Phil Robertson "Fired"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sadly, TV Land gave Kirstie Alley (who has a reputation of being nasty and arrogant herself) her own sitcom, of which, Michael Richards is a regular on, though from what I've seen of the previews, his character doesn't seem too awful different from Kramer (but then again, when they tried giving him his own show after the demise of SEINFELD, it was basically, "The Kramer Is Now a Detective Show").

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes, it is everyone's right to be offended. I won't disagree with that. I just disagree with a witch hunt mentality, particularly when it's propelled by the media. And particularly when there are real problems in the world beyond who's hot and who's not in Celebrity La La Land, lol.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yes, it is everyone's right to be offended. I won't disagree with that. I just disagree with a witch hunt mentality, particularly when it's propelled by the media. And particularly when there are real problems in the world beyond who's hot and who's not in Celebrity La La Land, lol.

GQ clearly went after Mr. Robertson and he took the bait.

**Always be careful what you say and how you say it no matter where you are.**

If we all behave with kindness, then there really is no witch to hunt.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Not to mention, people are still getting married at young ages these days, it just doesn't seem as common as back then, and there are fewer elopings, and more traditional weddings - a majority of the people I knew and grew up with are married now, and they're either my age (24) or younger.

My only concern is the signs of the times... I look back on my parents' time, and how couples were able to raise good-sized families, live in really nice homes, have all the commodoties and amenities they wanted or needed, and all with just the husband working a typical 9 to 5 job... but fast-foward to today, you have both the husband and the wife working, sometimes multiple jobs (and sometimes in the same day), and they just barely managed to scrape by in their tiny, rundown apartments (and again, that's with both of them working).
I don't necessarily recommend people getting married or having kids so young, before they're financially and/or emotionally ready to make such a commitment. (Accent on the word COMMITMENT). It's not fair to bring a child into the world and not have the commitment of both parents to raise the kid. It's all too easy for some fathers to have multiple kids with multiple partners but not being there for them. (Typical on certain court shows, showing the mother and someone who's not her husband, but "my kid's father"). Too many young people having kids or getting married but not being ready to deal with the consequences, that bothers me. I understand there might be extenuating circumstances, but marriage is not a whim.

I'll even go as far as to support gay marriage, provided the partners are doing so out of a strong commitment, not out of convenience.

I still believe in how strong the bonds form through marriage. It's a shame about half of them end in divorce within five years. And how so few celebrity marriages last past the novelty stage. But as long as you both have the commitment part down, I'll be in your corner.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll agree to that. Still, I think that it's unfair when some celebrity careers get destroyed and others don't for doing the exact same thing and worse,just writing off politicians and pundits who say the same, if not worse things.

GQ also has itself to blame. They're just as guilty of bating Phil to sell more magazines as Phil is for trolling for a controversy to keep his show "fresh." But I've seen other celebrities have their careers virtually destroyed for years for what he said. His "punishment" (whether he deserved it or not) was little more than an in name only slap on the wrist. He knew the show's supporters would whine until they got their show back. What he said was idiotic, but dang if that isn't genre savvy.

I don't necessarily recommend people getting married or having kids so young, before they're financially and/or emotionally ready to make such a commitment. (Accent on the word COMMITMENT). It's not fair to bring a child into the world and not have the commitment of both parents to raise the kid. It's all too easy for some fathers to have multiple kids with multiple partners but not being there for them. (Typical on certain court shows, showing the mother and someone who's not her husband, but "my kid's father"). Too many young people having kids or getting married but not being ready to deal with the consequences, that bothers me. I understand there might be extenuating circumstances, but marriage is not a whim.
That's what bugs me about marriage. The whole pressure of having to be married, like it's every human's duty to get paired up as it's the big happy ending that we all have to strive for... that pretty much invites divorce and discontent. People marrying for the wrong reasons, marriages of convenience...forcing yourself into a loveless relationship to get to the goal line. Marriage is a tricky thing, and even the most solid of ones can break. Every married couple of a certain age I know has been broken up by divorce. One was a particularly vicious example of a very abusive husband. My parents almost split when I was younger, and my little sister's birth saved their marriage.

