it would have been over-the-line.

Crazy Harry bombing things in a cartoon fashion is Muppety. Having him utter some sort of terrorist war cry would be offensive.

Gonzo being smitten by Big Bird for a moment on the Muppet show is humor at its best. Belaboring the point or delving into the age discrepancy there would be horrible.

Gonzo explaining to Pepe that the rivets he was poking at on his Tin Man chest in Muppets Wizard of Oz are nipples is as close to the edge as the Muppets should get in that area. Some fans had issues with it, but I claim those people must have dreadful body issues because nipples are harmless and there's nothing overtly sexual about them. However, it was edgier than the Muppets usually go and I can understand why some people were touchy about it.

Fozzie Bear saying, "Check out my whoopi shoes!" and then dancing around would have been hysterically funny. Fozzie saying the word "fart" will never be funny. Ever. At least not to me. Leave that for the Alvin & the Chipmunks movies.

However, Jim Henson had Rowlf say the word "b***h" once in a humorous context while on the Arsenio Hall Show. I thought it was unexpected and funny and heck, it was Jim Henson. He's allowed and I'm okay with that. It's a rare exception.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Gonzo explaining to Pepe that the rivets he was poking at on his Tin Man chest in Muppets Wizard of Oz are nipples is as close to the edge as the Muppets should get in that area. Some fans had issues with it, but I claim those people must have dreadful body issues because nipples are harmless and there's nothing overtly sexual about them. However, it was edgier than the Muppets usually go and I can understand why some people were touchy about it.
My issue wasn't so much the nipples. It was an aside goof Dave and Bill were having fun with. My issue is, this was left in the film and cut in such a way the joke came off disturbing, rather than funny. And not because of the Nipples, but Pepe's extremely disturbed reaction. Somehow, if he just went "Ew" or showed a silent sign of disgust it would have worked. Took me a while to realize it, but the fact it comes off as such a horrible thing for Pepe, makes it a horrible thing.

As for the fart jokes... much as it sucks that Fozzie said that, it works in the context that Fozzie would have tried something completely unfunny to be funny. Just, by the time he said that, cheap toilet humor was overused and cringe inducing in kid's films (though I liked the fart gun in the Despicable Me movies). I blame those fifth party CGI studios.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I thought this was so great! I was absolutely dying when Gordon was getting ****** off at Sweetums when they were cooking, that was absolutely hysterical.

And I was extremely impressed with Pops in this. It was cool that he was even there, but the fact that he was also performed so well!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
My issue wasn't so much the nipples. It was an aside goof Dave and Bill were having fun with. My issue is, this was left in the film and cut in such a way the joke came off disturbing, rather than funny. And not because of the Nipples, but Pepe's extremely disturbed reaction. Somehow, if he just went "Ew" or showed a silent sign of disgust it would have worked. Took me a while to realize it, but the fact it comes off as such a horrible thing for Pepe, makes it a horrible thing.

As for the fart jokes... much as it sucks that Fozzie said that, it works in the context that Fozzie would have tried something completely unfunny to be funny. Just, by the time he said that, cheap toilet humor was overused and cringe inducing in kid's films (though I liked the fart gun in the Despicable Me movies). I blame those fifth party CGI studios.

It's just the word that I object to. The rest of the gag works. But about the MWoO line. There's nothing wrong with it in any way shape or form. The only overreaction that was disturbing was from fans who obviously have body issues about nipples. Hey, they're nipples. We all have them! Lol!

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
This needs to be a tv show

The Muppets have ALWAYS made fart and poop jokes. Check Muppet Wiki http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Fart_jokes

jvcarroll

Reaction score
This needs to be a tv show

The Muppets have ALWAYS made fart and poop jokes. Check Muppet Wiki http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Fart_jokes

I agree, but they've never used the word "fart" until the Segel and Stoller screenplay. That was lazy, cheap and uninspired. The shoes created the humor without need for that particular descriptive word.

Smart writers know how to use imply something rude without having to employ crude language to do so. If we're going to allow the Muppets to say fart, then why stop there? There are plenty of other four-letter words they could use.

Don't get me wrong. Crude words have a place in humor. I love Richard Pryor comedy. I just place the Muppets closer to the Bill Cosby end of the spectrum.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Saw the Gaga one (finally), and ... well, if Ru doesn't get Piggy for the Drag Race, I'm still gonna be upset, but I'll take what I can get. Anyway, thought this was absolutely HILARIOUS. Even if we never get a Muppet Show, I think "Muppisodes" are a great thing to do, especially since it kinda goes back to the few-minute-long clips from, say, Sam and Friends.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, what Gaga video? Do you mean the Thanksgiving special?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, that one. Like I said, I am VERY far behind .... *sigh*

The good news is, all that studying was worth it. I am now a Certified Rehab Registered Nurse. :big_grin: