Your Thoughts: "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" on Blu-ray

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you receive your "Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" Blu-ray, post here and let us know your thoughts...

The restored version of the Muppets second feature film, "The Great Muppet Caper" and fifth feature "Muppet Treasure Island" is coming to Blu-ray on Tuesday December 10, 2013. Find out all the official details here on this anticipated Blu-ray release.

Since most of us will be getting the restored version of these movies, if you order "The Great Muppet Caper"/"Muppet Treasure Island" Blu-ray combo from Amazon using these links, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help make future upgrades possible. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the Blu-ray. Thank you for supporting MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

PLEASE NOTE: Muppet Central's official review will be on-line shortly. This post will be updated when the review is on-line.

If you have seen "The Great Muppet Caper" and "Muppet Treasure Island" Blu-ray or DVD, please like this post.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Oh man! I love this blu-ray, and yet I have my problems with it as well.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I want to say that I found two slightly noticeable mistakes with this release. I'm not going to say what they are until the review is posted, but they do hurt the quality of the blu ray in my option.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Haven't actually had a chance to watch either of them yet, but I do want to say that for whatever reason, I like the cover better in person than seeing the pictures online lol. It's still not-that-great though (and looking at The Muppet Movie and Muppet Christmas Carol, those covers sucked too... what is it with Disney and the covers for the older Muppet movies on Blu-ray? lol).

And the only problem I have with this release is... where to put it on my shelf with the other Muppet movies. I keep them in release date order, so the question is whether I put between The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan, or Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppets From Space lol. It seems to be more geared as a "Treasure Island" release, so for now it's going after Christmas Carol.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
My local Wal-Mart didn't have any sadly :/ ill probably order off amazon

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Haven't actually had a chance to watch either of them yet, but I do want to say that for whatever reason, I like the cover better in person than seeing the pictures online lol. It's still not-that-great though (and looking at The Muppet Movie and Muppet Christmas Carol, those covers sucked too... what is it with Disney and the covers for the older Muppet movies on Blu-ray? lol).

And the only problem I have with this release is... where to put it on my shelf with the other Muppet movies. I keep them in release date order, so the question is whether I put between The Muppet Movie and Muppets Take Manhattan, or Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppets From Space lol. It seems to be more geared as a "Treasure Island" release, so for now it's going after Christmas Carol.
The neat thing about this release is that it comes with three disks. The blu ray and a DVD for both movies. So what you could do is get an empty DVD case and make it for ether Caper or Treasure Island. It's not a perfect way to put them in order but it works. I would also agree with you this is more a Treasure Island release then a Caper release. Treasure Island has more special features, and is also the first on the select movie menu as well. Hope that helps.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
My local Wal-Mart didn't have any sadly :/ ill probably order off amazon
Sorry for double posting yet again!
I knew I was going to get on Tuesday. so on Monday I went to the local Wal-Mart, and made sure it would be there, and I would have enough money to get it. That next morning when I came to buy it I found that Disney could not have released this at a more worst possible time.
They have this going up against Despicable Me 2 and The blu ray release of Mary Poppins. It's like they knew it would not sell, but didn't even give it a fighting chance . I would think that if Disney was going to put forth the effort of putting both movies out on blu ray that they would want to get as many sells as possible, but that dose not seem to be the case.
It seems that this was marketed towards the older Muppet fans who grew up with the Muppets. If that where the case though, the marketing, and the product it 'self should have been done a lot differently.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across this in my local Big W. Even better was the fact that I saw about 4 people carrying a copy. :smile: Top it off, the cashier made a comment on how she had several more people made a purchase since its release. If the combo is doing decently well in a backwater town like mine, then surely it's not such a lost cause.

Also, watched The Great Muppet Caper for the 7th time in three days and I still have no idea where it stands on my scale of 'Worst to Best Muppet Movies'. It would be my all-time favourite if it weren't for it being almost Piggy-centric. I find it really difficult to tolerate her as it is. Kermit (as usual) is amazing and I giggle with delight every time I see Jim Henson. Nicky Holiday reminds me of my uncle after one too many cocktails.

As far as special features go, I really didn't expect much for TGMC considering they merely lucked out on having a Jim Henson interview on the MTM Blu-ray. And for MTI, it's always a delight to see or hear Brian Henson and I quite enjoyed the commentary. Seeing Steve and Dave was also fun and it didn't take much to see their great chemistry.

I still think it was a stupid idea to put the two films together, but at least the older projects are still being recognised.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone is noticing anything odd about the commentary,
Yes, I noticed it too! Whenever Gonzo and Rizzo piped up, it was like they were asking you to pause the film so that a behind-the-scenes clip would play or something. Then they would say stuff like,"We're back!!!!" or, "Meanwhile, on Muppet Treasure Island...." to return to the film.

That was weird, but oddly amusing...