I'm sure Phil has a strong enough family bond that nothing can go wrong... but being able to marry an underage girl? That's just wrong. Even if it's a 4 year difference.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, who am I to judge, but I will admit, I always did kind of feel that 20s was too young for marriage anyway... I guess it's mainly because growing up, it seemed like the youngest newlyweds were were in their early 30s or so... or, people didn't seem to get married until they were well into adulthood: I know the legal age of adulthood is 18, however, science and medicine also tell us that our brains and minds aren't fully developed and matured until we're 25, and even then, some people still don't seem completely grown-up by then... I know some people who are even older than I am and seem to have trouble acting their ages (like I should talk though).

But like I said, it's not really my page to judge... yes, I can agree that it takes commitment from both sides to really make a marriage, or even a relationship work, even if that's at a young age (I mean, I can say that I knew in my heart whom I truly loved when I was 20), but also, like you say, it also helps if both parties are emotional and financially capable of supporting themselves before they progress themselves or anything, and again, like I said, I see so many young couples - both married or just simply living together - practically living in squallar and just barely scraping by, despite both of them working multiple jobs.

EDIT: Ziffeled big time by Drtooth; I was responding to fuzzygobo.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I didn't get married until I was 32, but I believe waiting, making sure my wife and I had a few things ironed out first, gave our marriage a better chance at surviving.
We've been married 13 years now, not without a few challenges, but I feel we beat the odds. If we didn't go into marriage with a strong sense of commitment, it would've been over after the first argument.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the main problem with some people today, as I've said before, is that they simply just want the easy way out to avoid hassle. Marriage requires even more than just commitment, it also requires the wedding itself: getting a license, getting rings, booking somewhere to have the wedding, booking somewhere to have the honeymoon, all that good stuff, so a lot of people today just adopt this mindset of, "We don't need a piece of paper and rings to prove we love each other", since all they clearly want to do is just get in bed with each other anyway... this is also why, unfortunately, some states have adopted what they call, "Common Law Marriage", where if couples, or, "Domestic partners" have lived together for X-amount of years (10 I think), by law, they can be recognized as being, "Married", even if they actually aren't.

I suppose it could be nice if love didn't have to require a lot of legal mumbo-jumbo, but the thing of it is, all that legal mumbo-jumbo is still important, like say if the woman is a dependent of the man, or is in need of life insurance? She won't see any benefits unless she's legally married to the man she's with. Or, as has been mentioned lately in the thread, there's the subject of the kids: what would the identity of the kids be if they were born out of wedlock?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Anything this guy says now just underlines how completely backwards, out of touch with reality, and completely UNChristian he really is. Unless this is all part of a backwards mountain folk ruse (which I'm starting to believe) they put on for the TV series. Something's going to surface that he said something so outrageous that hiding behind Freedom of Speech isn't going to save him.

Seriously... his views are skewed. Marrying women when they're teenagers. Forget the 21st century, this guy needs to get to the 20th first.
I'm not saying I agree with marrying a girl at 16, but in Louisiana (and other states) it is legal. All they need is the parents consent. And in some cases it is legal to marry younger than 16, with the parents consent and a judges consent. It's kind of hard to condemn him for marrying a 16 year old when it is legal and her parents consented to it. Again, I'm not agreeing with it but you can't really hold it against him if it's legal.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
That's not the ruse I'm talking about. The whole bearded mountain person schtick is clearly for the show. They might not have been the WASPy Yuppies that they clearly looked like in that picture. But I doubt they're the backwoods Heck's Angels types they portray on television.
How does his show differ from any other reality show? They are all fake to a degree. From Survivor to Pawn Stars to you name it, they are all highly edited to make them more controversial. Producers intervene all the time to encourage conflict.