Potential New Muppet Show

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Maybe I'm being negative here but I think if this aired on a network this would be killed by how modern ratings are done..it is not even a matter of having high ratings it is a matter of having the rate ratings with the right demographice (Harry's law...the highest rated scripted show on NBC was cancelled because it did not have high ratings in the right demographic). I just cant see something like this working on a network...it would have to be a cable situation.... and to honest I don't want to see studio dc as a regular series... I think it would be nice to see a series of specials with the muppets on the networks...an election special would be nice
The Muppet Show would die. If they made a new more modern Muppet show, I think that would do well, of course, it should be on around 7:00 to 7:30. That would be a good time. 9:00 or something like that would just kill it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
How about a Thanksgiving special? No one does those anymore, or at least since A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.
Actually, they stopped the special sometime in the 90's. I remember the last Garfield one that was produced. They stopped his specials franchise because by then he had the cartoon series on television.

They do make specials from time to time... just not in the same capacity. They had like four or five Charlie Brown specials made in the last decade, and a bunch of hit or miss Christmas specials... okay... mostly miss Christmas specials. They just don't do the "just so" specials with no holiday attachment in the capacity they used to.

Muppets NEED a just so special. No more Christmas PLEASE! We've got enough of that.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I'd love to see a new muppet show pop up on primetime maybe on ABC, but the truth is it wouldn't work. Sure The Muppet Show had a good run, but it took over a decade just so it could air, but it was worth it. It aired 120 glorious episodes with 24 episodes a season, BUT, after that things just didn't go so great. The two other muppet shows that had the muppets (not SS, FR, or Dinosaurs) were The Jim Henson Hour and Muppets Tonight. I'm going to shoot straight when I say that JHH wasn't the best thing the muppets made, because it lacked the muppets a lot. Only Kermit really had consecutive appearances, because well he's Kermit, explanation enough. Besides him Gonzo appeared, I guess, and Link Hogthrob was surprisingly in 7 episodes, heck he was like a main character, and then the new creations like Digit, Clifford, Zondra, etc. But who else, that's certainly not enough. Fozzie Bear a main character appeared what three times, Miss Piggy who's the second most popular muppet in the world appeared like TWICE! Scooter wasn't in a single episode, and Richard Hunt was still around. Regular characters like Bunsen, Beaker and The Swedish Chef had only one episode's screen time. The other 30 min. was the really cool story which fared well. Overall JHH was not what fans were expecting. They were expecting basically the muppet show of the 80s, and that's why there were negative reviews, heck NBC kicked it off after 10 episodes, and a Cosby Show episode filmed to promote JHH aired AFTER the show had already been canceled :embarrassed:. Then came Muppets Tonight. MT fared better than JHH, because it had a muppet feel to it, and it was somewhat like a 90's muppet show. It at least lasted aprox. two years running from March 8, 1996 - February 8, 1998. It had 2 seasons. The first season ran 10 episodes long on ABC, but ended up being shipped to Disney Channel which gave it a second chance a.k.a season 2 which lasted 12 episodes, and then it got canceled. I haven't seen legit reviews for the show, but I believe there were mixed reviews, but Wikipedia says that it had general positive reviews. Thus, comes the end 0f the muppet tv shows. Ok I'll stop rambling like I'm teaching Muppetology 101, and get to the point. A new muppet show just wouldn't work, what I'd suggest Disney to do is to partner up with Me-TV or MY13 and let them air reruns of TMS.

Ok guys lets settle this once and for all. How about the networks all cancel everything they air and replace them with 24/7 muppet shows, movies, and tv specials. TV will then be called Muppet TV. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!:smile: (arms flail)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
(Because the quality of a Muppet production is the amount of TMS characters it uses. By that logic, M11 is the best thing ever.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like when fans desire a new Muppet show, and I'm not talking about the fans here or at Tough Pigs, it seems they want it to be a sixth season of The Muppet Show, only made now, with guest stars and songs that came out since the fifth season, and maybe with some modern effects. But if the Muppets did do a show, I wouldn't want it to be called The Muppet Show or just The Muppets, I'd want it to have a more unique title, like MuppeTelevision and Muppets Tonight did.

I'd like the Muppets to do a new variety show using the theater setting and using mostly characters from TMS, JHH, and MT, as well as include Walter, '80s Robot, and maybe a few new characters here and there (but those characters shouldn't be main characters until at least the second season), but I'd also like the Muppets to actually do a show that doesn't have the variety show/sketch comedy format. I wonder if the Muppets could do a weekly non-variety show well, particularly one that doesn't involve the Muppets putting on a show (a Muppet sitcom could still involve them doing a show at the Muppet Theater or wherever, but wouldn't have to rely on the show itself). Of all the Muppet shows since The Muppet Show ended, Muppet Babies was the one that was successful, and that's the only one that didn't have a variety show format.

I also wonder if the Muppets could do a half-hour series comprising of three 5-8 minute segments and maybe a really short segment or two (like a commercial spoof, a musical performance, a music video, a sketch like the old Muppet appearances of the 1960s and 1970s, or those Muppets.com videos). A format like this: After the opening, there could be a short story involving the main cast, then a short music video, then commercial break, then something like an extended Pigs in Space segment, then a short skit with any character (even some anonymous whatnot or monster characters), then commercial break, and then a final segment focusing on a small number of characters, usually supporting. It could be a Gonzo and Camilla story, or it could star Sweetums, or maybe a day in the life of The Newsman or Angus McGonagle or Uncle Deadley. Of course I feel a show like that would be better off on cable or as an afternoon show.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I'd like to see a series done in a similar fashion to the Muppet Show pilot special, kind of like Sesame Street (or how SS used to be like) but for an older crowd with more focus on comedy. And without the whole educational schtick, of course. Have a main story segment split into parts, with various skits and songs spliced in between the story. Maybe some days even throw in a sub story, and if possible tie it into the main story.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I wanna see a Muppet sitcom that has Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, & Miss Piggy living in suburban households, kinda like Goof Troop or The Looney Tunes Show, the only show we've really seen The Muppets do a show in sitcom type format was Muppet Babies, and that was VERY SUCCESSFUL.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A new muppet show just wouldn't work, what I'd suggest Disney to do is to partner up with Me-TV or MY13 and let them air reruns of TMS.

WHAT?! And dare MeTV to run something on the weekdays that isn't a 12 hour marathon of old Westerns? Not a chance.